Moving to Tunisia in June! Any fellow Americans out there?

Married or not everyone goes through the same tedium. Quittance (from bureau de finance of which many are dotted around Sousse) increased from memory from 50 to 150 tnd. (bought so many of the blasted things they are all blurring).  There are other documents you need but you get an automatic 3 month visa so time to get it sorted...it will test your patience to the limit...Bureau des Estrangers is in Kantoui @
Police Station.  They speak little or no English by the way. But your husband can sort this out surely? 

If you get stuck I can ask my married friend Rachel if the process differs. People like me (not working) have to prove we can keep ourselves. No lump sums regular forever monthly sums into a Tunisian bank account.

Banks argghhhh like the 1950s and little or no due diligance! Mafia paradise here .. Seriously, seriously .. keep an account back home so you have access to money elsewhere. I can talk you through this more but as you CANNOT move TND out of the country or convert back into sterling you MUST be careful how you handle your financial arrangements. Most banks are poxy here but Biat and Societee General seem reasonable. This is a cash country too. ATM cards rarely work in handhelds ...

At your age you will get bored here. It's not Europe and all the things we take for granted like multi-plex cinemas/shops/decent restaurants and mega sports facities aren't here. Private gyms are expensive compared to wages here. Again hair/beauty compared to what we pay is cheap but not on a single wage  unless your guy is a junior doctor or something. 

Hope that helps. At least at your age I'm encouraged. The younger Tunisians are keen for their country to progress further (its come a very long way in a short time).and are normally fun and friendly. It's much harder for people my age outside the ex-pat community.

I can also show you the places to go for a good night out - music/dancing etc.

Thank you carole.

Thr carte de sejour sound a pain in the a** :(

My fiance will do all the talking etc but if you could give me any more info on it that would be great! As far as i can tell if we are married he signs responsibility for me and i dont need to prove wages etc.

Ive been looking at bank accounts etc and all charge so much to get cash out i thought getting a tunisian bank account would be a good idea

Yes im well aware of the bordeom situation haha... spend most of my time at salon de the! I am very into horses so id love a donkey but i dont think our finances would stretch to it sadly :(

hi and welcome to Tunisia .a lot of  what  Carole told u is True however this Tunisia and Tunisia is unique I love the old Tunisia the old regime the 6million tourists that visit Tunisia every year any way I have some advice about bank account .its very complicates u can't send money abroad I can't talk in this site properly any way I know I have Tunisian bank account but in pounds sterling which mean I can take may money any where in the world so u can do the same (I believe)

Carte sejour generally (but get list beforehand as law constantly changing & it  may differ as you are a "wife")

* 2  copies Quittance carte sejour  150 tnd (unless it gone up again) buy 1 & photocopy
* 4 passport photos (easy to get)
* 2 copies of your passport with photo on PLUS page of visa entry stamp
*2 copies of contract de location (signed by authorities cost 1 or 2 tnd & almost next door to police station) 

Anything official take your passport they do nothing without it.

Take several copies of everything - they are great at loosing stuff. Everything is paper based believe it or not.

Been into several recette de finaces. They are as friendly as a cobra .. no English go with a french or arabic speaker because if you don't know exactly what you want they will not help. Best early morning. Most official places shut 1230/1300 don't re-open until 1500. Throw back from Frebch occupation.  Ramadan never seem to be open except few hours in the morning or simply shut at random times.

Get it done asap ..Sousse has a massive backlog. Or go to Hammamet they might process quicker there.

Essentially, their main concerns are that you can keep yourself eg not on the street begging nor a threat to national security. Don't overstay on a visa.  You won't be arrested but it just complicates things.

There's a guy locally that does horse riding not sure what he charges by the hour but not horrendous. My friend loves horses and I'm sure will chat to you about them. Like I say best bet for you are reps and younger stay at home mums. I'm going to connect with an American group later in the year. If I find some younger ones I'll let you know.  I know a terrific young lady, Tunisian, single, modern, very bright at uni, she might want other friends or intro you.

Whilst the economy has been stable for some years tourism (a major contributor to the economy) as been depressed the last two. It's still not clear whether or not there may be devaluation of the dinar over the next few years or what measures the IMF are going to impose in Tunisia. Whether it swings in Tunisia's favour or not it's best to have a Plan B.

By all means a TDN account but seriously DO NOT keep ALL your money in TND. Keep some emergency money back in the UK even if you don't draw on it. Stirling is performing consistently well against the dinar. Get a UK credit card even if you tuck it in a drawer or give it to a trusted friend for safekeeping incase of need. If anything happened and you needed to leave how would you get out?  This is a closed currency remember and linked to the Euro which is doing poorly at the moment!   What about your medical bills?

Is your husband Tunisian? Do you know what your rights are as a Tunisian wife?  Sounds like something from the dark ages when a husband "signs for you".. are you clear what that means?

Also watch rental agreements. Don't sign anything you don't understand, especially if your husband signs on your behalf. Most wouldn't stand up in a court of law if there was a dispute. I re-drafted mine. 

Last but not least don't be afraid to challenge. If you are not clear about something, don't understand or worried ASK. This is a BIG step in YOUR life ok?

Bringing a car in. Don't bother!

Anyhow you have the benefit of my knowledge gained over 9 months of endless running about, tireless translation, buckets of tears,  costly mistakes, frustration enough to knock a brick wall down with you head  and a cumulative total of over 3 weeks time just errgghhh waiting...

Over and out...

Yes. You need an account to hold stirling in and a dinar convertable account. There will always be bank charges whatever.

I'm a UK ex-banker and pretty shocked what I saw here... lax security/due diligence, inconvenience.

Never NEVER listen to or have dealings with a person who says they can get you a good exchange rate here on US$/£/€. It is illegal for individuals to trade money ok?!!!

Wait until you get here. We can sort.it for you.

By signing for me
i mean that beig as i wont be working my husband will therefore be responsible for me
and i have been told he has to write a letter to such effect that he is responsible for me and he will support me so that they know i wont be a burden on them

We wont be getting married for few months but as soon as we are married i will apply for the carte de sejour.. im glad you get a provisional one as i was thinking id have to leave or pay to stay until they issued it!

I will probably open a tunisian bank account but keep some money in thr uk with my mum so if anything did happen she could send it over, book me a flight etc
however, im a little worried about how safe my money would be in a tunisian bank account, feel it may be safer kept with me!

My fiancè  is tunisian, we are hoping to marry September but i will be going over july
any rental contracts will be signed in my name but although he can translate what the  contrat says id rather have it in englsih for me but i highly doubt anyone would do that!
Did u sign rent aggreement in tunisian?

And for now im going to book travel insurance includig medical bills as u can get this for 6 months which is good enough for now

I dont mean to be rude but if you really dont like tunisia.. why do u stay?

Thank you for all your helpful advice :) it is much appreciated and any young friends who would like to make friends please send them my way and u of course!

There are never any guarantees in life but I've had a Tunisian bank account since arrival. It's been fine. But I only convert into dinars what I need. Bit more costly but safe. Bulk of my money is the UK and staying there!

Relieved that you have a contingency plan with Mum.  People speak from personal experience. I do. A woman should always have her own money and a means to "escape" if needed.  We all need a Plan B in life. 

Country seems more stable but that will depend on how the new government continues with its reforms. The world is watching Tunisia on its road to democracy.

Rental agreement. There are translation services but it costs. You do realise that if the rental agreement's in your name YOU are liable??!!  As your fiance is working why isn't it in HIS name?  My lawyer did my agreement in French so its correct and I had him write a 2 month break clause into a 12 month agreement.

Congratulations on your marriage. I hope you will be happy.

Firstly, Tunisia is a beautiful country of dramatic and changing landscapes. Tourists rarely see the best of it.  Of course attitudes and cultures differ and adjustment is necessary, but Tunisia should take pride in its transformation into democracy. It is a BIG political success story amongst its neighbours although Morocco is accelerating in terms of infra-structure development.

However, there are sections of the community especially in Sousse, who are lazy or take no responsibility for themselves and scam tourists and non-Tunisians in all respects. They think they have a God given right to our hard earned money. I remind them there is REAL poverty in the UK and USA. No one goes hungry here!  This ruins it for most of us as they are time wasting evil people. So fait attention!! Take care!!

I'd always wanted, since being a child, to speak a foreign language and live overseas. It was going to be Spain, which I utterly love. Due to circumstances beyond my control my working life ended in the UK. It was impossible to live anywhere in Europe due to high costs of living.

I actually came to start a small business here but fell prey to a conman Tunisian. You do know that normally they are only interested in European women for money/sex/visas out of Tunisia!  Decent Tunisians leave you alone or just say good morning, how are you? etc.  This one was interested in money. I saw through him and pulled out but by then I'd severed all ties to the UK. There is no going back. So in a nutshell its cheap! Its warm!  I'm near the beach!  It's close to Europe! And I have found some nice friends of different nationalities who I like very much.

Honestly? If I had worked longer or had more money I'd not be here. And it is a sacrifice, as unlike you, I will have to remain single as I won't ever be able to find a romantic attachment here. So yeah hard, but alternatives ..there aren't any. Maybe there may be a chance to move again but it won't be for some years yet.

If you do get stuck. You are not alone. Even if a coffee, show you to some shops, or give advice, the ex-pat community looks after its own so to speak.

I won't be writing anymore I have so much to do but if you get stuck contact me on this website by inviting me as a contact request and I can give you my Tunisian number.  I'll ask my pals about younger friends for you. 

I wish you luck.

Yes i have already told my mum this and she is fine with it just in case.

I hpe the tourism stays ok. I am a little worried about living so close to the terrorism but i just hope they can keep them away :/

Ah i only wanted it in my name in case anything hapened between us the apartment would be mean and id have somewherre to live until i could get home... maybe he can sign it then

Thank you, im sure il be asking plenty of advice in the next few months :)

Terrorism.. don't listen to the media. There are more terrorists in Manchester than Sousse!   Sure Tunisia has the highest % of young males fighting with ISIS but ISIS attracts them with money so when you're poor ....

Many ex-pats were drinking coffee during the revolution. That's not to say shootings won't occur but there are MORE attacks in Europe.

Borders between Algeria/Libya are controlled. And credit to Tunisian authorities they SHOOT terrorists not like the Brits who provide a cup of tea and daytime tv funded by UK tax payers money!

Like I say .. always have a Plan B..

Good points carole! Everything you say is true. Media gives totally wrong picture about the situation in tunisia..
Please if you find younger english speaking girls let them know aboug me too! Im desperately trying to find company for myself in sousse. My fiance will be working every day and i dont want stuck bored at home. I would love to meet with you carole in coffee etc once i get there. You seem such a strong woman and great person to look up to :) i think its very important to have contacts with other expats because for sure many things will start annoy me in tunisia after staying a while and when that time comes expats will understand me better than my fiance :D

Ok. Please no matter how good/kind/right you think you man is  you are right to check everything yourself. It must be right for YOU.

Just moved into yet another apartment. Busy getting it sorted out as standards are low as you know. Also running about like a mad thing getting furniture etc! Given lack of choice it will have an eclecktic feel to it.

Exactly when do you arrive?

Best we make contact request then pass email address etc.  I shall do my best. I do advise you get a regime of activities going otherwise you will die of boredom at your age!  If you get a decent tv you can download or jusy have cheap dvds they pirate everything here!

any recommendation if i should go ahead and move to Tunisia or i better of stay in the US?

Hi girls and good eveing it is after med day in here am arabic libyan but am will  educated looking for new life style after the libyan situation .so i follow my tunisian mother and try to study again..i had tunisian guys want to learn engluish for 1 reason .
to have  on stand relation with firieghn girls i keep tilling theim that am respect women ...

So am trying to found guys speack english lives in tunisia to be room mate and have fun in our plase ..
I like when the lady talk about the pirate DVDs i injoyed theim by made my own small home sinma thats way am loking for english speakers in tunis

Easier solution.  There are PLENTY of English speaking Libyans in Sousse!  You don't need to find a woman or indeed a European for that matter!

That all depends on your life goals doesn't it?

No am not looking for women am looking for guyes to had friend ships and spending great time sports ...men who are fan to cinema ans exploring ....

You under stand me rongly ....meme ..
am not that kind of man who take advantige of girl or women ...
am so sorry for that

Put out a general message on this web site. You can do a search under Sousse then "libyan".

I found a great male friend this way who speaks good English and is Libyan.

Good luck.

Hello Team,

I've heard a lot about Tunisia, and it's actually caught my interest to have vacation there. But really don't know the process since I am from phils.

Hi! I saw you will be moving to Béja (or are already there?)... My husband's family is from there and, although I think you can be happy anywhere, is there any chance your husband would be ok with you two living somewhere else? say, Tunis?

Béja is a small Tunisian town and there are no expats (that I know of), nothing to do (especially if you are a woman) and if you don't speak either French or Arabic, I think it's going to be soooooo hard on you. If you plan on having a baby, your husband's family will probably be a huge help, but they may also meddle a lot in your relationship with your husband (try to keep private matters private as much as possible and be sure your husband agrees with this). Let us know how your move goes and what your first impressions are. I'd like to be super positive about this move but  from what I know of Béja... it's going to be quite a culture shock. I really do wish you the best of luck though and I hope you can let us know how it's going.

hello you are welcome , im interested to make new friends text to me, we can  hangout or go for a coffee :)

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : Off topic

Hi Lauren
I'd be happy if you accept to be my friend :)
Inès

Hi! I'm Portuguese and I would like to move to Tunisia specially to Hammamet. Do you know any English call centres near by?
Thank you
Silvia

I'm Italian, living in Hammamet  since December. I've found English speaking people at the coffees in front of Medina, facing the promenade.

Hello, my name is Lauren too. How do you like living in Tunisia? I am from New Jersey,  lived in NJ all my life, and now I will be following my heart and moving permanently to Tunisia next month (January). My fiance has prepared me alot on what to expect,  but I know the culture and language will be the biggest adjustments. Was it easy for you? Just asking 😉 My fiance is from Mahdia, but we may move to Hammamet or Sousse. Any suggestions? I look forward to hearing from you and what you like about living in Tunisia and what you dont like. My Facebook is L***, my # ***. I am on the app WhatsApp, Instagram: ****

Hope to hear back from you and become friends

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I have only been in N. Africa a month, but of all the cities I visited I settled in sousse. It is clean. I believe in the spirit of a place and what you put out, you get back. You attract like people. Sometimes here I feel like I must have been a salesman in a past life... today I yelled briefly at a vendor trying to hold my attention as I rushed to the pharmacy. And this is common. I find that I am stared at often, for my blond hair. Work seems slim, but everyone here has their place. I have had difficulty talking with ministries about residency. I think the second one was the right one, but I said the wrong thing. There is a lot of pointing to the next place. Sousse is much better than Tunis, though my week in Tunis landed me a few friends. I don't drink or smoke, so café culture is nice. There is a lot of leisure, have crafts and hobbies. Bring them with you.

Oh yeah, driving is insane. Haven't tried it yet.