Marrying a Jordanian man - Need your advice - 2015

I too want to thank you for opening up this forum.

I recently met a man on a dating site who lives in Jordan...I am in the U.S. We clicked very quickly and speak now of  being in love. He is charming, funny, well spoken, and claims that he wants to spend his life with me.

We spend hours at a time on Skype. I have allowed others to steal the joy he brings me because there's always that stigma that he only wants a visa. Which end he promised to never ask me for.

He says he would live anywhere on the planet as long as it's with me. I want to believe in him.. As it insulting to say you love someone and then not trust their words, he pointed out.

I knew I wanted to be with him almost immediately. I truly believe I've found my Penguin " soulmate " and he as introduced me to his family.

Out side of the fact that he was married before to an American woman" she came back to the states leaving him there and taking his money. Which is what he fears I will do.

Funny! He wants me to come to Jordan to be with him. And marry in the future. Please help! My heart is so there my mind hears the horrible stories about women getting used.

I believe men will lie and cheat ( woman too) regardless of where they are from. I just want to love him..

He calls me his wife already and has asked me to be his girlfriend ( I read that Jordanians don't use  this term) he did it to please me.

Which is all he has done since we started talking. He wants to judged on what he does not what others have done. Don't we all! Does anyone have advice on this?

Remember if you can't say something nice...

Don't say anything.

Hello Flawseeker

A new thread has been created as from your post to help you get more visibility and interaction on the Jordan forum

Regards
Kenjee

My sweetheart...

From my case,first keep in your mind that will be another person when u talk online or u meet anywhere else (except Jordan) and another person i u are in Jordan.If u can handle this ok continue...
I learned also that, if he is a traditional man...he can have a gf without marriage...so he will ask u or for a costumary marriage of for official marriage. (U have to check your rights in any case!)
im a European girl and i m not in hurry to marriage,i prefer to know better my future man...and his pressure to married or we will talk from messages or on trips disturbs me...i want to get married with him but i have still some doubts...
the truth by the way is that pretend a lot...and most at their selfs....anyway...
be positive & calm! :)

Hello Flawseeker,

I know you only want confirmation for what you plan on doing, that's obvious from the overall tone of your posting. You really need to take off your rose colored glasses before you take a blind leap of faith that has the potential to destroy your life. There are thousands of horror stories and they're all TRUE.

Do yourself a huge favor and read the following topic threads. The issue of marriage in Jordan has been discussed numerous times, and the advice has been given numerous times too.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=79629https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=451256

Of course there are successful marriages between expats and Jordanians, but for the most part they are ticking time bombs just waiting to explode and the results are catastrophic. Read the postings carefully, compare what is written by many of our members to what you see in your relationship and think with your head because you can't afford to trust your heart. I'm not going to give you any advice other than that because it's all been said many times before in the topic threads I've linked to, and in several others on this forum.

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

Eva ah wrote:

... if he is a traditional man...he can have a gf without marriage...

Unfortunately its your experiences but if he is a really traditional man, as you said, then he will have NOT a mistress or dating with a woman without the intention to marry her (i.e. when he's engaged).

Try to find out if she's honest, why she wants to marry, ask her tricky questions, why she's willing to move despite of James plea for wide awakeness,  why she wants to hear only nice things... btw, James loves such anecdotes and knows  (don't ask me how, he simply does) everything people write here is true..
good luck

Dear Primmadona

Don't get forced from last threads...
It's a mistake...i want to write "Can't has..."...read again the sentence and get the meaning..."he will ask for costumary or official marriage..!" :)

Eva ah wrote:

Dear Primmadona

Don't get forced from last threads...
It's a mistake...i want to write "Can't has..."...read again the sentence and get the meaning..."he will ask for costumary or official marriage..!" :)

Everyone makes mistakes, no worries, thanks for clearing this.  :top: