Info on everyday life in Maldives

Hi I'm Maria, I will be working soon in Maldives. I got hired as restaurant receptionist. How much is the cost of living over there? What about the crime rate? By the way, I'm from the Philippines. Hope to get a response from you. Thanks!

Maria

Hi Maria,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I created a new topic as from your post on the Maldives forum. For the cost of living, i invite you to have a look at this thread  : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=439012

HI Maria;

Welcome to EB- Maldives!

Cost of living here is expensive compared to Manla but not as expensive as Dubai. But usually in the contract (if reviewed by the  POEA) employer will give you furnished accommodation and meal allowance so don't worry about your household expenditures. If you know how to cook, its better to cook your own food rather than eating in a resto, You need more or less 135MVR or 9 USD for a complete meal depending on type of restaurant while you will spend only around  300MVR or 20USD per week if you buy your food in the market and cook your own.. Other expense like internet and mobile will be depending on your usage. You can choose a package that will fit in your budget. Personal products like soap shampoo etc is also available in almost all of the shop here. I would say you need at-least 300USD / mo  for food and personal things to live a decent life not including the rent and utilities

YOur own  cost of living will be depending on your lifestyle. of course the more you spend, the lesser you save. To work abroad and away from your family, you must be prudent and think wisely before spending.  I hope this will help you.

Should you have any more questions, fee free to send me a message.

Goodluck and be happy =)

Hi Maria Welcome

@wowpinoy

Thank you for your reply. Thanks for the info. Its a big help. Yes I know how to cook, and I wud enjoy to just go out in the market in look for something to cook.. My employer will shoulder my accommodation and food allowances over there, its in the contract. As well as the transportation and medical insurances. I'm just waiting for my working visa, how long will it take? Its already 7days since it processed.

Thanks! God bless

mariacoys wrote:

@wowpinoy

Thank you for your reply. Thanks for the info. Its a big help. Yes I know how to cook, and I wud enjoy to just go out in the market in look for something to cook.. My employer will shoulder my accommodation and food allowances over there, its in the contract. As well as the transportation and medical insurances. I'm just waiting for my working visa, how long will it take? Its already 7days since it processed.

Thanks! God bless

Hi Maria,

Greetings from Indonesia, I'm planning to work in Helengeli Island next month.

Krysna

Hi thank you! Good luck for your career journey in Maldives. Good luck to us 😊

Thank you for this information. What is average monthly salary for graduate position or manager level position?
Thank you.
Olawale

Hi MAriacoys;

Work visa usually take 7- 15 working days, depending on number of application immigration is processing.

If you want to know more about the the VIsa procedure, you can check old post or create e new topic

Cheers =)

Hello Maria!
So, did u come at the end to the Maldives?
How did u find it? do u like?

Hi everyone! I'm from Philippines. I would like to ask the current working condition in male, Maldives? Is it safe to work there? Especially for female doctors doing home visits? Are Maldivians friendly to expats? How is it like working with Maldivian employer or Maldivian patients?.... Hope to hear from anyone soon...Thank you!