Looking for fellow Singaporeans/Malaysians in Shanghai

Hi! I am a SIngaporean who just moved to Shanghai. Hoping to get to know fellow Singaporeans/Malaysians here!

hello there! I am from Malaysia! glad to meet you! i am gonna move into shanghai next week, this is my second time staying in shanghai! hope we could meet up, I'm more than happy to meet a singaporean! add me in we chat: cheryl leong

Hi

Im Jenn from SG! I will be moving to SH in 3weeks. Would love to meet up with you ladies

u can add me in we chat: cherylleong1310 (id)

Hi I am Emily from SG and I have been in Shanghai for a few months! You can add me on wechat: emilyyingxian . Would love to hangout with u guys:)

Hey folksies!  :cheers:

Just yesterday, I'd been asked by my current employer to come over to Shanghai for 2 months. They're planning to 'ship' me over and start work next week. Totally short notice, and I'm fretting what to pack. No idea what to expect seriously, as I'd never been to Shanghai before! But I'd love to be able to meet up with fellow Singaporeans and Malaysians. Hope to make it for any events coming up!

I'm sad that there's no Christmas holidays, but here's looking forward to experiencing the ushering of 2015 in a different city (albeit not with my fellow kakis, haha).

Can I add you guys on WeChat?

Hi Teabie!

Great to have one more SG/Msia join us.

Its getting cold here and SH is windy. So a few fleece inner wear and windproof jacket would be handy. 2mths will zip by in a flash and probably you wouldnt need to bring anything over. Although imported things like cheese, yogurt, chips , handcream, can be expensive.China doesnt care about religious holidays so Dec and Xmas would be business as usual

When are you coming over?

Hey Jenny,

They are still trying to schedule my arrival into Shanghai, so they haven't told me the exact date/time yet. They're hoping to get me up and running by next Monday, so I am prepared to fly out this Sunday. Hopefully I get to transit in Singapore just so I can say hi to my parents.

The heads-up is great, thanks for that! I'll probably just pack in warm work & casual clothes then, and my usual toiletries & skin regime stuff.

Should I bring in enough cash to tide myself over, since I don't have a bank account in China?

Is WeChat the best app to use in China, as all other social platforms are banned? Is WhatsApp still useable?

Banking
So far , the only local bank that i know of which has Eng option for online banking is ICBC. You can always do an interbank transfer after you setup an acct here. Getting a local atm card would be very helpful for daily use such as at the supermarket or local restaurants. Unless you are at the city center, i doubt any other local banks have personnel who can speak English. Banking can be frustrating. Eg you will need to present your passport to open an acct but if you need to change the pin of the atm card, they require ID card and passport wont do! Even God cant comprehend this logic.

Quite amazingly, the great firewall blks out google and all google related websites incl playstore, googlemaps. Even Viber (isreal owned) is BLOCKED at times.  I use a VPN to access these but through a VPN connection, the internet can be slow at times. But i cant help it as my life dep on googlemap ! Whatsapp seems fine and the locals uses wechat mostly

Hope you find time to visit your parents and spend some quality time together!

BTW, do you play tennis?

Thanks, Jenny!!! That's all really useful information - hopefully I'll be able to get a bank account up and running at ICBC soon. And no Google Maps!?  :huh:

I don't know if I'm living in the city centre, but I do know I'll be living in the Xuhui District.

I can't play tennis unfortunately, haha. You must be hoping for a tennis partner!

teabie, xuhui district is in the city :)

Thanks, Cheryl!

Anyone has any tips about taking the taxis from Pudong Airport? Any specific kind of cabs to avoid?

Teabie,

wanna meet up this weekend? wechat me id taralein

Hey Jenny, it says I can't add you as the ID doesn't exist. Hmmm.

I'd been posted to Hong Kong for this weekend to work (sigh). But I certainly hope I'm able to meet you for a meal sometime next week. It seems we have to work on most Saturdays. I'm a bit shocked.

Anyways, my wechat number is +61 40 356 8516. Add me if you can. :)

Hi Teabie

Thanks for the contact. I cant find you in wechat. Is it the privacy settings? Could you add me instead id "taralein"

Hi Jenny,

I still can't find your ID. I'd gone to set my own ID as a result. Hope you're able to find me at teabie_matsuri!

Hi ladies, I'm Pearl from Malaysia, living in Hangzhou since Sept. I often go to Shanghai as it's only 1 hour by train  n would love to meet up with Malaysians or Singaporeans. I will try n WeChat u girls, my id is PearlBj as my husband n I were previously living in Beijing. If anyone is visiting Hangzhou meantime, let me know.

hello there, welcome to Shanghai and i hope you could really enjoy your life here.

hello there, sorry to bother you in this way, but do you know anyone that is currently in Singapore? we are looking for a language teacher.

Its great time to hangout SG/Malay , I can speak Tamil if probably I can also join your group. This month before Christmas I will be in Shanghai.

hey there!

This is Samantha, just moved to Shanghai for a 3 month internship! I am from JB, Malaysia and worked in Singapore before! Let's get in touch! wanna meet new friends for after work activities yeah! My wechat ID : ++++
cheers

Moderated by Maximilien 8 years ago
Reason : avoid posting your personal details + use the private message pls

I've just moved to Shanghai from Singapore. If any of you wants to catch up for coffee or food or some random chit-chatting, drop me a message!

helo all,

i'll be working at SH next month, most probably, hope can hv meals with you all later.

btw, im from Penang, can I bring the durian inside my checked-in luggage? haha