"Ecuador's 115 VAC to 220 VAC Conversion"

Greetings all,

As stated in another post, the switch to 220 VAC in Ecuador is a concern for Expats.

I had hoped and even requested the topic be started. Having received messages regarding this issue, here it is.

The main reason for this switch appears to be that gas is of more value as an export than for use in the country. Given the petroleum situation, this could be the case.

The switch will have various implications, as the electrical infrastructure is currently not suited for the increased demand that will result. As stated before 220 VAC service, is not fed to a residence but made up from combining two 110 VAC circuits.

This is okay, provided it is done correctly. I realize many people may not be familiar with electricity and how to properly and safely build the circuits needed. Much of the work can be done by the average person given they have the correct information and follow the proper steps to ensure safety.

If you have the conversion done by an electrician, from experience I highly recommend using one who is known and trustworthy. If not you could have damage to appliances and even a safety issue.

If needed I can put together a list of tools needed, materials, and the steps to perform the conversion. Safety is the major concern. Coming into contact with less than 1 amp can be fatal, and most lighting circuits can carry as many as 20 amps. A 220 VAC circuit will carry even more.

I found it interesting that 220 VAC was not common throughout a residence. I have found one application, and that was for water heaters for showers, that heat water at the shower head. The electricians will make up 220 VAC by combining two 110 VAC circuits. This can cause an issue if other considerations are not taken to prevent overloading of your circuits. Your standard lighting circuit uses a 20 amp breaker. This is too small for most 220 VAC applications.

I have also seen a serious "Grounding" problem. Electrical service is normally "Grounded", at the embarkation point, the point where service is connected at the primary service panel. Without a proper "Earth" ground or adequate ground conductor (wire) size problems can occur. The 220 VAC circuits you sometimes find are controlled by a dual blade knife switch. You have to attach the conductors yourself or add the proper plugs for connection. The 220 VAC ones we have had, I rewired because the ground wire used was four gauges to small. This will cause overheating of the wire.

Normal 110 VAC service can fluctuate to 120 VAC, the same with 220 VAC. This is a normal by product of Alternating Current (AC). You will not find a constant 110 VAC signal as the signal changes with the cycles, in this case 110 VAC is a 60 hertz or 60 cycle signal. In our house it ranges from 115 VAC to 119 VAC.

Smaller appliances and electronics are now controlled by microchips and transistors. They are designed to tolerate this fluctuation in voltage. Otherwise things would burn up on a daily basis. While a power strip will protect against a voltage spike, or ground it offers no protection from a low power or "Brown Out" situation. The effect of low power to normal and low again is what is as bad as a spike.

Most electronics do not run on 110 VAC as many think, most power levels are reduced and converted to levels as low as 5 VDC, Direct Current. The transistors etc. cannot take high voltages and are sensitive to heat.

GMC(SW) wrote:

If you have the conversion done by an electrician....

There's no "if" about it.  This is not the place to save fifty bucks, or however much.

All Expats who are not licensed to do Ecuadorian electrical installations should not attempt to do this conversion themselves.

Here in Quito, I will have my 115 to 220v work done by José Ordoñez, a licensed plumber and electrician who was recommended to me.  He and his assistant did a perfect job on a faucet replacement for me last week.  Their fee: $50.  His cell phone number is  09-9617 7738.

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia,

Your having a reliable person is great. The problem is that for the average guy, how will he know "who", is an experienced and or licensed electrician?

I have met several people who refer to themselves as an electrician. After a few "simple" questions and seeing their work, it was clear that they were not an electrician. Having the ability to connect wires, or drill holes in a wall does not come even close.

I disagree, almost anyone who can follow instructions, can do what is needed with "basic" tools. The safety aspect is the point of importance. Even in a new construction environment, I saw no evidence of the electrical work needing to be inspected for compliance.

Does this mean is does not happen, no. The issue is that it is not consistent. I worked with a lead electrician for a week in the new construction of an apartment complex. He was knowledgeable and clearly had been doing the job for some time. Even he followed no "punch list", used to ensure reliable job completion and final inspection. He regularly used substandard materials. When questioned about this he told me that this was common due to material costs and the fact that the conductors where run within the concrete wall and posed little fire danger even in the event of a problem.

This of course is not a good thing. Worse is that there is no oversight, or final inspection of the installed circuits. So given the fact that moving a couple wires or adding a wire and, or installing a plug is not rocket science, the average person could perform this. In my mind with the proper instruction and adherence to safety precautions this can be done in a safe manner. I would "Never", recommend a person do anything that would put them in jeopardy. There are many sources of competent instruction on this subject, and I would not expect anyone to take "My" word or any other single sources.

The money involved is negligible. My point is to have the work done properly to avoid future issues. If someone feels confident they can do it that is their choice. I don't think people should feel they have no options, or doubts about the work of another, and given the fact that things work the way they do here, awareness is my main point.

Another point of concern is security.

The fewer unknown people one allows in their home the better. This does not mean that all Ecuadorians are out to get you, but you have no idea who they may tell about your new 46" T.V. Is this paranoia? No, it's basic common sense. If you cannot identify a person as an employee of a company, or they are not known to you they should not be allowed in.

Case in point,

Two women live five doors down from me. They are not Expats. They had work done on the home security system, a few nights later, the power goes out. They get a knock on the door, there are two men claiming to be from the security company there to check the system.

Once allowed in, they took and held the women at knife point, while the house was ransacked. An unknown number of men arrived and removed the goods from the house. Luckily there were no injuries.

My wife spoke to the women, and several key points stuck in my mind.

1. The work was recently done.
2. The men had not been there before.
3. Their's was the only house without power.

I asked if the alarm had a battery back up, and if it was wired to the phone system to alert fire, police, anyone.. They thought it did. They allowed me to check out the system, it took all of 30 seconds to see that the battery was wired, but not connected, and the phone line was connected to a dummy jack going no where. This was clearly intentional.

So what went wrong?

1. The owners failed to check the system for operation.
2. They failed to request identification of the men.
3. They failed to realize the men had knocked on the front door rather than being on the outside of the security gate, which is electric. The power breaker was turned off, at the panel next to the front door.

If you have work done on anything, buy anyone.

Always check to verify it works as advertised prior to them leaving. Always ask in advance, if possible who will be coming to perform the work. Check the persons I.D. to ensure they are the right person, or ask for the company I.D. and their cedula to verify it.

Never let anyone have free roam of your house, close doors etc. and keep workers limited to as few areas as needed. Always be present, so you can see what is going on. If your main breaker panel is located outside, especially on the ground floor. Have a secure cover installed, to limit access.