Relocating to Gibraltar - what is the cockroach situation there?

Hi everyone.  Me, hubby and two children are considering relocating to Gibraltar from Hertfordshire, UK .  We have been toying with the idea for many months and think that we would be very contented with the way of life Gib offers.  We are considering moving within the next 12-18 months but meantime would appreciate much needed advice on some very minor and niggling questions.

I am aware of the apes that descend into town on Sundays but would someone be able to tell me what the situation is with cockroaches.  I would be able to tolerate the odd creepy insect in the home but would not be able to tolerate these horrible things.

Are older buildings most prone to cockroaches than say new build homes?

Thanks

Kaz

We have not seen any cockroaches here we have been here 6 weeks and we live in the north side (quite old compared to the rest of gib). As almost every property is an apartment I don't think you would have to worry!

Hi,

We live in an old building and we do get cockroaches. They are mainly in the communal area's of the building but we get the odd one in our flat. We got quite a lot last summer so we had a pest control company in and so far we haven't had another infestation. The odd one we get is rare.

Good luck with your move :-)

Thanks for this. I suspect these grotesque things are everywhere and I would be foolish to think otherwise especially as I have an ingrained phobia on them. 

We are travelling to Gibraltar next April to look at property to buy and would welcome some tips /advive on locations and eestate agents.

Karen

- propertygibraltar.com

We rent.......property to buy is out of our reach :-( However if money was no issue I think we would probably buy in the South District simply because it is quieter there. Or maybe at Catalan Bay for the gorgeous views :-) I think most of the estate agents are similar. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Cockroaches are around but not everywhere and you do become used to them honest!

Nic

Hi everyone,

Some inappropriate / off topic posts have been removed from this thread.

Thank you.

On the ape issue, I've only seen a pair of well behaved apes off the rock once in two months. And it wasn't in a busy area like the city centre.

There are cockroaches, sorry. I don't see them that often though, and they tend to run away.