Your experience of culture shock in Sweden

Hi,

Living in a foreign country implies to discover its culture, to learn and master the cultural codes.

How did you deal with that? Share with us your culture shock stories where you experienced a funny or awkward moment in Sweden.

What is your advice regarding the don'ts and what would you recommend to avoid any mistake?

Thank you in advance for sharing your stories,

Christine

Hi:

I was told by my fiancé that the people in Sweden all spoke English. haha.  I relocated to Sjobo near Malmo and found the people in the village to be COLD as ice in personality.  I couldn't believe it nor could my Swedish fiancé.  He was so shocked that people were not friendly and welcoming nor helpful.  I narrowed it down to the fact that all the residents were either born and raised in Sjobo and did not welcome outsiders. 

I left my Swedish fiancé and moved back to Canada.  I have never in my life experienced such a terrible culture/COLD people and I have lived all over the world from Bahamas to Florida to Milan to Athens and Toronto to Cayman Islands and London, England.

Brendy

I am experiencing the same thing. Never in my life how i felt like such an outsider!

I was living in Gothenburg. Even though it wasnt as bad of an experience, i also did feel like an outsider, a lot. If i were to be blond and blue eyed they would have been more welcoming, i know.
At arbetsförmedlingen, woman who was working there told me straight, i dont want to help you. I was reduced to tears... Later i found that she didnt want to help as she was insecure about her English skills but it was still a horrible experience.
My ex boyfriend's friends were in general really good (but still not much warmth to be expected), and his family were extremely amazing but when it came to strangers, they cant care less about you...

Wow! I am sorry you all have had such unwelcoming experiences from the natives. Swedes definitely take some time to warm up, and a very different sense of humor from my experience. Anyone under the age of about 65 has had compulsory English in school, however, if you don't use it you lose it, as with any other second language. I have found that at least being willing to try to learn Swedish has been helpful. I have spent summers in Sweden for the past 17 years, not practicing Swedish in between visits. The younger generation is more than happy to trade tutoring. There is also immersion language class to help one acclimate, and I intend to take them up on that free service. I think foreigners are a bit ostracized by natives due to the loose immigration/asylum laws. I have watched our city deteriorate over the past 10+ years because immigrants have failed to acclimate and do not value what the natives hold dear. I can't blame them for being standoffish. If you are serious about living in a foreign country you have to acclimate to that culture not expect them all to acclimate to yours. Still looking forward to the move...

Yes your are right. "WHEN YOU ARE IN ROME BE LIKE A ROMAN" Thanks for your mail.

Best Regards,
Vinny Adavikolanu