About the health system

My name is Chris and I'm from Australia. I am 66 years old. I have posted here before. I will be coming to Siem Reap in about 5 weeks on the 22nd October 2015 for a week as a final look before I decide to retire. I would like to meet with as many expats to pick their brains about living in Siem Reap. I will be staying at the Central Boutique Ankor Hotel in Tarpul. Thank You. Chris

Hello Chris, if you have any questions or concerns about living in Siem Reap I can def. help out. I've been here for three years with my wife and we love it here! Nice to meet you.

my main concern is the health system. Chris

Hello Chris,

Welcome back  :)

I created a new thread from your post and the feedback you had on the Siem Reap forum.

what do you want to know about the health system ? Any precise questions ?

Best of luck,
Bhavna

my main concern is that I have a heart condition and I am worried that if I need treatment can I get it in S.R. or should I fly back to Australia for treatment? Chris

Hey Chris, I come to Siem reap often (I'm here right now) for pretty well the exact circumstances you speak of, my issues are neurological following a TBI; then followed the migraines including epilepsy. Long story short I find the Pharmacies in Siem Reap extremely helpful in all things drug related - basically pain management. I cannot advise you of further heath care, hospitals and alike but my experience in Thailand easily beats the western medical system through diligence and attention to detail (or no worse than) with instant service - these people actually care. I'm originally from Melbourne and suggest you would not need to fly back to Australia 'in a time of need' at worst Phenom Penn may be required or perhaps Bangkok. Not Australia, in an acute emergency repose situation Australians cannot be beaten but their follow up care in my opinion leaves a fair bit to be desired. My experience is fairly in-depth, 20 years since the original accident - I'm 39 years of age, Centrelink sent me here Thailand 'SE Asia' as it was more cost effective for them long term ($ look into this too) and I boarder jump due to legalities in Thailand with drugs. There are a number of insurance policies offered which in my situation are expensive but you should look at this carefully (and are budget driven); both Western and Asian companies - my experience showed Asian policies were far more comprehensive and included greater included services/benefits and offer superior price scales.
I think you have nothing to worry about, come over here relax, eat some good food with some chilli (less cholesterol) and your health issues may subside somewhat - it is amazing how your body reacts to a less stressful environment and positive state of mind, maybe even find a little exercise you enjoy - taking it easy man. Send me a line if you need a bit more help. Be well
I wish you well mate.

thanks for the support Mike. I will be moving to S.R. at end of May and I think I might have it covered. there is a hospital that is connected with Bangkok hospital along the road to the airport that I will check out. you are right that a relaxed lifestyle can do wonders and that is what I am looking for after over 50 years in the hospitality industry, the last 14 years as the night manager of both a 4 star hotel in Canberra and a backpack hostel in Mount Isa. 8 years there of stress. I think I'm well out of it. I will keep in touch and when you next get to S.R after the end of may PM me. OK. see you then. Chris

Hey Chris, Yeah I understand you fully in relationship to night work; it's not good for anyone - I did it for a long time ago as a bouncer in Melbourne and it screws your body clock up permanently. I'm sure 5 years of retraining will set you straight (sleeping before 4am), yep I remember those hours night after night. I totally believe your idea of a SE Asian relocation is a very good one, I pretty well guarantee you will not look back.  I live in Chanthaburi which is a pretty big Thai 'city' including 2 major shopping centres not that far over (30min) the Thai/Cambodian boarder; I'm really not that sure about Siem Reap and it's layout as I said my whole purpose here is to acquire pain relief mediation then go home. The pub street has wonderful restaurants (Big fan of 'The Sun') is a great bonus and we usually stay @ Mothers Home Inn, I don't drink/smoke as it has negative impact on my health and gave it up many years ago + it's bloody expensive. Bangkok hospital from my experience gives extremely good INSTANT service, unlike Australia were we'll take your booking for mid next month (and by the way, we're doing you a favour) you just don't experience that sort of bullshit here. Look forward to catching up for a meal sometime and stay in touch by all means [email protected] or Line +66983528949. You need a rest man, make sure you bring plenty of books and a laptop computer (or acquire one here). I come to S.R. 4 monthly and its 45 degrees at the moment, so be sure to find a house or apartment with GREAT air-conditioning, its imperative.
See ya soon mate Mike