Let's talk.. Cell Phones - cards/carriers - 3g - etc.

Let's face it .. Most ppl use phones albeit smart or non smart phones in VN.   The longer i've lived here it seems there are (as always) ways to save money and more options we learn about while living /using phones here. 

Some Providers:

Mobi
Viettel
Vinaphone

* usually callers with the same providers can get better rates.  There are monthly discounts on cards midmonth and end of the month.  If i left any out please add.

Free app to app calling for smartphones:

Facetime(iphone)
Wechat
Line
Viber
Whatsapp
Tango

* the app store has all the reviews on these apps, so you can learn which are the most popular or better suited for your needs. If i left any out please add.

3G- Wifi - Interwebs

The only tip I have for 3g is that you can pre-purchase 3g with your prepaid card vnd at value. You text a code message to the provider requesting how much 3g you would like to purchase. 
WIFI, well usually it's good.. But, not so much lately.  There needs to be an alternative to sharks biting vietnam's cable.. Hmmm...

Internetsharkie

Well, i just wanted to hear from other people living here about their experiences with the providers and apps here.. Dropped calls?  Spam?

Who has the best deals?  Who has the best service? Do certain districts have better wifi? Shops? I know starbucks wifi is decent.  Any tips for using particular providers or apps?  Any tips or meaningful experiences would be appreciated!  Thanks!

I'm wondering the same thing. I currently have mobifone and its okay...just okay. I have to go to a mobifone place every month and re-up on data which is a pain. Is there a provider that I can setup to just take money from an account each month?

To call international I always use Skype. It works very well with voice calls, sometimes FaceTime can be fidgety depending the connection. Texting on skype is alright as well, some messages take longer to reach you, but it's not like I'm trying to meet up with them for coffee.

Most ca phe shops have decent internet and operate on their own paid network. When the Sharks were biting I was tweaking.

Hi

"Who has the best deals?  Who has the best service? Do certain districts have better wifi? Shops? I know starbucks wifi is decent.  Any tips for using particular providers or apps?  Any tips or meaningful experiences would be appreciated!  Thanks!" => I use mobifone service. Most people use mobifone in HCM city so it is very economical to use this service. If you live in a countryside area, use viettel.

I haven't used vinafone so I don't know how to talk about it.

Wifi is popular everywhere so don't worry about it. If not, FOR MOBIFONE USER ONLY- just send a message Dk D5 and send to 999 for mobifone so you will have 1gb using for 1 day. If you want to have a mobile data using for 1 month, send message DK MIU (or BMIU) to 999 again. fee: MIU - 70 000d/month(around 3$) or BMIU-200 000d/month(10$)

Regards

Whos_your_Addy wrote:

I'm wondering the same thing. I currently have mobifone and its okay...just okay. I have to go to a mobifone place every month and re-up on data which is a pain. Is there a provider that I can setup to just take money from an account each month.

Tbh, I've heard horror stories about automatic payments.. I'd go with a pre-pay in advance.. I havent heard anything about viettel if there is anything like that.. I've yet to use skype..  It seems to be the rage for foreigners calling back home.. Thanks Addy

Thanks Dejavu for adding the codes for pre-purchasing Gigabytes from mobi.. Yes, it seems most folks in Saigon will use mobi..  I've also noticed alot of Vietnamese folks use Viettel as well.

I found the link for Viettel:

Viettel prepaid- i cant read vietnamese- use google translate

You can try the website: www.esimcard.net for put money in the phone easier.
Cheers.

You can buy Viettel 3G SIM at 3gviettel.vn/ and use 3G on your mobile, it very good.
Have fun!