Advice On Surviving Phnom Penh Traffic?

Do you guys have any advice on how to avoid being run over, dragged, hit or any other form of undesirable contact with the local traffic?

Namely, advice for walking on foot is needed. I highly doubt I will ever drive in Cambodia.

Driving in Cambodia can only be described as total anarchy but with some unwritten rules of the road. 
1. Drive with your head on a swivel. Don't look at scenery, girls, businesses, or anything that may distract you.
2. This is not a race. Begin by driving on the far right and resist the urge to venture to the left lanes. Even if empty. Turning left is not for the faint hearted. 
3. Be deliberate.  Don't hesitate. Don't make other drivers guess which way you want to turn. Just do it.
4. Drive defensively but with a communal attitude.  Lose the me vs.them mindset. Remember,  we are all in this together and these crazy ass drivers are your compatriots.
5. Tuk Tuk drivers are unpredictable and generally a scourge on society.  Go around, never follow behind them.
Lastly,  experience is the only way to learn how to drive here. Think of every possible scenario before you begin and fully expect it will happen.
Good luck out there.

Thanks for the advice! Now how do I not get run over while walking lol?

Walking is simple. Be deliberate.  Don't hesitate.  Walk a steady pace. They will generally flow around you like a stone in a stream.  But always keep your wits and don't run or panic.

When crossing roads, once you commit ensure that you keep walking at the same pace until you reach the other side...do NOT run, stop, speed up/slow down...the drivers will adjust their speed and direction in order to avoid hitting you, sudden change of pace/direction, stopping/running is why people get knocked over/hit.

It will take a little getting used to, but once you're used to it, it will become second nature and you won't even think about it.

Hi.

Here they are:
1) Drivers will never stop for you to cross.
2) Do your walking on sidewalk
3) Leave your country traffic law at home
4) Wear colorful clothes at night
5) Do your walking during less traffic priood if possible
6) Do not walk while intoxicated
7) Stay safe and enjoy

Need help finding places visit novnis.com

Tykoon wrote:

2) Do your walking on sidewalk

Hahaha...what sidewalks! Even where there are sidewalks, they're usually clogged with cars/motos parked and street side stalls. Most walking will be on the side of the ride ;)

Crossing is easy and you should survive each one of these crossing.
DANGER: Kids speeding on motorbikes and drunks are the only real danger, like at home.

To cross the road:
Look both side left & right.
Walk in a straight line making eye contact with the closest in coming drivers.
Important: Walk at the same pace, do not stop, do not hesitate, just carry on.

It take a while to get use to it but trust me it work.

I don't at all ask this in a snarky way- have you considered cycling? This will sound crazy, but, I feel more comfortable riding my bike than I do walking here.

I haven't felt suicidal lately but when I do I will consider cycling in Phnom Penh. It's a bit like being on the lowest rung of the food chain. Trucks eat cars, cars eat motos, all of them eat bicycles. So the answer is save a life and don't cycle in the city. All we need is another obstacle to avoid.  Haha!

I actually feel that being a pedestrian is the lowest rung on the ladder, but I wouldn't tell you to stop walking because what works for you is what works for you.

magicmaura wrote:

I don't at all ask this in a snarky way- have you considered cycling? This will sound crazy, but, I feel more comfortable riding my bike than I do walking here.

Is Cycling safe in Phnom Penh? I considered a scooter too but will leave it until I get there and see how I feel.

Nothing is really "safe" here, in my opinion. But you learn tricks and ways to get around. I ride my bike for many reasons and probably will never drive a moto. I will say that, generally, I'm a big fan of walking around, but it's really difficult to do here. Whichever mode of transport you decide upon, you will need to drive cautiously and defensively. Don't wear earphones, don't talk on your phone. Always be alert and aware. Take your time. Stay to the right. (Unless you're turning left, although it doesn't really seem matter). Be safe!

Walking is fine this time of year, but wait until April, and walking 100 metres will totally exhaust you...