Finding a job in Montreal?

Hello,

Im a Danish guy that will be moving to Montreal in May. My girlfriend is from Quebec and will be working there. Its good to see that there are already some Scandinavians in the city :)
Do any of you have experiences in finding a job in Montreal? Maybe any companies or job databases that are good. Or maybe some companies in Montreal who look for Scandinavian employees (who knows? :)
Or is it an absolute requirement to speak french? (because I do not speak it fluently yet)
I have a masters degree from Copenhagen Business School, in Economics and Finance if that helps..

Best regards, Jan

Hi Jan :)  You might be able to help out with localisation of computer games until you find something.  I have been contacted a few times with offers of work to localise games for the swedish market.

I'm not looking for work yet so I can't comment about how to find a job or how much of a requirement french is, but I will post if I hear anything :)

Hej tjejen :)

Thanks for the quick answer. Do you know how I find out more about the localisation of computer games?
And thanks for the help. It would be awesome if you found out any further information :)

Hi Jan,

Welcome to Expat.com!

I have created a new topic as from your post on the Montreal forum for better visibility.

Best of luck,
Christine

While speaking either English or French, Canada's two official languages, is essential you will find it very difficult to get by in Quebec without a solid base in French since it the most widely spoken language in the province. Also Bill 101 the province's French Language Law requires that it be the predominant language in commerce.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

It really depends on what industry you work in and at what level you are at. There are many people in Montreal who work entirely in English. I work in English within a mostly french company, because all the work I do is with international companies and all paperwork is in English. That said, my children are fluently bilingual, attend French school etc. My wife is french as well. I speak medium french.

There are also many companies in Montreal who generate much of their revenue from non-Quebec sources, hence a need for English. To say that you must speak french because its law in Quebec is ridiculous.

If you are solely relying on job hunting in Montreal on job postings online and in the newspapers then you will really find it hard, probably impossible to find something. As there first think people look for is language ability.

My best advice to you is network network network. Montreal is crying out for educated people with overseas experience. Many companies find that Quebec has a talent base of very localized experience, when overseas and international experience is very desirable.

Good luck!

Hello,

I am in the same situation as Jan is (except for the fact, that I come from the Czech Republic). Does anybody have any tips about finding an office job (for this summer) in a commerce related field?

Thanks a lot for any reply! :)

Martina

Hi everyone!!
I am looking for a job as a Assistant technicien pharmacien or medical secretary or techicien laboratoire microbiologique. I am pharmacist. I am from Peru.
I can speak french but it is not as good as English. I have just moved on to Montreal.
Could you give some tips about finding a job?
Many Thanks
Maya

Hi Maya > why don't you post an ad in the jobs in Montreal section. Hope this helps.

[Moderated: Please post your advert in the Jobs in Canada section.]

Conrad - This is helpful, thank you. I actually just started a new thread on this topic, but basically my husband and I want to move to Montreal and we are having a hard time believing that the only jobs for English speakers are in call centers and cleaning bathrooms, which is what the Internet seems to want you to think. Where do you work, and are you aware of other companies like it that are looking for native English speakers? My husband and I are from New York and while my French is good, he is just a beginner. He is willing and happy to learn French but for now, he just received his Masters in Accounting and does not yet speak French. Any advice or intel you have - like lists of small businesses looking for Anglophones - would be so helpful. Thank you!

mariejomar wrote:

Conrad - This is helpful, thank you. I actually just started a new thread on this topic, but basically my husband and I want to move to Montreal and we are having a hard time believing that the only jobs for English speakers are in call centers and cleaning bathrooms, which is what the Internet seems to want you to think. Where do you work, and are you aware of other companies like it that are looking for native English speakers? My husband and I are from New York and while my French is good, he is just a beginner. He is willing and happy to learn French but for now, he just received his Masters in Accounting and does not yet speak French. Any advice or intel you have - like lists of small businesses looking for Anglophones - would be so helpful. Thank you!

Hello and welcome on board

For info, Conrad has been inactive since 2013 as well as this thread. You may not receive any response here.

Best of luck in your expatriation project

Regards
Kenjee