Working as a freelancer in Tanzania

Hi,

A lot of expats dream of becoming self-employed: we would like to help you to make that dream come true.

Can foreigners work as self-employed in Tanzania? What are the formalities to work as a freelancer?

What are the pros and cons of this status: social security, tax system, etc.?

How is the freelance market in Tanzania?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Kenjee

Hello Kenjee,
freelance for expats in Tanzania actually doesn't exist as "regular" work format. Many expats do some freelance activities aside a main job, even if employers are not happy because they sponsored a very expensive work permit and don't want to share the human resource with others. Besides, it's not formally legal in Tanzania for a foreigner to make money out of the company that sponsors the work permit. I did it for many years, I'm aware it was not regular though but I liked to freelance and business was doing good. When it became after some times something I was making a living on seriously, I had to quit my other "main" job and my work permit consequently, and plan my way back to another country. Foreigners in Tanzania qualify to self sponsor their work permit only if they come with big investments that allow to employ locals as well - no way for the small business if you are foreigner. Then of course, there are some tricky ways around... But it cannot be taken as a good solution, I think. Tanzania is a very beautiful place, but expats freelancers can find many other places where actually they can develop their business into a legal frame.