Need Urgent Guidance Information on Vietnam Criminal Record

Hi Friends

If One has stayed for more than 6 months in Vietnam he has to get Vietnam Criminal Record from HCMC Deparemtent of Justice in HCMC.  Is it true.   And, if yes,  what is the address. Someone said it is on Pasteur Street.  One of my friends employers' says that he has to get it quickly and agents are confusing him. Please share your inputs and guidance for urgent help so that he can go and apply for it today.   Regards

Never heard about before... may you share your new info here :)
Kind regards

Hi,
I don't think it is true. I have lived for more then 6 month and while renewing VISA as well there is no such issue.

Been in Vietnam more than a year. Never been asked for Criminal record. But the Justice department is on Pasteur Street. Heading north on Pasteur it's on your left just before Dien Bien Phu street.

The Employer is asking for VIetnam Criminal Record for applying for Work Permit as he has been here for around 1 year.  The Criminal Record from Justice Department is it needed for Work Permit

The police station told to write him a letter that he lives there and then they stamped it after seeing the registration done by landlord.  Now he has to carry this police certification to Justice Department to get a Criminal REcord Certificate so that he can apply for Work Permit as he has been living in Vietnam for over six months.  Veterans please  share information if Criminal Record is needed from Justice Department for Work Permit

Yes you will need a criminal record check if you are applying for a work permit.

Thanks everyone for guidance. Any other guidance regarding getting Vietnam Criminal Record please share, like how much time it takes, I think it has to be applied at 144 Pasteur Street.  The confusion has arisen because many old timers have said that there is no need of Vietnam Criminal Record for work permit even if a person has been living here for more than six months

If you have been residing here for over 6 months you will need a local police check, you will also need a police check from your home country previous to the 6 months since residing here. You have always needed a police check for a work permit, don't get mislead by old timers who have lived here a long time but have never been through the process.

You are not required.

tam.legal wrote:

You are not required.

Can you please show us evidence of it not being needed, as nearly all the government websites I have looked at said it must be done.

Hi

I got one last year for my time up to then in VN and it did take a stamped letter from the ward police. The usual fee to facilitate it via my landlord - that is when a good VN landlord is like gold as he would do that stuff.

Then a visit to the Justice office. From memory, the form actually said a copy of the resident's book, but that wasn't
enough.

Remember to wear long pants or they won't let you in.

But be aware that as per usual it is about 3 weeks between submitting the form and going back for the document.

I got caught out on this as I was only informed late that I needed to get the document for an Australian program. Basically they wanted it if someone has been living in another country for more than a year, but I don't really know about the VN situation as I work here without a work permit (legally because it is a bilateral government thing).

They can send it for a fee, but be wary. The first time I went the bloke said 'no' despite entreaties. I went back with my VN friend the next day to do a power of attorney to pick it up (that is also possible) and the very same bloke said 'yes'! So it was posted.

Applying for Criminal Record in Vietnam is tricky, especially when you already left Vietnam.  Yes, it will be Department of Justice but issue is that they will ask for local police's records...then you need to visit the local police and they dont speak English. Normally, in dealing with foreigners, local police will not assist because they are afraid you might be something...Again, suggest you seek help from lawyers in Vietnam instead of wasting time yourself.  Cheers, Jenny

My friend from Australia, is a teacher teaching in Vietnam for a short period of time.  She had to use lawyers for criminal record service in Vietnam.  She did not need to fly over...save time, and money.

You should get a residence certificate from your local police station where you registered and lived to apply for a "Justice Record" in the  Department of Justice Office, 141-143 Pasteur Street, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City.

If the Expat has been residing in VN for longer than 6 months, they don't need a Criminal record check from their home country.
It's usually 30 days for a VN criminal Check, in which time you are NOT allowed to work. ( but this probably varies with  who your employer knows/pays, etc ).

This is about to be a new law, August 7, 2015, but still in draft form.
" Criminal records issued either in Vietnam or in a foreign country will suffice (instead of requiring both Vietnamese and foreign records as under current law)."
As usual not enough info, i.e, how old can the Foreign Criminal check be, etc. How long living in VN, etc,??? Maybe MORE info will be forthcoming when it IS law.