Can I trust this company? EFL schools

Recently I have been approached by several companies regarding EFL work in Ho Chi Minh City, and there are two I can't seem to find mentioned on any forums and I was wondering about their credibility.
GESthailand - they seemed to be an agency in Thailand branching out into Vietnam but again I've not heard any reviews or forum posts with for or against.
Major Education - These guys seem relatively legit, but again have no real internet presence.
Has anyone worked or know anyone that have worked for these before? Any plus or minus points etc?
Any help would be more than appreciated, don't want to move across the world for a scam company!

Thank you :)

good afternoon   :)
My name is Hà live at HCMC, nice to meet you.
It's true ! so you need to be careful

My advice is to get a signed contract with a recognized language school before you come to Vietnam like ILA, VUS or Apollo and have them sponsor your work permit and resident card so you know what you have before coming here. If your new to VN Saigon AKA Ho Chi Minh would be the easiest place to get acclimated. With a degree and teaching certificate this should not be a problem.

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : off topic + do not post external link
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
asherstash1 wrote:

Recently I have been approached by several companies regarding EFL work in Ho Chi Minh City, and there are two I can't seem to find mentioned on any forums and I was wondering about their credibility.
GESthailand - they seemed to be an agency in Thailand branching out into Vietnam but again I've not heard any reviews or forum posts with for or against.
Major Education - These guys seem relatively legit, but again have no real internet presence.
Has anyone worked or know anyone that have worked for these before? Any plus or minus points etc?
Any help would be more than appreciated, don't want to move across the world for a scam company!

Thank you :)

AMA are based in Thailand as well.  Have you looked at the ESLteachersboard website? Craigslist for the persistent advertisers, ( usually crap to work for ). Apollo, AMA , ILA are always constantly advertising.

Hi
My boyfriend used to work for Major for 2 years. He liked working for them but some of their teachers are paid by the hour and some on a contract. Being paid by the hour makes a lot more money!

RachaelPlumridge wrote:

Hi
My boyfriend used to work for Major for 2 years. He liked working for them but some of their teachers are paid by the hour and some on a contract. Being paid by the hour makes a lot more money!

I've only ever heard of " teachers " being paid by the hour, ( that way they can also deduct the hours you have off for VN public holidays , etc ), although they quote monthly rates in their adverts, they usually still say how many hours they have to work, ( plus some even have a different " overtime '' rate ).

Well I know that this is true because he spoke with the other teachers at the company that they were not paid by the hour. He is not on this forum but if you post your email address he can speak with you

RachaelPlumridge wrote:

Well I know that this is true because he spoke with the other teachers at the company that they were not paid by the hour. He is not on this forum but if you post your email address he can speak with you

I don't doubt it, so many different schools have their own sets of " rules ", i.e, I worked as a relief " teacher " for 6 weeks at a highly respectable school here, the owner was worried about me not having a Work Permit for HER school,  so I only received 12 -14 hours a week, instead of the agreed 30 hours, ( found out later she, and another VN teacher were doing the other hours ), but after the 6 weeks she still deducted the 10% tax!!!!

WARNING* Craigslist Sept 2015
EIV WILL NOT PAY YOU (HCMC)

compensation: 000
employment type: employee's choice

EIV does not pay their teachers. I read several reviews online that stated the same thing and choose to disregard their advice thinking it was just past disgruntled employees - turns out they were right. Worked for them for over a month and only received $30 after arguing with them for over an hour.

EIV is completely disorganized, disrespectful, and untrustworthy. I would highly recommend looking for employment elsewhere, there are several very respectable schools in Vietnam that are always looking for teachers.