Working as a freelancer in Nicaragua

Hi,

A lot of expats dream of becoming self-employed: we would like to help you to make that dream come true.

Can foreigners work as self-employed in Nicaragua? What are the formalities to work as a freelancer?

What are the pros and cons of this status: social security, tax system, etc.?

How is the freelance market in Nicaragua?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Kenjee

I hope you're still following this. What's your occupation? I'm looking into consultancy work myself.

@ Gslindor > Just to inform you that Kenjee is a member of the Expat.com team and he previously launched this topic to encourage members to participate.

If you are looking for a job, feel free to drop a job ad in the in the jobs in Nicaragua section or if you have any questions related to job, feel free to ask so that members can help you out with your questions.

Best Regards,

Priscilla  :cheers:

TGhere is no residency option based upon freelance activity. You can either open a small company (personal company) and get 1 year of residency or invest min. 30,000$ and get instantly 5 years.

Many foreigners have been living here with a tourist visa and make visa runs to CR every 3 months, but as many of them stayed during several years, the migracion is now cutting down on this, like in Panama.

Which freelance activity do you have in mind? Personally I am very critical regarding this topic (I have a company and an investor's visa): Quite a lot of foreigners come here on a tourist visa and offer photography, graphics, website or video production.

For me this is very unfair, because 1) working with a tourist visa is illegal, 2) opening a company and officially applying for residency is complicated and expensive - so I really dislike when people with a tourist visa become competitors to legal companies: They do not pay an accountant, do not charge the VAT and put all their income directly into their pocket, 3) they compete with locals - there are already not very many jobs available, and I know many locals who are desperately looking for a job/an income.

So when you come to a 3rd World country: do it correctly and with due respect of the Law, create a company and offer jobs to the locals!

Salsera,

Good evening!

I have only recently joined this forum, and I am quite impressed with your replies to the different topics presented here, and I am totally in agreement with your response to the current topic.

In my opinion, it is the responsibility of every tourist to respect and obey the laws of the country which they are currently visiting. The country that they are visiting, in this case, is a "third world country", however, does that give them the right to disregard the laws of that country? Absolutely not!  You, as a tourist, are effectively representing your country, and your culture by your conduct,
and by your actions, you affect how both are perceived by the country which you are visiting.  Remember," this is not your house", and conduct yourself accordingly!

Nicawarden