Volunteering in Indonesia

Hi,

While living abroad, some expats wish to get involved in the local community life.

What organizations expats can turn to if they want to volunteer in Indonesia?

How to join a charitable institution, what are the steps?

Which causes have the greatest need for volunteers in Indonesia?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and advice,

Maximilien

The most important thing when volunteering (as a foreigner) in Indonesia is to be absolutely sure that the organization is either a licensed and registered Yayasan or NGO.  A foreigner cannot volunteer at a for profit or business entity. 

The second most important thing is to keep in mind that absolutely no form of monetary compensation, goods or services can be received by the foreign volunteer as remuneration for their volunteer services.  Meals and a room at the foundation or charity's premises however are most often overlooked and generally not considered as compensation.

The third most important thing is that the Yayasan or NGO registers you with the local police as being a volunteer for the specified or anticipated period of time you will be volunteering.

On this basis a foreign volunteer can enter and do their volunteer work on any visa, including a tourist entry VOA.

The areas where foreigners most often volunteer their time in Indonesia covers a wide spectrum of activities and includes teaching, medical services, orphanages, poverty eradication, environmental and animal preservation. 

A simple Google search will reveal many such organizations who are always looking for volunteers.

Another method that is becoming very popular is the Independant Social Act. This is particularly popular with the younger generation. Groups of friends or students or wealthy business people get together and generate/donate money, food, school equipment etc and donate it directly to the people who need it. Since Indonesia has quite a bad record for corruption in charity, the Independant Social Act groups cut out the middleman and give directly to orphanages, needy families, remote poorer communities and the working elderly. The advantage for these groups is that they are able to directly see the results of their charity and to know exactly where their donations are going.

“Since Indonesia has quite a bad record for corruption in charity…”

I beg your pardon?  Would you care to document that statement?

Licensed Yayasans and NGO's in Indonesia actually have a rather excellent track record and with full transparency regarding financials.  In Bali alone I can name a number of them which have received international recognition and honors for their dedicated work and accomplishments:

http://www.pedulisesamaphilanthropicwork.org/http://www.balieye.org/http://www.inspirasia.org/where-we-work … ty-Projecthttp://balichildrensproject.org/http://bawabali.com/

There are others of course, as well a five or six excellent International Rotary Chapters in Bali alone.  The various Bali Rotary organizations do excellent work throughout the island including the funding and building of Bali's only waste re-cycling plant in Gianyar. 

I have personally been involved on one level or another with each of these excellent organizations and can personally attest to their integrity.  Have you some first hand information regarding a corrupt charity here, and if so, please, do tell!

Please be careful and avoid making broad sweeping generalized statements which simply are not correct.  Such statements are very damaging and make the work of these fine organizations all that more difficult.   

The problem with Independent Social Act type charities here in Indonesia is that the foreigners who are involved are the least likely to really know where the need is greatest.  Moreover they are also the least likely to understand or appreciate local customs and the appropriate methods of dealing with the local cultures on this basis.  I have seen this countless times in the past.

Whilst no one would claim Indonesia doesn't still have corruption problems, the charities I deal with don't suffer from them.
Broad, unsupported statements don't do any good.

Perhap the accuser could back up her claims with records of convictions.
Then we'd know which charities to avoid.

Hi Ubudian and Fred. Sorry if my facts are incorrect. But I read through some past topics about charity and I noticed Ubudian that you mentioned about much corruption in Indonesian Charities. I will search again, but I may be wrong. But my husband is not an expat and he talked a lot about how so much money went missing from charities in Indonesia. He seemed to know about many cases where this corruption is involved so I will ask him to try to join this site to tell you about it.

Mr. Fred I find that topic on 9th Fevrier about charity. Mr. Ubudian comment is:

"Unfortunately, charity scams, particularly in the format of orphanages has been a long time problem here.

Some tips to be sure that your donated money is going to be used the way you hope it should be used…i.e., to help those in need.

-Make sure the charity is a registered and licensed Yayasan or NGO (non government organization) under regulation GR 63/2008. "

To be quiet honest, I have never experience charity corruption myself and it is only from reading some early topics and also from what my husband tells me. I cannot give some proof as you ask and I don't think my time is enough to do some research for you. If you think there is no corruption in charity it is also very good because you too have opinions. I hope not to see too much strong comment or angry voices here or it is better I do not spend any time here again.

OK, please let me clarify. 

With a licensed Yayasan or NGO, the possibility of it being a scam or corrupt operation is very, very slim, thus in my post I emphasized this as the first priority.  Anyone thinking about volunteering should ask to see the operation's Yayasan license.  If they fail to produce it, then move on to another organization. 

Bogus orphanages have been a problem in the past…but they will not be licensed, so they are very easy to avoid.  If anyone follows the guidelines I've laid out in this thread, they will not have any problems, nor will they find themselves feeding fraud or corruption.   

My advice is based on far more than opinions, rather it is based on first hand experiences acquired over 17 years of working with a number of Yayasans and NGO's on Bali.  I'm sorry but I find it difficult to apologize for all the time and effort I've put into those organizations over the years, and the knowledge and experience I have gained as a result. 

Please, have no worries about “angry voices” here, and I apologize if you think I am angry...but I assure you that I am not angry.  I'm far more concerned that this topic be conveyed with accuracy and facts.

Cheers, Roy

I've had dealings with several charities here, and none of the real ones have been anything less than honest, but there are some I dislike because they own top end mini buses and a lot of other fancy kit they don't need to run the place.
I stopped giving to one because a friend and I arranged for a treat to McD's for them, but they couldn't find space in their diary because of so many others doing similar things.
I went on to find a tiny place down a road only a small motorbike could get down, and they truly had nothing.
On my daughter's birthday, we had the party in pizza hut, but invited the kids from the orphanage instead of Michelle's friends.
Something they'd unlikely to have the chance at without someone to help out.
You should have seen the smiles.

I would strongly suggest hunting out tiny orphanages, or charities that deal with providing medical care and/or education to poor communities.

Apart from the satisfaction of seeing where your efforts have gone, you get to know the people you're helping.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : quote removed - please note that we have removed some posts here and had already contacted the concerned users

Corruption is in any line of business here, no matter if we talk about trading, production or NGO's and so on.

On Bali it might be different but overhaul it's like that.

Fred wrote:

I would strongly suggest hunting out tiny orphanages, or charities that deal with providing medical care and/or education to poor communities.

There is no best way when it comes to charity. It is a matter of personal choice how we wish to help others. But I agree with Mr. Fred's comment about hunting out small orphanages and education to poor communes. This is the way that we and our friends do charity work. And also to find poor families and old people still forced to work, it is nice to help them by giving money and food and things to help them survive. This way we can choose who we want to to help and we know that what we give goes to the people who really need it.

Expatriates can do this also, especially to donate to orphanages. Independent Social Acts do not ban expats, they welcome anyone who wants to join their groups. And if Expats want to donate their money to an NGO Charity or a large Charity Organization it is good too. But some people like to donate directly to those in need and I think it is very good. Thank God there are people who do this otherwise many of the very poor families and elderly people who live nearby us would get nothing.

To Mr. Happyhour, yes it is true about corruption in other parts of Indonesia. We can see it in the news everyday. It happens in nearly every aspect of both government and non-government. Ministers, Governors, Mayors, and all the way down to the line. Even I think I read something about Minister of Religion taking Haj money. I wish it did not happen in Charity but I think it does. So donating directly to the people in need near to where you live will avoid any possibility of corruption. Expats can do the same to directly help those who live near to you. This is what we do and we are happy doing it.

If you live in Bali, especially within a small village (Kampung) and know the families, then I partially agree that one can direct their charity directly to where one might think it can be best used…but this is not without potential pitfalls.  And this would be the same elsewhere in Indonesia as well. 

Pitfall number one is that this approach can create jealousy.  Pitfall number two is that you chose the wrong family because you aren't really aware of their financial situation, or their “real need.”  I personally never recommend that expats give on the basis of what they themselves perceive as being real need, but rather to rely on the village head, (the kepala desa) to at least identify those families where the need is real, and greatest.

Sure, I can appreciate the greater source of personal gratification when stopping by a poor family and leaving bags of rice, clothing, toys, medicines, etc.  But let's be honest…that is not charity…rather, that is the pursuit of self gratification. 

Charity is best when it is left in the hands of professionals who understand far better than you where the real and urgent needs are to be found.  That is especially true in Indonesia where foreigners are most unlikely to be qualified to determine those needs on their own.

A funny, but true story I like to tell to illustrate my point comes from a visit to us in Bali from a very long time friend. 

My wife and I were driving him around our neck of the woods on back roads so he could get a good sense of the villages and enjoy the endless rice fields.  As we made a turn, out from the sawah (rice field) on the right side, a very old man was emerging from his field.  He was ancient, gaunt, dressed in rags and a tattered straw hat.  My friend asked us to stop (we thought to take a photo), but that wasn't his reason.  He produced a 100k note from his pocket and handed it to the man who reluctantly took it, all the while with a look of great perplexion on his face.

Back in the car our friend went on and on about that “poor old man” who in his opinion probably hadn't seen a 100k rupiah note in some time.  I finally decided to set things straight, even though I knew it would embarrass our friend. 

“That old man you gave money to is Pak Agung” I explained.  “That is just one of his several rice fields, now amounting to over 5 hectars.  He used to own 8 hectars, but he just sold three of them to the Alila Hotel for a million US…in cash.”

I am sure Mr. Ubudian, that you know best especially in Bali.

But please let others do charity in their own way. There is no right or wrong way. Please allow us to make our own judgement on who needs and how to give charity without your wise guidance. This only shows that there are so many ways to do charity. Now we know that some people prefer NGO Charities which probably work on a bigger scale with more funds and some prefer to help those around them who are obviously needy. Both ways are equally honorable and each of us can choose they way that we feel more comfortable with.

“There is no right or wrong way.”

Perhaps not, but there are more effective and thereby, better ways.  I agree though, the choice is yours.

As for my “wise guidance” why else should I be here on this forum?  Most folks are very appreciative of it.   ;)

Cheers, Roy

I give up Mr. Ubudian :dumbom:

As the old saying goes my lady, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't force it to drink."    :)

Cheers, lagi!   And, please feel free to call me Roy.

Hi!

How about some orphanage in jakarta which is run or manage by Nuns or in parishes.

Thank you.

Grace

Indonesia is full of charities with piles of cash, and loads of employees.
I'm often collared by one large group or another, all wanting me to sign a direct debit, and all with fancy advertising.
I refuse the lot.

If you really want to help people, don't give cash to groups who pay directors a fat sack of cash, get of your arse and find a tiny charity where you can do direct good by giving essential supplies to people with too little  food.

As for demi political groups claiming to be charities, I have zero time for them.

Here's another practical idea.
Many kids in Indonesia live in terrible conditions with no hope of education, so they'll grow up to live in those same conditions, with no hope of escape.
Find families in this situation, and pay for the kid's schooling.
Many expats would hardly even notice the cost, but it would change lives.

Fred wrote:

Indonesia is full of charities with piles of cash, and loads of employees.
I'm often collared by one large group or another, all wanting me to sign a direct debit, and all with fancy advertising.
I refuse the lot.

If you really want to help people, don't give cash to groups who pay directors a fat sack of cash, get of your arse and find a tiny charity where you can do direct good by giving essential supplies to people with too little  food.

As for demi political groups claiming to be charities, I have zero time for them.

Here's another practical idea.
Many kids in Indonesia live in terrible conditions with no hope of education, so they'll grow up to live in those same conditions, with no hope of escape.
Find families in this situation, and pay for the kid's schooling.
Many expats would hardly even notice the cost, but it would change lives.

Well said Mr. Fred...!!!

I think that in South East Asia, one must understand the local lingo and blend in with the locals, before having any perceived ideas about your charity involvement.

It differs from country to country, the political outlook, the local government and the NGOs.

Make sure you know your stuff, before joining the cause as many out there wants to pitch in but not sure what they aim to do.

I have been involved with the blind charities and don't see much problems here.  Thank you for reading.

"I have been involved with the blind charities and don't see much problems here" - pun unintended

if you stay in Jakarta please join Clean Up Jakarta Day on October 18 in Car Free Day with Indonesia Expat, Waste4change, Bersih Nyok etc

you can search voluntary jobs in @idvolunteering on twitter

“Indonesia is full of charities with piles of cash, and loads of employees.”

OK Fred, can you name some?  I sure can't.  Or, how about you just name one?  Can you name just one? 

“If you really want to help people, don't give cash to groups who pay directors a fat sack of cash…”

Any licensed Yayasan or NGO in Indonesia must produce an annual financial report.  You can see the salaries to the directors/managers for yourself and judge for yourself.

“As for demi political groups claiming to be charities, I have zero time for them.”

Who are they Fred?  Can you name just one “demi political group” claiming to be a charity? 

“Here's another practical idea.  Many kids in Indonesia live in terrible conditions with no hope of education, so they'll grow up to live in those same conditions, with no hope of escape.  Find families in this situation, and pay for the kid's schooling. Many expats would hardly even notice the cost, but it would change lives.”

Fred, have you considered for one second that the majority of Yayasans and NGO's in Indonesia are based on education as their main goal?

Bur hey, if you if have some particular skill and ability which enables you to best define those families in most need for educational assistance by way of charity…I am all ears to listen and learn.

Now, one other point which I have not yet mentioned in the course of this discussion.

This goes back to post #3 by SaintJean where she brings up, “the Independant Social Act” (something which thankfully is not an entity here in Indonesia).

It is precisely that sort of thinking which allowed (in the past) the most corrupt and nefarious operations (pre regulatory requirements) to operate within Indonesia in the past.

At about the same time I first arrived in Bali…some 17 years ago, Bali was plagued by a number of seemingly well intentioned, but horrifically evil orphanages which in fact operated as pedophile establishments.  I know this well, and first hand, as I participated in putting several of these monsters behind bars, and eventually deported.  Moreover, I still work, to this day, with then head of Intel responsible for cases of child abuse.   

NO, NO, NO!

When it comes to charity directed to children, it is ESSENTIAL that those who are involved are regulated and monitored. 

Never forget my friend, “The road to hell is paved with good intentions.” 

Anyone, be they local or foreign, operating any sort of charity, Yayasan or NGO these days in Indonesia without proper license is subject to criminal prosecution.  Those regulations are of course not meant to restrict, or in anyway limit the bona fide intentions of individuals, or groups, but rather to protect those who are the intended beneficiaries.

OK Fred, can you name some?  I sure can't.  Or, how about you just name one?  Can you name just one?

Sure can, as can you, and they're all western charities that send people to supermarkets to beg.
Do you het them in Bali as well, or are you safe from their prstering there?

Who are they Fred?  Can you name just one “demi political group” claiming to be a charity?

No, I can't. 
The post was removed from this thread, and I've fogotten the name.
You'll see one of my posts was moderated to remove a quote from them.

"Sure can, as can you, and they're all western charities that send people to supermarkets to beg."

For sure Fred, that is something I've never run into here. 

Send me a PM and share what you know...if you are comfortable doing that. 

Cheers mate!