Obtaining a U.S. Tourist Visa for a Dominican

I was just out on the U.S. Embassy's website for obtaining a non-immigrant Tourist visa for a Dominican, and it seems like it only takes a matter of weeks for a Dominican to obtain a U.S. Tourist Visa.  How long does it really take for a Dominican to get a U.S. Tourist Visa?  What's the typical process?

Thank you.

It normally and often takes  multiple attempts and a lot of waiting.   Many never ever get accepted.  The governments need assurance the visitor will want and need to return home and that is just really hard to prove.  And in many cases they are right to be wary as it is not uncommon for Dominicans not to return!

If you are successful in the application it does only take a couple of weeks.  You simply fill out the application, make a couple of appointments and show up.  Of course you will need to prep your paperwork to support any of your statements.  The problem is most people will not be successful the first time. 

I tried once with my wife.  We went for the tourist visa because we don't want to live in the States.  She was flat out denied.  Not really much of an interview at all.  Didn't even look through the documents we brought.  Very frustrating.  The reason they gave is the common one that they always fall back on which was that there wasn't sufficient reason for her to return here.  I hear and read they look for owning expensive property, minor children and high-end jobs as good reasons. 

So I waited a couple of years and recently tried again and she got a 10 year Visa.  The funny thing is that absolutely nothing has changed since the first time.  Especially nothing regarding her work, her property, her personal (aside from mine) financial status or any children.  So I think its just a luck of the draw and a bunch of BS.  Part of me thinks they just want to see who will apply two or three times and keep paying their $160 application fee.

That 2 or 3 years of being married might have made the difference.... :D   AND I agree,  I often think they just want to add up those filing fees!!!

Most people that are successful count the time to obtain in years.

Bob K