Looking for a job at Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia.

HY MAI DR BNA chahta ho

M.ikram wrote:

HY MAI DR BNA chahta ho

I don't suppose I could ask you to post that in English; I don't  speak gibberish. :)

It must be the full moon Fred.   ;)

Ubudian wrote:

It must be the full moon Fred.   ;)

Hang on, I'l check .........................

Sorry, been raining and still too much cloud to see it.

Trust me, it was yesterday.  We do ceremonies every full moon here on Bali...every new moon too.

We have no such thing in Jakarta, except maybe at a few of the Balinese temples we have in the city.
I accidentally found one a few months ago. Nice people, and a very interesting place they kept.
I posted some photos on my longer than average picture thread.

One can find Balinese temples in quite a number of unexpected places including this famous one in Belgium.

The link is worthwhile if only to see what a Balinese temple looks like after a snow fall, icicles and all on the roofs…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxcE2Qq8mfc

Sorry just bit correction asean members :

Indonesia,Brunei, Cambodia,Laos,Myanmar ,Singapore, Malaysia, Philipine, Thailand, Vietnam

http://www.asean.org/asean/asean-member-states

So which are the jobs that they actually need... or.. what kind of workforce they cannot find there among indonesian people?

Regards,

VS

What kind of reply you expect now Victor?

What is it what you think you can do what locals can not?

You have special skills?

No special answer my friend... in places like Australia the Government provides a list of proffessions on demand so they offer the opportunity of the Skilled Migration...

Since this is a discussion regarding this topic in Indonesia and I am not sure which are the jobs in need there... I decided to ASK if anyone would know what are the jobs in Indo that locals don´t do or just lack the ability...

Anyway... I am interested in searching for a job opportunity in a foreigner country and Indonesia would be a great choice... I´ve been there for 2 months and from what I could see... there are opportunities in the hospitallity field... such as hotel management, resorts HR and so on.... Also.. there should be jobs for foreigner English Teachers... or even working in the trade business (import/export) and I do believe that being fluent in English and knowing how to deal with people is a great advantage...

So.. that´s the kind of answer and/or discussion I am looking for over here... can you add something to it?

Regards!  Victor

VictorSS wrote:

I´ve been there for 2 months and from what I could see... there are opportunities in the hospitallity field... such as hotel management, resorts HR and so on.... Also.. there should be jobs for foreigner English Teachers... or even working in the trade business (import/export) and I do believe that being fluent in English and knowing how to deal with people is a great advantage...

There are plenty of well trained and efficient Indonesians to fill posts in the tourism and hospitality fields, so your chances are quite limited there.

Forget teaching English - You have to be a native from one of a very short list of countries, and you aren't.

International trade is a possibility, but you have to prove you're qualified, and have a background in the field you wish to work in.

When you've considered that lot, you have to find an employer willing to jump through all the hoops it takes to employ a foreigner, and is willing to pay the fees it takes to hire you.

Perhaps these basics will be of help:
Anything below a degree level education with kill your chances stone dead.
Anything short of wide experience in your field will do the same.
If an Indonesian is available to do the job, you can't get a work permit to do it.

It should be understood that Indonesia, and Bali in particular, is very careful to guard jobs in hospitality and tourism for the local folks.  Moreover, Bali is home to the best tourism/hospitality university in Indonesia, which has been around since the 1970's. 

Aside from the very largest 5 star international chains…Aman, Four Seasons, Ritz, etc, even the top jobs like GM and Executive Chef are positions which are easily filled from the abundant talent of highly skilled Indonesians.

Who else, aside from Indonesians, are better suited to present their country to the foreign visitor? 

No expat I know wants to see the hospitality and tourism business in Indonesia dominated by foreigners...nor obviously do the Indonesians.

Dear Victor

I wish you good luck with your endeavors to add value to this wonderful country. Please do not be discouraged by the comments that you have received thus far from some other members of this board.

It is the case, in many instances, that those that profited early and well from being admitted early to Indonesia now wish to bolt the door behind them to prevent people - especially from BRICS nations and other developing countries - to add their expertise to improve themselves and this country.

It is true that there are many Indonesians that are capable of performing the more skilled jobs in the service sector such as tourism and banking. However, and for whatever reason, there is still a certain status which is attached to a foreign worker, especially by Indonesian owned enterprises. Engineering and other STEM would seem the more obvious point of entry for a foreigner dedicated to jumping through the hoops in order to gain employment and residence in this country since there is no internationally recognizable standard here.

As others have mentioned, Indonesia is going through nationalistic spasms at the moment so it may be difficult to present your case without local support. This support should be at a very senior level in order to assist you efficiently.

Again good luck!

“It is the case, in many instances, that those that profited early and well from being admitted early to Indonesia now wish to bolt the door behind them to prevent people - especially from BRICS nations and other developing countries - to add their expertise to improve themselves and this country.”

I've never heard that expressed by any long time expat here in Indonesia.  Rather, what I do hear expressed by those expats who “played by the rules” and conformed to each and every regulation is a concern over so many illegal foreign workers here who have cut corners, and thus are not competing fairly with other expats…and worse yet, depriving local Indonesians from jobs.  Recent deportation numbers…now in the thousands, support this analysis pretty clearly. 

“However, and for whatever reason, there is still a certain status which is attached to a foreign worker, especially by Indonesian owned enterprises.”

That's an interesting concept, and surely one that I've never heard before.

I'd be curious to know exactly what “certain status” or presumed special appeal that foreign workers would have in the minds of Indonesians who own companies?

indostocks wrote:

Dear Victor

I wish you good luck with your endeavors to add value to this wonderful country. Please do not be discouraged by the comments that you have received thus far from some other members of this board.

It is the case, in many instances, that those that profited early and well from being admitted early to Indonesia now wish to bolt the door behind them to prevent people - especially from BRICS nations and other developing countries - to add their expertise to improve themselves and this country.

Reality has to come first. Most who dream of a jab on Bali have no hope, but some do.
As for BRICS nations expats ~ They have a greater chance than most, especially the Chinese.

... but they have to have the right background.

Fundamentally, I of course agree with Fred's reply '' Most who dream of a jab on Bali have no hope, but some do.
As for BRICS nations expats ~ They have a greater chance than most, especially the Chinese...... but they have to have the right background."

Brings it back to where I mention: skills.

I also acknowledge Ubudian's point concerning '' illegal foreign workers cutting corners'' which would constitute unfair competition to expats that have done things 'by the book' or Indonesians who their own time and effort acquired marketable skills.

My point is that there are skills which a foreigner, such as Victor from Brazil, could bring to Bali in the Services sector. For example, in Bondi Beach (Sydney), a fairly large colony of expat Brazilians, has established itself with bars, restaurants cum take-aways, grocery shops etc has established itself. Brazilians are employed on short-term or medium term basis. This all enriched the local scene and only the most entrenched racists and flat-earthers would see anything wrong with it. They also pay taxes and contribute towards Australia's tourist image.

Bali's beach culture at the middle and top end has also profited from foreign business owners importing new concepts. Most of these business owners are from Western countries and when profitable the Jakartan 'elite' tries to emulate this with varying degrees of success. What I am saying is that these businesses should be allowed to employ who they want for however long they want and that the VISA situation should be regulated according to local needs.

It has been done to death over here by voices more erudite than my own: Business owners in Indonesia would not hire foreigners here if they could get locals. The hassles involved at present just does not make it worthwhile unless very important reasons apply. It almost always boils down to skills levels. As tertiary education is generally abysmal here in STEM and many other subjects that is why hiring an Indonesian with these correct skills is impossible at any price. Or one has to engage in costly search practices in foreign shores to find the places where Indonesians with skills have escaped to and entice them to return.

My point is that there are skills which a foreigner, such as Victor from Brazil, could bring to Bali in the Services sector. For example, in Bondi Beach (Sydney), a fairly large colony of expat Brazilians, has established itself with bars, restaurants cum take-aways, grocery shops etc has established itself. Brazilians are employed on short-term or medium term basis. This all enriched the local scene and only the most entrenched racists and flat-earthers would see anything wrong with it. They also pay taxes and contribute towards Australia's tourist image.

Oh for a perfect world.
One of my greatest loves in England was exploring the massive range of world foods available in that country, but Bali isn't England, and reality tells us it isn't going to get any easier to set up such places in the short term.
I have to be honest, Bali would be enriched by the influx of new cultures, but local jobs would be lost in the short term, so it isn't on the cards.

“I have to be honest, Bali would be enriched by the influx of new cultures, but local jobs would be lost in the short term, so it isn't on the cards.”

If you had ever been to Bali Fred, I highly doubt you would be saying that, because it is in fact Bali's unique culture which is the main draw of tourism to the island. 

In Bali the concerns goes way beyond preserving jobs for the locals…rather it goes directly to the heart of the Balinese way of life. 

As it is, Bali has pretty much abdicated Kuta…which reflects almost nothing of Balinese culture any longer.  Ask your average Balinese and the overwhelming agreement is no desire to see that happen to the rest of Bali.

No, Bali would not be enriched by an influx of new cultures, rather, it would be destroyed by that event, and that is the main reason it isn't going to happen.

Thanks for the reply and for the information given. I will take that in consideration and keep searching for the righ opportunity.

Kind Regards!

VS

Hi Fred,

I see that it is very difficult to find a job in Indonesia for foreigner people, but I see also that in Bali there are anyway some australian and american working legally there.
How do they do that?
Can you tell me which are the jobs that a foreigner can apply to in Indonesia?
I am from italy....

Thanks a lot for your help!
Alice

See this

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 05#1435340

Thank you Fred!

When you write nursery service, do you mean "at the hospital"?
As nursery in europe can also be at the childcare...

Just a response to the "history lesson."

Completely incorrect. There was fierce resistance to the Dutch in Buleleng. It took three invasions before the Dutch were able to gain control of the north. My own kampung, which is just at the old harbor, was flattened three times by the Dutch. The residents, Bugis people fleeing the Dutch in Makassar, had a strong relationship with the rajah and were the first line of resistance. And even after the Dutch had taken control, there were guerrilla warfare attacks for a number of years throughout Buleleng.

This comes from a well-written and researched bachelor's thesis by a young Indonesian historian using primary resources from Indonesian scholars.

Nursing, not nursery

Where is the indonesian temple in Belgium?

Best ask in the Belgium forum.

Mosque, Church, Chapel, Tempel - Hindu, Buddist, ?

And be specific

I'm muslim,  and i live in bogor,  but if have job for me at bali, i will accept that job,  thanks  ;)