Legalisation of UK Degree Certificate

Hi Guys,

I have accepted a job over in Qatar and should be making the move in 5 weeks or so!

I have been told I need to get my Degree Certificate legalised so I have had a read in to the process and generally understand it to be as follows;

1 - Get it authorised by a Notary Public
2 - Have it legalised (Apostille) by the FCO
3 - Have it legalised by the Qatar Embassy in London

My question is can a copy be used and will this be accepted by Qatar? I don't fancy sending my original degree certificate across the length and breadth of the country or defacing it!

Thanks!

Hi olispence. The notary should be able to notarize a copy of your degree certificate. Our notary (in Wigan) told us to use a copy rather than the original, but there may be an extra charge if the copy needs verifying. Same applies if your original needs verifying as genuine.  If you are in Manchester there are several good notaries, and you don't need to use a notary or agency to send off to the FCO or Qatari Embassy. It is pretty straightforward...and cheaper! :)

Dude seems like you will be joining a good employer from HR perspective.

My employer, the numpty HR didn't mention anything at all, so I had to organise the raping of my certificate from here in Doha.

Anyhu, I had the precise question you are asking.

Copy is sufficient. Simple.

All the best.

There is a lot of misinformation about legalisation of documents for Qatar. The first is that the document needs to be notarised. This is only partially correct. Whilst a notary can indeed authenticate a document, this is not technically needed. It is much easier and cheaper to have this done by a UK solicitor as long as they are registered with the Foreign & Commonwealth Office.

You would usually have the legalisation performed on a certified copy of the original, so there is no need to lose your valuable original document.

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct