Driving in the Philippines

haha so true

just luv the way police ignore motor cycles & tricycles at night  not having lights displayed at all & mainly on the rear , police overtake them and take no notice  ,accidents going somewhere to happen huh..

im sure the Filipino drivers could not drive, without a horn, and their not blowing it at sexy females  lol

I find it is a bit wild and free for all you must have your wits about you while driving there im from Australia where driving is a lot better and safer but will say this in the Philippines drivers do have a lot of respect for other drivers we do have our own vehicle and when in Philippines we drive but you need to know what you doing and were you going, you do some thing wrong and get caught you will be fine five times the normal fine.

But enjoy Philippines is a great place to be in

Clarry

rod iddles wrote:

but us ozy's cant be as bad a drivers as these Filipino taxi drivers  lol

There is a lot less visible anger on roads in the Philippines than in Australia.

any idears i work in tourism in Paris Chauffeur ect.. prepare retirement there & myanmar indonesia singhapour malay wats better+33648918904
chambers cult centers ambassies i will contact is free lance jobs or any trade buisness worth
thank you  do you need anything from here send sms or youse imo

rod iddles wrote:

but us ozy's cant be as bad a drivers as these Filipino taxi drivers  lol

Not in the race by a long shot! I will never complain about Aussie drivers again!

agottgens wrote:

any idears i work in tourism in Paris Chauffeur ect.. prepare retirement there & myanmar indonesia singhapour malay wats better+33648918904
chambers cult centers ambassies i will contact is free lance jobs or any trade buisness worth
thank you  do you need anything from here send sms or youse imo

You have mentioned chambers before in your posts, what is it?  I am curious.

In reply to backing a car in a space Katefs4... Are you insane??? For 40 years of driving a car in the U.S.  , NEVER  are you supposed to back into a parking space. You said it's easier to pull out??? Really?? but it still takes you longer to back in. ( with more caution required) why take a chance of backing in and squeezing between two cars when it's not necessary???? It's much easier to back out of a space into a larger main area... Common sense! Maybe you have trouble backing out of a space??? Huh? I have read quite a few opinions on this Expat site, but your justification for backing into a parking space instead of just normally driving forward into one is the most REDICULOUS I have read so far. It's this kind of logic that will continue to contribute to this countries poor if not horrible driving habits. I plan on retiring here in two years in Cebu after my house is finished, Now I know why things will never progress if we continue with this kind of thinking.

Driving in The Philippines is not for the faint hearted. There are few rules and regulations it seems and it is everyone for themselves at times, however wheel clamping in Iloilo has just come in so be careful where you park!
Once outside the main cities things are easier. We drove from Iloilo all the way to Estancia and it was a pleasent run. You have to watch out for the roads though as some are in very poor condition and where roadworks are underway there are some massive concrete ramps to negotiate.
Other than that my advise would be to keep your ears and eyes open and go with the flow.

arty5987 wrote:

<..>NEVER  are you supposed to back into a parking space. You said it's easier to pull out??? <..> It's much easier to back out of a space into a larger main area... Common sense!

Its normal to reverse into car parking spaces.
It is illogical to drive forward in, and have to risk reversing out into oncoming cars
It's much easier to drive forwards out of a space where you can see the oncoming cars

It's interesting how different Nationalities see things differently ;)

ABCDiamond wrote:
arty5987 wrote:

<..>NEVER  are you supposed to back into a parking space. You said it's easier to pull out??? <..> It's much easier to back out of a space into a larger main area... Common sense!

Its normal to reverse into car parking spaces.
It is illogical to drive forward in, and have to risk reversing out into oncoming cars
It's much easier to drive forwards out of a space where you can see the oncoming cars

It's interesting how different Nationalities see things differently ;)

From Australia, too, and I don't think the majority of Australians reverse into parking spaces! Some do, yes, but I wouldn't say it is normal.

"Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in the Philippines? "

Excuse my dismay, but have you ever even drove in the Philippines in order to ask this question? What safety rules? What driving etiquette(other then every man for himself)? In the cities I would never drive myself. Kano's are seen as an instant cash machine for any passing constabulary.

Illogical??? Really, think about it. You would rather take the chance of scratching or denting cars on either side of you rather than just backing out slowly into a more WIDE OPEN area. Unless maybe when you back out, You just floor the gas. Again... COMMON SENSE. Also, if there are cars behind you and you decide to back in, that means you have to go past that space, stop all the other cars and possibly have them all back up just so you can back your car in... Again.... COMMKN SENSE
       DRIVE WITH COMMON SENSE... Problem is not much if any is used in the Philippines.🙀

arty5987 wrote:

Illogical??? Really, think about it. You would rather take the chance of scratching or denting cars on either side of you rather than just backing out slowly into a more WIDE OPEN area. Unless maybe when you back out, You just floor the gas. Again... COMMON SENSE. Also, if there are cars behind you and you decide to back in, that means you have to go past that space, stop all the other cars and possibly have them all back up just so you can back your car in... Again.... COMMKN SENSE
       DRIVE WITH COMMON SENSE... Problem is not much if any is used in the Philippines.🙀

Being taught to reverse park when learning, and when everyone does it with ease, why change to a more complicated system of risking scratching the cars with the front end as you reverse out, at an angle.  Car parking spaces have small areas, never wide open spaces, so impossible to just reverse straight out.  We learn as new drivers how to reverse park, so why waste the learning?

Cars behind you expect to wait while parking anyway, it is the done thing.

COMMON SENSE really as you say.  But then again, in America, with its bigger parking spaces I suppose it is easier to do what you say, and not have to learn how to reverse park ;)

MORE complicated to forward park than reverse??? We in America also learn parallel parking, u-turns, backing in, and all the other fun stuff, but to say that pulling straight forward into a spot is More complicated than reverse??  Maybe you should just permanently drive in reverse.., easier.... Yes? To add a footnote... Do you know why we don't allow cars to back in a parking space? Did you ever notice there are usually these white cement bumpers to which you pull your car up to. If everyone backed their cars in, those nice white bumpers eventually  become black with exhaust fumes.  Not a very appealing look. Especially if they just re-painted the parking lot including those nice white bumpers.

Sheer lunacy

arty5987 wrote:

To add a footnote... Do you know why we don't allow cars to back in a parking space? Did you ever notice there are usually these white cement bumpers to which you pull your car up to.

Different countries different things.

You don't allow cars to back in a parking space in the US ?
You have white cement bumpers ?

No, I had no idea.  Its a weird world isn't it :)

arty5987 wrote:

MORE complicated to forward park than reverse???.

It is more the complications of reversing out into incoming vehicles, and passing pedestrians, when vision is restricted by having to reverse, looking behind you, and still keep looking forward to ensure that you don't hit the cars parked next to you as you pull back, turning at an angle.

When you have reverse parked, you only need to look forward and drive straight out when leaving the parking space. So much easier.

When reverse parking, you drive past the spot, with indicator on to tell people what you are doing, moving or to the left to get the correct angle for a easy reverse into the parking spot.

However I did just read a US website that says: "The reverse parking manoeuvre has a reputation for being one of the most difficult test manoeuvres and as a result, fails a great many driving tests.".  I thought it was easy and common...

A well ordered UK car park :)
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/01/17/article-1243877-07DF6728000005DC-866_468x286.jpg
Not a single car parked incorrectly ;)
Headlined: (Car owners have been told they must reverse into parking spaces at their offices)

Car Parks in the Philippines ?  Any road or pavement will do ;)

ABCDiamond wrote:
arty5987 wrote:

To add a footnote... Do you know why we don't allow cars to back in a parking space? Did you ever notice there are usually these white cement bumpers to which you pull your car up to.

Different countries different things.

However I did just read a US website that says: "The reverse parking manoeuvre has a reputation for being one of the most difficult test manoeuvres and as a result, fails a great many driving tests.".  I thought it was easy and common...

I think that is referring to parallel parking, not reversing into spaces in carparks. Parallel parking is probably included in the driving test of most countries and for many people it is very difficult. Self-parking will no doubt fix that problem!

OzFreddie wrote:

I think that is referring to parallel parking, not reversing into spaces in carparks. Parallel parking is probably included in the driving test of most countries and for many people it is very difficult. Self-parking will no doubt fix that problem!

Good point.  Never considered that one.

Way back when I first took my driving test in California, it was part of the drivers test to parallel park, it wasn't easy, but it was highly doable. I doubt if it is even required anymore, with all the liberal nonsense that prevails now. I can hear them now " t would not be fair to little Sally, who lived under a rock all these years to expect her to this". God help us!!

First there are some important rules - biggest goes first. Buses in the lead, then jeepneys followed by taxi drivers, wild Stockholmers like me, tricycles and walking corn sellers...

Traffic lights are probably reminders of Xmas days and are never removed - anyway noone cares about them in Manila - I guess it's the same in other parts of the country.

There are no circulation places so when you drive wrong there are U-turn places - I was called Mr U-turn by my pinays and pinoys passengers...

Pay stations... choose the right lane - else a uniformed guy with a magnum will stop you and ask you to continue in the wrong lane thereby breaking some kind of rule. It costed me 500 php on the pacific highway to get my driving license back before my flight home...

First there are some important rules - biggest goes first. Buses in the lead, then jeepneys followed by taxi drivers, wild Stockholmers like me, tricycles and walking corn sellers... forgot two wheel bikes... equal with tricycles I think...

Traffic lights are probably reminders of Xmas days and are never removed - anyway noone cares about them in Manila - I guess it's the same in other parts of the country.

There are no circulation places so when you drive wrong there are U-turn places - I was called Mr U-turn by my pinays and pinoys passengers...

Pay stations... choose the right lane - else a uniformed guy with a magnum will stop you and ask you to continue in the wrong lane thereby breaking some kind of rule. It costed me 500 php on the pacific highway to get my driving license back before my flight home...

showing  pictures doesn't really justify backing into s spot. Forward driving is still much easier. I guess that's why we Americans celebrate July 4th. Our Independence Day of 1776. Would not want to abide by those rules. 👍 Cheers!

arty5987 wrote:

showing  pictures doesn't really justify backing into s spot.

The picture isn't justifying it. but showing what is REQUIRED by that government department, and showing what is commonly done.

An Insurance companies view on Reverse Parking:

You might find it easier to drive straight into a space, but there are advantages to reversing in:

Safer– it's safer to reverse into a space you can see than reversing out into moving traffic that you can't see clearly.
Cheaper– reversing when your car is cold uses around 20 to 25% more fuel in the first few seconds.e
More secure– etc....  http://www.directline.com/car-insurance … ty/parking

arty5987 wrote:

Forward driving is still much easier. I guess that's why we Americans celebrate July 4th. Our Independence Day of 1776. Would not want to abide by those rules. 👍 Cheers!

I understand that.  That's the time you switched to the French style of travelling on the Right too, after the French assisted in American independence. ;)

In the early years of English colonisation of North America, English driving customs were followed and the colonies drove on the left. After gaining independence from England, however, they were anxious to cast off all remaining links with their British colonial past and gradually changed to right-hand driving. Incidentally, the influence of other European immigrants, especially the French, should not be underestimated.

However, I agree that we should all accept that each other has their own preferential way of doing things and not put anyone elses way down as wrong.

Except for the driver who reversed out without looking yesterday and hit a child that he didn't see, and that child banged into his mother, who fell against my fiancee, who almost fell over, but scratched me as she grabbed me.
He should have reversed in, then would have had a clear view of driving out.

Not sure of the relevance of Independece Day and car parking ,but know one thing for sure your gun laws are not something to be proud of .

The Philippine style of driving is somewhat similar  to the way they conduct their everyday life. With absolutely no regard  for what how their last maneuver in traffic will affect anybody else, nor do they care. But if you are a foreigner God Forbid the day you touch of them or their vehicle.To them, it is if they just won the lottery. Believe me you will pay regardless who fault it was, I guess the PNP reasoning is you are foreign which equals rich. And you need to share your money. A guy in the compound I live in hit a motorcyclist, in the early evening, killed the motorcyclist, it cost him a million peso's even though the guy had no lights, not one light front or back. He had witnesses but didn't matter, you must pay if you  are foreign. I wonder if they have heard the story about continuing going to the river, until the river went dry.

madhatter868 wrote:

The Philippine style of driving is somewhat similar  to the way they conduct their everyday life. With absolutely no regard  for what how their last maneuver in traffic will affect anybody else, nor do they care. But if you are a foreigner God Forbid the day you touch of them or their vehicle.To them, it is if they just won the lottery. Believe me you will pay regardless who fault it was, I guess the PNP reasoning is you are foreign which equals rich. And you need to share your money. A guy in the compound I live in hit a motorcyclist, in the early evening, killed the motorcyclist, it cost him a million peso's even though the guy had no lights, not one light front or back. He had witnesses but didn't matter, you must pay if you  are foreign. I wonder if they have heard the story about continuing going to the river, until the river went dry.

My gf nephew was shot dead, 6 shots in the face by a hit man because he hit a tricycle driver and put him in hospital without income. Both drivers were unlicensed, no insurance. Beware, my friends!

I now have a driver to drive me in my trike after trying out two others, but fingers crossed he may stay with me, as so far he turns up when I need him, and ALWAYS on time.
Even though he appears to be OK  I still cant relax because now that I have my own private transport I am a little nervous in case it gets scratched. haha. but so far we have only had a minor bingle, and everybody went on their merry way as though nothing happened. Also he does not give way to people on the crossings...when I questioned him on this he replied that the road is for traffic not people.
I could not understand his reasoning , but who am I to try understanding the Filipino mind, so I just gave a nod and put my brain back into zombie mode.
Oh by the way my IQ used to be 136, but since living here it has slipped down to 120, and at that rate in another few years or so I will have the same IQ level as the "road warriors."

madhatter868 wrote:

Not trying to sound flip with the reply, but considering the dangers of driving in the Philippines at night, why would you? In the case of emergencies, unless you are in a very rural area, transportation should be available. My wife and I absolutely do not drive at night for the reasons you listed and we also keep up to date numbers for transportation we can hire in case of emergency.

I think I was a lucky driver. Rented a van for 2 weeks and tested how to drive in Manila (QC, Pasig) day and night (evening) and also south pacific highway. I showed my muscles a little bit and never had a scratch, I only lost 500 php on the highway when I had to pay (bribe) the magnum guy after having chosed wrong lane... I also drove to/from Batangas and Bataan. A year ago I drove on Palawan - the only problem was a non existing road and lack of ATMs...

In his case, he was an employed Expat working in the agri-business, just finished work and was on his way home he had his mishap. As far as driving at night, personally I refrain from doing it. If I have to go to the Airport or somewhere I just hire a van and a driver. I understand what your are saying, but the point of my story was not to talk about the actual driving, but the mindset of the locals.

madhatter868 wrote:

In his case, he was an employed Expat working in the agri-business, just finished work and was on his way home he had his mishap. As far as driving at night, personally I refrain from doing it. If I have to go to the Airport or somewhere I just hire a van and a driver. I understand what your are saying, but the point of my story was not to talk about the actual driving, but the mindset of the locals.

Agreed, there is little respect for their and their families safety and less for others. It's a dangerous brew.

true

I drove in the States for over 30 years and when parking would use both methods of parking depending on my circumstances. I prefer backing in because it is fast and easy if done correctly. I love the Philippines because the government does not invade the lives of their people by creating laws that take away their people freedoms like In the States and other western cultures.

The Philippines doesn't "invade" people right to do anything. The reason is simple, the Filipino's would just ignore the laws anyway. I guess I am just old-fashioned, but I prefer the countries with rules of law when it comes to driving. This nonsense that I must be first no matter what is crap. The one I laugh and laugh over is when they decide to pass you when leaving a road construction area, as soon as traffic starts to move some jerk starts out around the traffic already in line. Then they get pissed off when you won't let them cut in front of you, They are complete animals.

you are absolutely correct when you say they would not follow the law. that is because the law is not enforced and if it was in forced its is because the police wanted a bribe not because their was a violation. I am constantly cut off or dangerously passed, but I slow down and laugh at their stupidity and hope no one gets hurt. laws and rules are great to have and follow if instituted properly by people that are not out for corrupt purposes but for the safety and well being of others that have respect for people in general. I have been driving here five years and  am constantly reminded to be a defensive driver whether in my van or my motorcycle. but like all countries there are good drivers and there are bad drivers. and here there are want to be drivers that got their license from a gumball machine(LTO) :)

Yes indeed, I live in the province and the drivers here astound me. I don't know this, but I think they save up enough money buy a car or motor and that makes them drivers. Just when you think you have seen everything some idiot does something new and completely off the wall. The part that me the saddest is the utter disregard they have for human life.But they just don't care.

Whilst I was sitting in a Trike today going to the Immigration Dept. I just sat back with an open mind and watched the traffic, weaving in and out, without an accident, but plenty of near misses though, and I came to the conclusion that they drive with luck, excellent reflexes, God watching over them (that is what they think), and a feeling of invincibility, and upon questioning my driver at the end of the day my thoughts were proven correct.
I asked him what would happen if his brakes failed, he had a blowout, his steering failed, he made an error of judgement, he became unwell, or for any other reason, and he answered that these things would not  happen to him because of what I mentioned above, and  furthermost from his mind was to have an accident, because accidents only happen to others but not to him.
And when all is said and done I have to admit that for all of this crazy driving you would expect there to be more accidents on the roads......... so who am I to question the lunatics, and the road warriors, and one thing that you dont get here is road rage, unlike Australia where you dare not upset somebody on the road for fear of being bashed, or even losing your life. (I kid you not)
So I guess that we cant judge others when people in our own regulated countries are more dangerous than they are here, and I have never noticed any road rage whatsoever in the four years that I have lived in Dumaguete, but maybe would have some in Manila........maybe.

I got my Philippines drivers license, drove for one week and then never again!

I will either get a heart attack, kill someone in a fit of road rage or have my head explode because of the high blood pressure that driving here causes. They are simply crazy in traffic but then again, a lot of them don't have a drivers license or have "bought" one so what can you expect. The total lack of any discipline and the overwhelming "me me me" mentality that they proudly display in traffic does not help of course.

And as said before in this thread, a foreigner that is involved in a traffic accident is ALWAYS at fault. It's just not worth the aggravation, my wife likes to drive and is used to this crazy traffic so she's always the designated driver. :-)