Your experience of culture shock in Montenegro

Hi,

Living in a foreign country implies to discover its culture, to learn and master the cultural codes.

How did you deal with that? Share with us your culture shock stories where you experienced a funny or awkward moment in Montenegro.

What is your advice regarding the don'ts and what would you recommend to avoid any mistake?

Thank you in advance for sharing your stories,

Christine

My only real culture problem is TIME. When i say I am going to do something I mean I am going to do it NOW.  In MNE then 'now' seems to mean at some vague time in the future.  If someone says they will be there at a certain time ... don't expect them for at least an hour after that (half an hour if they are desperate to impress).  If someone tells you they are doing some task you have asked, or are 'going to do it' (e.g. finding out some information that is VITAL to you) then DO NOT wait ... because you will likely die of old age before you see a result.

Also, I am not used to 'corner-cutting' ... if something is worth doing then it is worth doing properly ... in MNE if something is worth doing then it's worth bodging ... even though the costs of rectifying the bodge will far outstrip the cost of doing it right the first time. 

This is not really peculiar to Montenegro though, it is something shared will pretty much all of the southern European nations.  In Montenegro however they have turned it into an art.

Hi

its some time to adapt to a new place , but it is not culture shock

Homoud.only wrote:

Hi

some things are hard-wired into our DNA, our very soul, there can be no adaptation on those things ... just thinly masked frustration ;)  It will never be acceptable - we just learn to hide our disappointment (in public).

RyanCurtis wrote:
Homoud.only wrote:

Hi

some things are hard-wired into our DNA, our very soul, there can be no adaptation on those things ... just thinly masked frustration ;)  It will never be acceptable - we just learn to hide our disappointment (in public).

If you so dissapointed that you have to hide it (just wonder ;0) - what is still keeping you there? masochism, money? be fair bro  :cool:

eddies wrote:
RyanCurtis wrote:
Homoud.only wrote:

Hi

If you so dissapointed that you have to hide it (just wonder ;0) - what is still keeping you there? masochism, money? be fair bro  :cool:

I love it there, despite the frustrations of dealing with a different culture (which I believe was in fact the topic of the original thread). Sorry to have confused anyone.

p.s. I don't live there, I live in England, but I have worked throughout the Balkans, and have visited Montenegro often because my partner is from there.

eddies wrote:
RyanCurtis wrote:
Homoud.only wrote:

Hi

You would love it more if spent at least a year. In a few years frustrations would have gone  ;)
Sorry for a verjuice

eddies wrote:
eddies wrote:
RyanCurtis wrote:

You would love it more if spent at least a year. In a few years frustrations would have gone  ;)
Sorry for a verjuice

As soon as I complete my PhD I will be moving south ;)

RyanCurtis wrote:
eddies wrote:
eddies wrote:

Sorry for a verjuice

As soon as I complete my PhD I will be moving south ;)

Yeah, someone gotta bring the "love of wisdome" back to the South ;)
Good luck and all the best!