Working as a freelancer in Mexico

Hi,

A lot of expats dream of becoming self-employed: we would like to help you to make that dream come true.

Can foreigners work as self-employed in Mexico? What are the formalities to work as a freelancer?

What are the pros and cons of this status: social security, tax system, etc.?

How is the freelance market in Mexico?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Kenjee

Lots of Gringos own businesses where I live.  Most cater to other Gringos that vacation here or live here. Bars, restaurants, bungalows, sports equipment rentals, golf carts rentals and tour guide.

You have to have a resident Visa with permission to work .... but Social Security is only for Mexicans and hey don't all have it.

Can one work part time for a person who DOES have a resident VISA?   I am only planning to be in Mexico four months of each year.

No, as you must first have a Temporary Resident visa and then apply for a visa allowing you to earn income or have a Permanent Resident visa.

saludos

Sonia

Can I obtain a Temporary Resident visa if I am there for LESS than 6 months?

Sonia Diaz Ortega wrote:

No, as you must first have a Temporary Resident visa and then apply for a visa allowing you to earn income or have a Permanent Resident visa.

saludos

Sonia

www.soniadiaz.mx

It has been a while but the last I read, permission to work comes automatically only for people over 60.
Has that changed?

I am over 60 and would like to know that as well.

Permission to work is not automatic for anyone.  It's easier with a Permanente Visa but you still have to let INM know what you are doing

It can be done...illegally.... but you will aways be under the sword of damascus, hanging by a thread and wondering if you'll be caught and deported.

One applies for Permanent or Temporary Resident pre-approval at a MX consulate outside of Mexico. Either visa completed in Mexico. A PR can work but must inform INM and register with SAT. A TR can not work and once they have the TR visa actually issued, they apply for permission to work and at same time INM makes sure you are registered with SAT for taxation.

Age is not relevant nor duration in Mexico.

One can not earn income without going through these steps. This includes being a landlord, musician, selling art, working retail, etc

saludos

Sonia