Atlantic coast areas- Share you Experience please

Hi all. We are seriously considering moving to Nicaragua next year, most likely the Atlantic coast. We are looking for peace and quiet and property values that won't put you in the poor house. If you have any experience with the Atlantic coastal areas, I would love to hear from you.

Hello globaletranslations,

Kindly note that I created a new thread as from your post in the Nicaragua Forum so as to help you gain better visibility and response.

Regards

Kenjee

Hi guys, have you moved yet?  I am two weeks new to this blog, that is why I didn't reply last year.  We too are getting ready to move down to Nica in May.  But we are choosing the mainland.  Not sure of which town yet.  We may stay a month + or - in each town just to see what we want.  We have been going to Nica regularly for 35 + years.  Now that I retired recently, it's time.

We have been to the Atlantic side back in 1978 and again in 2000 and the last time was 2005.  The first time we drove to Rama or El Rama, then boarded a paddle wheel boat for the 12 hour trip on the Coco river.  That river is called a few different names by the locals.  It is the river connecting Rama to Bluefields.  You will find some English spoken here.  A lot of French Canadian or Cajun Creole too.  History has it that some Louisiana Plantation owners boarded a ship and put the compass on 180 and a month later landed in Bluefields.  I believe it too.   The beaches here are great.  But for even better go out to Big and Little Corn Islands.  English is the preferred language on Big Corn Island.  There are a few Americans retired there.   

You can fly out of Managua for $100 to Bluefields.  Then take a boat trip, about an hour, to the Corn Islands.  Martha's B & B is a great place to stay.  Her husband is from Big Corn.  He met Martha while working in the Oil Fields in Texas.  They married and spent approx. 30 there in Texas.  They decided to retire in Nica.  Very nice couple.

There were a few rentals on the island in the 200 to 300 $ price range back in 2005.  Probably a tad higher today.  It seems like prices are dropping though.  It may be a good time to look at making the move.  My wife wants to do in in January.  I could be down with that in a heartbeat!  LOL

Let me know how you guys are liking it in Nica......