Street foods in Jakarta

viewedit wrote:

I came back 20 days ago to mumbai.. will be back in Jakarta probably in few months... came here to organise funds for a new production house which wants to make indonesian movies.. I am employed as their in house film director...
Imagine i am employee and they asking me to garner funds for their films...lol

If my wild guess is near the mark and you're a veggie with religious reasons not to eat meat, you shouldn't have much of a problem with veggie food in Indonesia, save the usual bacteria and such that comes from poor handling, nothing that someone from India isn't likely to have seen more than a few times.

My photography hobby takes me all over Jakarta and the surrounding area so, whilst I still have masses to learn, I have a pretty good handle on street life around here.
If you're in Jakarta when I'm free, It would be my pleasure to buy you lunch.

Fred wrote:
viewedit wrote:

I came back 20 days ago to mumbai.. will be back in Jakarta probably in few months... came here to organise funds for a new production house which wants to make indonesian movies.. I am employed as their in house film director...

If my wild guess is near the mark and you're a veggie with religious reasons not to eat meat, you shouldn't have much of a problem with veggie food in Indonesia, save the usual bacteria and such that comes from poor handling, nothing that someone from India isn't likely to have seen more than a few times.

My photography hobby takes me all over Jakarta and the surrounding area so, whilst I still have masses to learn, I have a pretty good handle on street life around here.

Thanks man,, for the lunch..
I am non veg eater! will prefer nonveg if ur treating lol... a good maskan  serhana padang would be great!
Will mesg u once I am back! too bad they stopped serving beers in sefels lol

viewedit wrote:
Fred wrote:
viewedit wrote:

Thanks man,, for the lunch..
I am non veg eater! will prefer nonveg if ur treating lol... a good maskan  serhana padang would be great!
Will mesg u once I am back! too bad they stopped serving beers in sefels lol

Rats - I'm wrong again :D

Padang food is somewhere around amazing, so I'd love the excuse to find a good restaurant.
I don't bother with the booze any more (long story - not alcoholism or even slightly religious), but nothing stopping you enjoying a beer.

Fake booze is available in 7/11 - seems pointless, but you can get it.

there was a time a few years ago that " used frying oil " was big business for resell to vendors, so imaging would you would get, food fryed up in black oil which causes all kind of terrible deseases, so it was forbidden to sell by the Government, since they do al kind of razias now on food stores, and on alcohol, only during the Ramadan :)) we will be okay this month. But then seeing that drinking water facilities illegal operate and selling 2000 gallons of " drinking water " from the Cilliwung river, I am not surprised that people did not die, they found out after a lot of people buying from vendors in east Jakarta got diareha, the factory was working for 10 years. Seeing that 50 percent of all noodles are treated with Formalin, the famous Baso meatball treated with Borax and Pig meat, and Krupuk which was sitting in drums for months, made from cow skin, were treated again with all kind of chemicals, fried up again, and sold on the street, I am still wondering what to eat now a days, I think I stay with home cooked meals, or buy from a trusted store, seller, if there are any, welcome to Indonesia :)

there was a time a few years ago that " used frying oil " was big business for resell to vendors, so imaging would you would get, food fryed up in black oil which causes all kind of terrible deseases, so it was forbidden to sell by the Government, since they do al kind of razias now on food stores, and on alcohol, only during the Ramadan :)) we will be okay this month. But then seeing that drinking water facilities illegal operate and selling 2000 gallons of " drinking water " from the Cilliwung river, I am not surprised that people did not die, they found out after a lot of people buying from vendors in east Jakarta got diareha, the factory was working for 10 years. Seeing that 50 percent of all noodles are treated with Formalin, the famous Baso meatball treated with Borax and Pig meat, and Krupuk which was sitting in drums for months, made from cow skin, were treated again with all kind of chemicals, fried up again, and sold on the street, I am still wondering what to eat now a days, I think I stay with home cooked meals, or buy from a trusted store, seller, if there are any, welcome to Indonesia :)

yes its always coconut milk ( santen )

Usually they just use the cheap oil base from palm oil.  Nothing to worry about.  If you're a Westerner, chances are that you will get an upset tummy.  If they cook rendang, mostly thick coconut milk in their cooking and perhaps these may not be tasty to you.

As for the kuih muih, they used mainly flour, cornflour, rice flour or tapioca flour to make the Malay cakes.

I suggest eat food in the malls first, and when you start liking any dish, than only you can try the hawker's fare.