Immigration lawyer frustration

I have found an immigration lawyer in Iceland to help me plan the process and advocate my case if needed.  However I've found that it is hard to communicate with her.  I will be in Reykjavik later this week (and told her so a month ago).  I've asked her three times in the past 4 weeks when she is free to meet and start the process, and she only gives me vague answers.  And no, she is not part of a scam.  Is this relaxed style of professional service common in Iceland?  If she can't even set up a meeting efficiently, I'm beginning to wonder if she will have my back when things get crucial, even though I am paying her!!  Should I look for another lawyer?  Any suggestions?

what exactly are you planning to use this lawyer for? I can say from personal experience that the paperwork for work visas is not very hard, and is very doable by yourself. The challenge will be to get the job itself. After that the paperwork isn't difficult at all. I always did all my paperwork myself- work visa, renewals, permanent residency, citizenship.

This lawyer's unprofessional behaviour is not common for professional services and I would definitely not pay someone if they're supposed to be serving me and are behaving that way. I've only had one dealing with lawyers in Iceland and they were completely responsive. This was through one of the biggest unions in the country, VR.

I have a lawyer for a number of reasons.  First, to make sure I am not misinterpreting the immigration laws.  Secondly, to look over the timeline I have put together of everything I need to do to become a citizen and let me know if I missed anything.  Thirdly, to advocate for me if there is a bump in the road, such as a work permit denied.

I'll check out that union if this lawyer doesn't get back to me by the time my flight lands....  thanks.

you do know that to achieve citizenship takes YEARS of residency, right? I just think that unless you're flush with cash the lawyer (especially one like you're describing) is totally not worth the money. I also think that the hardest part of this is really going to be finding the job, and once you've gotten the job, the firm that hires you should be able to help you with whatever small details might be required to get the paperwork through (health insurance, housing, etc).

but based on your case now as you describe it, everything's really straightforward. You're not immigrating with other people, you're looking to get a standard skilled worker visa based on employment, I'm assuming you don't have a criminal background or any other possible impediment to getting a visa. Why hire a lawyer now when there's really nothing they can do other than tell you that you need a job and might want to prepare the background check from the FBI in advance?

I have read every link/page on Iceland's immigration rules website and I do know that it takes years to become a citizen.  I really feel most comfortable with a lawyer to help me plan because I found that there were a lot of details on the immigration website that were not necessarily listed in chronological order.  I imagine that I'll just need a few hours of the lawyer's time up front, and if there is a bump in the road later on with renewing my permit, I will already have a legal advocate familiar with my case.  The lawyer with whom I have been in communication  agrees that I will likely just need a few hours of her time up front.  To me, it's worth the expense.