Tenancy Deposit Refund

I heard stories in Istanbul abut landlord refuses to refund deposit for one reason or another, It is my turn now after  I moved out  from rented appartment for 2 years :( 
- I gave one month notice.
- The appartment paint was old when I moved in.
- The deposit currency in Dollars.

Real estate is managing the apartment, they came with different excuses to keep the deposit, like :
- They will deduct one month rental for maintenance works.
- Re-paint entire apartment.
- Bla bla

The apartment in third top floor and the building is old, some water leaks happened during winter from the roof .not my fault... and they know the exact situation but they are liers,  keeping all deposit is their goal.
I had to repair the gas heater (KOMBI) at my expense for about 200 USD when I moved in........ Real Estate take advantage of me speaking basic Turkish.

The Question:  Is there any protection for tenant deposit refund by laws ?

Thanks

Have you tried threatening them with the possibility of getting police involved?
Perhaps you should actually complain to the police. I know things can be messy for foreigners, but there is no harm actually contacting the police if you're legally clear.

Thanks for helpful advise.

I am out of Istanbul, but if you say that police is taking such disputes then I will try to complain after holidays,

No harm in trying!
Good luck!
Z