Housing (long Term Rent)

Hi

i got some questions i hope some one can answer.

What is the warmest place in portugal (kind like spain weather) ?
Witch region of portugal can get us as far as possible in communicating in english  ?
Are there sites to find cheap rental houses for long term. ?

Let me explain more about our situation. We are non depended on Portugal for income .. Why i am 100 % disabled for work (i can walk and so on but have a heart / vascular  disease) and get my money from the Netherlands as long as i live. Downside to this , my income can not move the world ...  Now my question got to do with my income , i need a house around 400 euro's a month , 3 bedroom , nothing fancy but pref. a house not an apartment. My wife and my to kids are moving with me off course , my kids are 15 and 11.
We all speak a a little bit Spanish , Dutch, German and English , me and my kids speak also a little France.

We are on a tight budget , but should be doable , we moved to Spain with a same tight budget.

If anyone can help me get going , i would be really thankful

kind regards leo

Hi lbvbv,

Welcome on board :)

Regarding accommodation I will invite you to please drop an advert in the Housing in Portugal section as it might help :)

Best of luck with everything !

Thank you

Maximilien

thank you for replying ,,, i will drop an advert in the section mentions ,

kind regards leo

Hi .
The simplest advice is - If you have a nice house,  3 bed  ,in Spain , for 400e pm , utilities included , you should strongly consider staying in it . A  comfortable ( water , electricity , air con , internet  T.V, refuse, included) furnished 3 bed in a non isolated location , in Portugal, will be much more than your budget . Utilities alone for a 3 bed  can be over 400e pm on some months . Internet , which with 2 teens will be essential , can be 90e p m . Electricity WILL  be over 100e pm . Water  will be 40/50e pm  .
Sat  TV. ?   Pool / garden ?   You will need to be reasonably close to a school .
A lovely place to live .Good luck with the search .

hi , thank you all for your reply , i forgot wo write something i wrote : "" i need a house around 400 euro's a month , 3 bedroom , nothing fancy but pref. a house not an apartment."" but this price is ment only bear rent , no ultility included ... We understand utility's add up to the price .. sorry for this uncomplete info.

hi, hope you are doing well.
i would suggest the Algarve, try Olhão , or Vila Real de Santo Antonio (good schools, very nice atmosphere, lovely city on the border to Spain) for instance. Around the small cities , there are nice villages, with bus service to connect you to the local school, and it is doable, since you're not looking for anything fancy.
there will be english communities nearby and the weather is fine.
i wish you the best. do get in touch if any more doubts arise.Rgds

Unless you are lucky, to find a rent so cheap will be almost impossible, morespecially in the sunny places, North of portugal, even center is colder, nothing to compare with Spain.
If your health is not at best, stay away from this country, not having decent medical facilities, private clinics too expensive and not necessarily as good as the bill....
The tax heaven is only in brackets, voted to promote housing sales and attract middle class, it could be cancelled by the next government. The housing is also too expensive for what the country can offer.
If you do not speak portugeese, life will be difficult.
Assuming you whant to relocate, Panama is certainly better, Asia. Europe is expensive, highly regulated, only good for the rich and the dummy.
Good luck in your project.

Firstly there is nothing wrong with the health care in the Algarve .The majority of the people speak English and if not will call  on someone to help . I have done all the  tax,  IMI etc . in the Camera and all staff are very helpful . It can get cool over the Winter at night -but that's what stoves and radiators are for - and red wine . Cost of living is very cheap . Utilities are a little high  but nothing compared to other European countries .
If you are in poor health and retired -do you want to live in a "nothing fancy" place . Nothing fancy means ,no air-con , no heating, damp. An old fashioned farmhouse with a dirt road and a steep climb to it .  That's what your budget will get . Up your budget and get a nice place in a lovely location .

Hello there,
I see nobody replied to all of your questions, and so I hope my answer will be more useful to you than the others replies you have received.
1.)The warmest places in Portugal are the Algarve and the Alentejo region (southern and eastern parts of Portugal).
2.)The area best for relying on English is definitely Algarve, as it is full of Brit expats.
3.) Sites to find cheap rental for long term: try the site which combines all the searches from a number of real-estate agencies, and then just pick your region, adjust the pricing information and search.
http://casa.sapo.pt/
Then if you find something you like, you will see the name of the agency involved in the real-estate at the bottom of the casa sapo page, so you can contact them.

For 400 euros it will be a bit tough to find a T3, but it is doable in the suburban areas and not very friendly like neighbourhoods. House is out of the question for the price, only an apartment can be managed in Algarve. I think the best option for you is to come and see first how you like the region. Algarve is next to the sea, it is full of tourists and expats. It is possible to find cheaper apartments there, because a lot of buildings were built very fast due to the arrival of many expats, so the buildings are very badly done and with low quality, but, in return, the pricing of such apartments is good. Now, the other region-Alentejo is soo hot, that people have moved out of it and it is not very inhabited. In Alentejo there might be a possibility of finding an old T3 house for your budget, but you won't have anything nearby, esp.not schools. That region is very dry and hot, with maximum temperatures in Portugal during the summer. It is also close to the border of Spain. A notable city of this region is Evora, it has universities, so it would be good for kids (but no T3 for 400 euros can be found). But, as far as English is considered, you won't find many locals speaking it in rural areas of Alentejo. Somehow, your budget and the likeliness of people speaking English are confronted when combined together. More English speaking residents means that area is more touristic, and therefore, the pricing is higher than the average.
But, if I may ask, why would you like to move the kids from Spain, if they already speak some Spanish? Have in mind that the international schools are cheaper in Spain (with English language) than they are in Portugal.
Good luck!

The fact tat the place is full of Brits is not an advantage. It was the same in the South-Ouest of France.
-They are responsable for the price rise in housing sale or rent.
-They live in a a "brit colony" with almost no exchange with others.
-After about ten years, they go home.
Renting in Portugal is difficult, I tried several time, even with a possible promess of buying if I woud find the place and environment favourable....I failed and finally abandoned my project to relocate in Portugal. Remember that the economic situation may false the cards later on.

tanx very much for all your comments .. we are currently searching on OLX.PT and also discovered renting is not ideal .. We are now moving on buying a cheap fix her up ruin with ground and looking in to that possibility

@ all4myfamily       

hi thank you for answering , my kids do not go to international schools course they don't want too. They like to mix with the locals.. why i do not know but they are strong about that.

We do not live that very long in Spain and we really do not like it here .. We lived in Germany before and sometimes regret even moving to Spain.

The area is warm , but like a dessert. We do not wanne live in Valencia or regions like that .. We are people for the mountains , with a nice sunny summer. 

The kids really do not like it here and want some green mountains again .. but with the nice hot wetter of the summer.

We try to realize this , and it is not mediatory to be in english speaking area but it would be nice ..

We are gone look into trying to buy a cheap house or fix her up house in aljento ..

thanks again ,