ATM's

Hi does anyone know of an atm that dispenses more than 5m vnd and what their fee is ? i have been using agri bank atms but they only max at 5m and charge only 20,000. Also any tricks for transferring money cheaply to here without incuring bank fx fees etc would be appreciated. for a 5m vnd withdrawal my australian bank charges me a $5 atm fee + $7 fx fee + the lousy exchange rate !

Citibank ATMs allow a maximum of 8,000,000 vnd with nominal fees. Can't do anything about the fees from your home bank. They'll be the same no matter where you withdraw.

panda7 wrote:

Also any tricks for transferring money cheaply to here without incuring bank fx fees etc would be appreciated.

For long term expats who want to transfer money many times:
The trick the locals use is to find someone who has the need to transfer the money the other way, i.e., from Vietnam to Perth or to Australia (in your case). Many have money they want to transfer. Just don't ask me where they get that money from :). You transfer money to their Australian account and they give you the VND: very tight spread and nearly no fee. Big business here, at least for USD/VND exchange, I heard :D.

Most ATM's have limits, even lower in some countryside locations.

Vietnamese communities in other countries all seem to have unofficial bank transfer services.

As Anetta explained, they are after the foreign currency so they will be happy to do business. Have a friend/family to inquire at any Vietnamese store in your home community. They are trustworthy, I used them to move blocks of $10,000 when I was building here last year.

The money usually takes two days to arrive and is often delivered to your home.

ANZ is a handt bank for transfers from down-under. Maximum fees should be around $15 - SWIFT TRANSFER. You need to set up an Oz Dollar account to put the money into otherwise they will convert it tp Dong.

thanks, I checked the citibank website and for ATM's in nha trang it comes up with dongA atm locations, so is there actually a citibank ATM and if so could someone tell me its location. I tried donga bank and it maxed out at 3,500,000.

Thanks for the tips about sending the large amounts...

There is no Citibank ATM in Nha Trang, and they recommend you to use either ANZ or DongA.

open a bank account- in of the partner bank of your home country and make a decent transfer. You will loose about 12% at any VN Bank , which are not a partner to your home bank.

ok I found out Techcombank ATM's in Nha Trang will give you 6,000,000 vdn (I didnt try for more than this). They also didn't charge a fee. My Australian bank charged me AUD$13 for the transaction though.

panda7, if you do online banking you might want to check your current statement. I thought that  Techcombank ATM's had stopped the withdrawl fees also. I just checked my statement and they hit me for $3.36 USD for one transaction, plus my bank charged me $5.00 also.

ok thanks I will check and report back, it might take a few days to show up....

yes Techcomm's atm is more expensive than Agribank's...

Last withdrawal I made one of the 500,000 notes had a small piece missing out of the corner. None of the Vietnamese would take it. My Vietnamese friend tells me this is normal and to take the note to the bank and they will exchange it for a good one.

So I did this and they exchanged it no problem...

Anyone have 2015 info on ATMs in Nha Trang? I think I have tried them all and I can only get 2 million vnd per pull with an Australia issued Master Card.

I was short of cash, so I used an Exim Bank ATM which had no fee, but my bank in Australia charged a percentage plus a flat fee totaling $8!!!

I've opened a local bank account. I think I'll just pay the $35 telegraphic transfer fee and send money from Australia to my local account.

I am not sure if any bank/investment company would offer this in Vietnam, but there are U.S. banks that offer a VISA debit card and you pay -0- fees, no matter where the customer uses an atm around the world.  The reason is that one perk of these accounts is that the customer does not pay any atm fees for any withdrawals.  Thus, when you withdraw VN Dong, you get what you ask for and the atm charges are reversed on your statements.

http://nhatrangtoday.vn/Thong-tin-khac/ … ng-213.htm
some info about ATM

The maximum amount I've been able to withdraw in Nha Trang has been 3M from Agribank ATM's with my US debit card with a 22,000 VND fee. It's a damn pain at the end of each month to have enough in VND to pay rent and school tuitions. Anyone have leads on where I can withdraw more at one time?? Much appreciated!

tinylichen wrote:

The maximum amount I've been able to withdraw in Nha Trang has been 3M from Agribank ATM's with my US debit card with a 22,000 VND fee. It's a damn pain at the end of each month to have enough in VND to pay rent and school tuitions. Anyone have leads on where I can withdraw more at one time?? Much appreciated!

I did the ATM thing for years and now just go to the VCB here in Can Tho hand them my debit card and US passport and tell them how much I want. They change 3% and B of America in the States charges me another 3%. It works out about the same for me because on top of the 22,000VND Agri also debited my account for another $4.50 for each transaction as did B of America  they tacked on another $5.00 for each transaction. So I was paying about $9.50 to get 3mil VND. I just do it once a month and save the trips and standing in line. Are you sure that's all that your being changed?

Hard to say... I've only been only doing the ATM thing for a few weeks now. My US bank placed an international travel notification on my accounts for a year and CLAIM there will be no foreign transaction fees. So far I haven't seen any on my online banking but will have to see at end of statement cycle. If I am calculating correctly, I am getting about 22,300 VND for 1 USD from my bank which isnt too terrible. I'd just like to get more per transaction though!

where is the location of citibank Atm in nha trang?

There is no Citibank or Commonwealth bank in nha trang. Best bet is to go into the local banks and ask them as Budman1 mentioned above. They could charge you more than 3%, make sure you ask them.