Advice on paying rent late and being given 1 month notice

Hi,

Due to a series of unfortunate events (salary being received very late) I haven't been able to pay my rent on time. I'm in the 4th month of a one year contract and the owner has given me a cancellation notice saying to be out within 4 weeks - is he allowed to do this?  It is a fully signed and standard contract.  Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

kmmcgk wrote:

Hi,

Due to a series of unfortunate events (salary being received very late) I haven't been able to pay my rent on time. I'm in the 4th month of a one year contract and the owner has given me a cancellation notice saying to be out within 4 weeks - is he allowed to do this?  It is a fully signed and standard contract.  Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Look dear, It's all depend on your contract's due date of rent payment. If you crossing that date then he has the right to give you notice. As you say it's your fourth month of contract. Think be positive if your not giving rent on due dates from last fourth months then he has right to give you one month notice.
Look in the start i also faced same situation. But i find a solution like that.
My Salary appears in my account on 20th of every month. So i make a contract with my landlord from 20th to 20th of every month.

You have few options try these.
1) You can tell your landlord clearly that i pay you on this date of every month and you should be punctual with this date.
2) You can save one extra rent in your account to pay him always on time.
3) You can end this contract and settle remaining payments and ask him to make new contract with respect to your flexible (Salary) dates.     

Try to talk with him and find solution of this problem. Best Of Luck

There is nothing that can't be worked out here. Just give him/her a call and explain the situation. I am sure your landlord will understand. No big deal.

Speak to landlord but more importantly speak to your company and demand you get paid. Contact LMRA for more advice too regarding not being paid.

As the people here have given the advise on speaking to the landlord first, i strongly urge you to do that too.
Im sure you can work something out due to your late salary issues.  Im sure once you speak to your landlord, he will be more understanding towards your situation.

Good luck and hope it all works out.  :top:

Hi,
If the rent has not being paid on the agreed date with the owner, then he has the right to cancel the agreement at any point of time. In this case, the rent has not being paid for consecutive 4 months so the case is genuine on owner's account. You must try to implement the below mentioned points in order to overcome this issue:
1. The most important thing you should do is to talk to your owner about the difficulties you have faced for the salary from past 4 months. You have to motivate him with your justifications & should make him believe in what you are saying is true.
2. The date for rent to be paid should have been finalized by you with the owner but it seems that it has not happened in this case. Finalize the date for the rent to be paid with the owner & you should stick to the agreed date.
3. Salary issues needs to be sorted out with the company on urgent basis because your comittment for the agreed date for the rent with the owner depends upon the release of your previous 4 months salary & salary credit on time for the future.
4. Close the current agreement & enter into the new agreement with the owner, especially incorporating the rental clause with your consent.
5. There will be the safety amount (refundable) which have been given by you to the owner before entering into your agreement, that amount can be used to settle down the rent for 1 month.

Apart from the above mentioned tips, it's upto you only that how you will deal with the situation as it's you only who is feeling the heat of the situation.

Best of Luck...

Just to note - this is the first month the payment is late, it's been a one-off error.

Thanks all for the advice, all sorted out now.

Glad to hear it's sorted out  :top: