Wire transfers from US to Costa Rica

I would like to know if there is any obstacle or requirement for wire transfers from a US account to a CR account? My mother would have to wire transfer and change her pension (which is deposited in Citibank) and I may also have to make use of the income from my investments.

We wire money from Canada to our account here in Costa Rica quite regularly.  The only restriction that I know of may be with your bank here.  With Banco Nacional we had to state a maximum amount per month that would be transferred here and we are not allowed to exceed that.

No restrictions. If you were to transfer more than $10K you'd have to justify  the moneys. That's for banco BCR. I do not know about other banks and I stay away from City Bank like the plague

When we built our house we transferred $40,000 at a time with no questions.  Once we were here we have the restrictions in our post above.

Thank you. So, yo can make transfers on the Internet from the US account to your account in CR? I am talking about living expenses, like 800 per month.

$800 is not enough to live here ... unless you were paying her living expenses and this is her 'spending' money.
She should be able to get these funds at an ATM.

If she intends to apply for Pensionado Residency, she has to produce documentation saying she is receiving a 'guaranteed for life pension' of at least $1000 per month.

We belong to the Royal Bank in Canada and it allows us to transfer up to $2,500 Canadian per day for a $13 fee.  We do this on line and it generally takes two to four business days to complete.  We have also done wire transfers in larger amounts when we were building our house.

thank you. Could you please give me an estimate of living expenses per month, for 2 people, simple lifestyle? Just food and electricity, water and phone. Do not include renting an apartment. In dollars. I would appreciate any help in this regard.
I mentioned 800 US $ because I have found advertisements where Costa Rica is depicted as a good place for Italians who cannot live on their pension (600 to 800 dollars) in Italy, so I thought that amount would be enough to live in Costa Rica.

This will vary widely depending on your location and what you personally want.  I can tell you that we have prepaid cell phones and we both average about $8usd per month.  Our water bill averages $9usd per month.  Our electricity averages $75usd per month.  I have a category in my finance program that is named "daily living expenses" and that encompasses food, liquor, cleaning supplies, paper products, etc. and that runs us about $700 a month.
I stress that this will vary greatly by your location and lifestyle.  As kohlerias stated above, $800 will not be enough.

Thank you

Long term accommodations do not always  include utilities, cable for TV, internet access. Food is not cheap, especially if it imported, with the exception of local and basic fresh produce.

You will also have to allow for medical expenses and transportation. While public buses are cheap, they are not always convenient to your location.

What you read, is obviously very outdated information

thanks a lot. Well, no, the information I have read is current but I think they are  just trying to attract foreigners who want to invest or live on a pension.

As previously mentioned,  one needs a  'guaranteed for life' pension of at least US$1000 to apply for Residency as a Pensionado
Years ago, it was required to have a pension of at least ,US$600.

Here is a link on the different residency plans

My entire CR Real Estate and RE Development business for over 10 years, is dependent on wires from US and Canada, to Costa Rica. The banks have a normal "know your client" form request to provide documentation and specifics about who sent the $ and why, and as long as that is done correctly, I have never had a problem. We've used BCR, BAC, Banco Nacional, Citi CR and Scotia Bank CR

Raymond

Many people live on $800 a month or less, although it depends on your life style.
Most expenses are for rent, eating out, liquor and extracurricular activities.
$1000 would make it more comfortable,

Lic.Gregory Kearney Lawson
[email protected]

Thank you everybody for your advice and support

Thank you

Is it possible for a resident foreigner to open a bank account in CR? In other countries like Peru, it is very difficult or I think impossible. But how can you function normally without having a bank account in the country where you are planning on living? Is this easier in CR? Thank you

Are you going to be buying a home in CR?

While still  a 'tourist' you will have to 'shop around' to open a bank account, but using private banks rather than the national banks, should l be easier. Unfortunately in the smaller towns there are usually just the National Banks,

Until you are 'legal resident' you can't transfer pay bills or funds electronically on the 'net, to another bank, but can do so by going inside, where the staff will assist you.

We are still awaiting our residency and had no problem opening an account with Banco Nacional in Puriscal about a year ago.  Our friends from the US did the same thing with Banco Nacional near the Multiplaza in Escazu.

I am not sure if I am going to buy or just rent for a time.

And while you are waiting for your residency, what is your status there? Are you a tourist?

Best idea is to rent, and travel around the country, and if later on, you feel CR is for you, consider buying a home.

Remember though, it is very easy to buy...if you have cash...and very hard to sell.

After you submit your application for residency you will receive a Comprobante which means that you do not have to leave the country every 90 days.  The catch 22 is that if you wish to drive after you apply for residency you must leave every 90 days to reset your foreign driver's license.  You cannot apply for a Costa Rica license until you have your Cedula.

Even once you have received your combropante, you are still essentially a 'tourist'. This does not imply that your application has been 'approved', only that it is now 'under consideration' by immigration. From this point, it could still  a year or more to receive your 'resolution' then go on to receive your cedula. You are not covered for socialized health care and still have restricted banking practices at this time.

That is the boat that we are in.  We received our Comprobantes eighteen months ago but still exit every ninety days in order to keep our Canadian driver's license valid.

Good luck with your appeal... :thanks:

Interesting what you are saying about difficult to sell. Well, I do not know my real situation when and if I decide to move. I might not have the luxury of choosing a place, I might just be fleeing from my country, which is Venezuela. So far, I have decided to stay and fight for what I love, what only God knows what may happen to us. Thanks a lot everybody

So, does this mean that you first go to CR and then you request your residency? I thought that you could do that from your home country, and once everything is ready, then you make the move to CR. Could you help me clarify  this doubt?

You can apply before you make the move.  We applied in February of 2014 and moved in September of 2014.  We are still waiting.

Most applicants collect all the necessary paperwork from their home country, then come to Costa Rica  in order  to file their application for residency. Some applicants then return to their home country for a few months or until residency has been approved, and then the final steps are ready to be taken.

Thank you. In my mind, I thought that one has to wait till the visa is approved and then you move. But if the visa is not approved and you have already left your country?

For most countries  a 'separate tourist visa' to visit Costa Rica is not required, just your passport, valid for at least 3 months after arrival date in Costa Rica and a return ticket. The time allowed however, will depend on the country of origin, of 30 or 90 days.  For Europeans or North Americans it is usually 90 days...but this is not guaranteed... and unfortunately, a Venezuela citizen will only be given a 'time stamp' in their passport of 30 days.  You would then have to leave the country, either returning home, or crossing the border to renew your visa, into a neighboring country here in Central America.

So at this point, you are only here visiting...