Kodi/XBMC users

Any one who uses Kodi / XBMC for there TV and Films, be aware that the latest update for the Genesis add-on to Version 5 will remove your ability to download anything.
If you really want to be able to carry on downloading from Genesis you will have to retain or reinstall Version 4.8.5 which you can do from within this article:-

http://koditips.com/want-genesis-downlo … sis-4-8-5/

it will give you the zip file you need to reinstall.
You will need to uninstall version 5 and make sure your settings are changed so you do not get the automatic update.
I can't get any other video add-ons to allow me to download films or TV series, so I have had to revert to the previous version. I download for myself and then put files in Dropbox so that my son can view in Germany where he has already been threatened with legal action for watching in that country via various sources.

Ray

Navi-x still allows downloading

Your  quick toon was just about to say that lol, and if he is having issues in Germany then run it behind a Vpn

Toon wrote:

Navi-x still allows downloading

Have tried it but it did not work for me.
The Genesis download is good on Films but I do find that downloading TV series episodes is painfully slow, as low as 12 Kb/s.
So anything else I could use would be good.

Ray

in preparation for our our recent house move i downloaded 10.... and 8 of them took - only 2 failed.

I have found that films download reasonably well, about 30 mins per film with Genesis but when I try and download episodes from TV series it is virtually impossible, I left a queue of 3 episodes of Broadchurch to download last night and all it has done is 17% of the first episode by this morning! Perhaps I am just unlucky with the sources that I have downloaded from.  I did have one afternoon last week when 3 episodes downloaded in about an hour.

I did get a film to download using Navi-X last night in about 30 minutes but could not find a stream for past TV series.

If anybody has any suggestions please let me have them. I have not been able to get any other add on to download with no options to amend settings.

Ray

A lot of people have had the same problems since Genesis updated to version 5.The only way is to uninstall and use an earlier version.Their is a link on facebook(wookie)and probably a few more places.

maltaforme wrote:

A lot of people have had the same problems since Genesis updated to version 5.The only way is to uninstall and use an earlier version.Their is a link on facebook(wookie)and probably a few more places.

Not being funny but that is exactly what I started this post about and a link is in my first post at the top of the page!
(It describes the problem and will allow you to download the zip file you need to reinstall the old version.)

Ray

Download of 1 episode of a TV series has just finished having started at 11.00 pm yesterday! 13.5 hours for a file size of 0.24 GB.
There must be a better way!

Ray

Sorry my mistake.I dont know if you use icefilms,but you can use that as a substitute i think,seems what a lot are now using.This is the source.http://ipv6.icefilms.info

maltaforme wrote:

Sorry my mistake.I dont know if you use icefilms,but you can use that as a substitute i think,seems what a lot are now using.This is the source.http://ipv6.icefilms.info

I have Icefilms addon and it works ok, but I can't change the settings to allow downloading. Otherwise it's fine.

Ray

If anyone is into 'Icefilms', this has now been updated to 1.10.0 and is once again usable on Kodi after being blocked for a while.
If you click to select a source it will show an advert box but you can close this and carry on.
Whilst you can theoretically download, I have not been able to access download settings to set up a folder to download to so it is not working for me.
Perhaps someone on the blog knows how to find download settings in 'Icefilms' as they do not appear in 'Add on settings'.

Ray

Slightly off topic, but can anyone recommend a reliable IPTV on Kodi?

paulolly wrote:

i use ntv.mx

Thanks Rob

robpw2 wrote:
paulolly wrote:

i use ntv.mx

I use NTV as well but whilst I can access it through Kodi or just on my laptop I do have a dedicated set top box (Mag 250) as well as this is easier to use and has it's own remote. (My wife can use it!)

Kodi is great for films and TV series catch up.

Ray

This is supposed to be good,though not tried it yet.http://tutorial-iptv-xbmc.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/dextertv-iptv-add-on-for-kodi-xbmc.html?m=1

try movie 25 addon

Toon wrote:

try movie 25 addon

Added Movie 25 but nothing seemed to work! Kept getting errors and no working sources.

Ray

Why not Popcorn? https://popcorntime.io/

I already have about 10  Film & TV addons loaded so I don't actually need Movie 25, I was just trying it out.
I tend to use the ones I can download from such as 'Genesis' and 'Icefilms'.

Ray

Showbox? You can download from that

What is the difference between the UK Premium NTV offerings, one is E15 and the other E30 - they have the same amount of channels?

I can see I have a lot of learning to do to keep the wife happy when we get there...

kiwi dan wrote:

What is the difference between the UK Premium NTV offerings, one is E15 and the other E30 - they have the same amount of channels?

I can see I have a lot of learning to do to keep the wife happy when we get there...

The cheaper version is if you access NTV through a computer or Kodi, the dearer option is using a set top box such as Mag 250 or Mag 254 which allows you to use the box and a computer.
One of the big advantages of using a STB is that it is always sitting there just like a Sky box or Go box and has a remote.

Ray

Got you - though if you used a Kodi box wouldn't that do the same as the Mag, and still give you a remote control etc to play with - but for E15 a month less?

May I ask - how do you find it, is the quality HD and crystal clear or do you feel let down sometimes? Kind of used to Sky HD but figure we should ditch it and run one of these so we get used to it...

Thanks for the input, very kind. I like your choice of location too - we're planning on Gharb early 2017.

kiwi dan wrote:

Got you - though if you used a Kodi box wouldn't that do the same as the Mag, and still give you a remote control etc to play with - but for E15 a month less?

May I ask - how do you find it, is the quality HD and crystal clear or do you feel let down sometimes? Kind of used to Sky HD but figure we should ditch it and run one of these so we get used to it...

Thanks for the input, very kind. I like your choice of location too - we're planning on Gharb early 2017.

There isn't a Kodi box as such, it is software that you can install on a computer, tablet or on a STB.
(Usually Android) The Mag box has a Linux OS.
It is possible to set up a remote to work with Kodi but I just find that NTV on a box with remote is a lot less hassle and my wife can use it! In Gozo a Mag box costs about 110 euros and you can either install NTV or the shop will have there own package at around 20 euros a month.

As far as Gharb is concerned it is very nice but make sure you do not finish up living close to any sort of holiday let as they can sometimes get very noisy. ( Some of the tourists come for the peace and quiet others make as much noise as possible!) also check for dogs!

Ray

F0xgl0ve wrote:

...I just find that NTV on a box with remote is a lot less hassle and my wife can use it! In Gozo a Mag box costs about 110 euros and you can either install NTV or the shop will have there own package at around 20 euros a month.

As far as Gharb is concerned it is very nice but make sure you do not finish up living close to any sort of holiday let as they can sometimes get very noisy. ( Some of the tourists come for the peace and quiet others make as much noise as possible!) also check for dogs!
Ray

Yeah, that makes sense - wife friendly is a must, and even I can't be bothered trying to get stuff to work right anymore! The Mag box looks good, will give one a try. Like the look of the catch-up facility too. Been reading the other thred with you and Toon discussing so have more info now, forgot I had read that before.

How do you know if you are next to a holiday let? Place we use in Sannat just looks like another residence? The dogs I get - but then again ours have their moments. I always loved the chickens vs sheep vs dog arguements we used to hear in Sannat, makes us laugh still...

the other advantage of the mag250 is the built in epg tv guide no issues with a third party addon tv guide (as good as ivue tv guide is) it still has times where it can be an issue - but it is free and the guys who design admin and support it are superb...

kiwi dan wrote:
F0xgl0ve wrote:

...I just find that NTV on a box with remote is a lot less hassle and my wife can use it! In Gozo a Mag box costs about 110 euros and you can either install NTV or the shop will have there own package at around 20 euros a month.

Ray

Yeah, that makes sense - wife friendly is a must, and even I can't be bothered trying to get stuff to work right anymore! The Mag box looks good, will give one a try. Like the look of the catch-up facility too. Been reading the other thred with you and Toon discussing so have more info now, forgot I had read that before.

How do you know if you are next to a holiday let? Place we use in Sannat just looks like another residence? The dogs I get - but then again ours have their moments. I always loved the chickens vs sheep vs dog arguements we used to hear in Sannat, makes us laugh still...

Slightly off topic but:-

Half the time you don't now they are holiday lets till it's too late.
Google for holiday villas and apartments in the road you are thinking of moving to, it's usually pretty good.
We have sheep in the house one side and they are great (No parties or loud music, not much smell either ) holiday lets other side and behind ( Boo). Sheep and chickens on farm opposite great (As long as you like getting up early. ( Cockerel! )

Ray

For me, XBMC/KODI is only for streaming.
If someone prefers to download then torrent should be used

RASTAVIPER wrote:

Why?.

Is it quicker or better or just your preference?

In some countries you may well be threatened with prosecution when downloading with torrents even using VPN as your are given away by P2P system

Ray

downloading within xbmc on those addons that allowed it was superb and very fast - not used p2p like utorrents etc  for ages now

Toon wrote:

downloading within xbmc on those addons that allowed it was superb and very fast - not used p2p like utorrents etc  for ages now

I have downloaded a lot from Kodi in the last couple of weeks and the main thing I have found is that Films download much quicker than TV episodes, which seems strange.
Also there is a terrific variation in download speed dependent on the source used. I have found Vidic pretty quick but some have been as slow as 10KB/s.

Ray

F0xgl0ve wrote:
RASTAVIPER wrote:

Why?.

Is it quicker or better or just your preference?

In some countries you may well be threatened with prosecution when downloading with torrents even using VPN as your are given away by P2P system

Ray

The answer is yes to both questions.
From the moment that a torrent gets stable after the first few seconds, speed remains always constantly high, without fluctuations.

Regarding the legal issues, Malta is not Germany or Uk yet.

ah you can defo download using the origin addon within http://teamexpat.ninja/repo/

a handy hint to help avoid buffering for kodi users

http://www.tekto-kodi.com/kodi-how-to-t … -settings/ i ve tried it over the last week or so and it works well...

Toon wrote:

a handy hint to help avoid buffering for kodi users

http://www.tekto-kodi.com/kodi-how-to-t … -settings/ i ve tried it over the last week or so and it works well...

I mostly download and watch later so am not as concious of the buffering as I would be if watching a 'live' stream.
Do you know if the advanced settings changes shown would improve download times as well?

Ray

not sure Ray - i dont download at all now..

Toon wrote:

not sure Ray - i dont download at all now..

I'll try adjusting the settings and see!
Cheers.

Ray.

always worth a punt