Volunteering in Barbados

Hi,

While living abroad, some expats wish to get involved in the local community life.

What organizations expats can turn to if they want to volunteer in Barbados?

How to join a charitable institution, what are the steps?

Which causes have the greatest need for volunteers in Barbados?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and advice,

Maximilien

While living abroad, some expats wish to get involved in the local community life.

What organizations expats can turn to if they want to volunteer in Barbados?

I don't know of all the organizations in Barbados, but there seems to be quite a few. If someone is interested, checking on line is easy and efficient.

How to join a charitable institution, what are the steps?

I have always been conscious of the environment, so I looked up on line organizations, involved in environmental issues in Barbados, and I found the Future Centre Trust and contacted them by email.  I volunteer for that organization.

Which causes have the greatest need for volunteers in Barbados?

There are needs no matter where anyone goes in the world, but looking to be a volunteer is a good position to be in and easy to find something that interests a person.

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and advice,

There is a big demand for volunteers who are willing to commit to a day or certain hours. I personally help at The Hope Sanctuary, they have not enough hands to help and the ones who offer to help locally, do not really commit themselves. They might come a few times and that causes more problems since the few people there are short on hands to begin with and then they waste the little time they have on people who just come a few times. So my thing is that anybody willing to volunteer, don't just go a few times but commit yourself.

And it is very easy for organizations who look after humans to find volunteers but in this country animals have no value and people here don't care about the suffering of them. It needs Expats who have a different attitude to help with animals in Barbados.