Playa Lagarto Eco Developement

There are a lot of resorts that were started and abandoned in different phases of the development  around especially the Ostional area. 2008 a lot of projects shut down. Traveling  around you see a lot of bank owned property.

There are many American's who come into Costa Rica and purchase farms (fincas).  They pretend it is a legal registered development, sell the lots to Gringo suckers, and then never provide deeds to those lots.  In most cases they sell all the lots and then leave the country.  Costa Rica has more land scams than any country on earth.  Do not pay a single cent until you are sitting in a lawyers office and looking directly at the deeds to the property, and never use the sellers lawyer.  If you even suspect that the seller is a scam artist, send a letter to Procuraduria General de la Republica, Avenida 2 y 6, calle 13 Apdo 78-1003 La Corte, San Jose, Costa Rica.  This government agency is looking for American scammers who are involved in this type of corruption.

Hi Bob,
Sorry, I am so busy that do not have even time to check the messages on the forum.
The house is almost built. I have got a few issues during construction but nothing too serious. Looks like the house will be finished in August or maybe September. THat's when I will go to CR and spend probably couple weeks.
How is your lot. Are you getting ready for construction?

Hello Roy,
Thank you for getting back to me. I guess it would be unrealistic for any of us to expect to build a home in a foreign country with no problems, so it is good to hear your's are not to serious!  Who is your architect and builder?  I had planned to visit CR this year but have now delayed our visit until March 2016 at which time I will decide on when we start the building process which I assume could take up to eighteen months from planning to completion. I would be very interested to hear how close to your original budget you are, as I hear it is not very often that contractors meet it!  I hope the rest of the building process goes smoothly and you are able to move in soon.  I look forward to meeting you next year.

Best regards Bob.

Hi Beach Canuck, There is something better than living in a HOA gated community, or living in the open where your home could be robbed every time you walk away from it.  The solution is to live in a gated community where each owner has deeds to their lots, the community is at the end of a "municipal road", where it is legal to have a gate, which can legally be closed from 5pm to 5am "with the consent of all lot owners in that community".  You can have a security guard, a gardener, and not be subject to HOA fees or be controlled by anyone but the municipal government, you can do whatever you want with your lot, and not be dictated about what you can or cannot build.  Any fees we pay are voluntary, so we give $60. per month.  This is the perfect setup.  You can live in an unprotected home in Costa Rica, but it's just a matter of time before you come home and all your appliances are missing, or you end up wrapped up in duct tape laying on the living room floor, which is what happened to an old couple a few years back.

Just wondering if there is any level of notable construction going (and pictures)  on there yet, or mostly just sales.....
May head down there later this year to check out.

Yes, BeachCanuck,

There are quite a few houses already built on phase one, and a bunch on their way !  Quite a few villas are done (even the lanscape) and others are being built as we speek.  There is one house finish in phase 2.  There are two of us, owners, that lives on site full time ! 

M-C

I am here in Tamarindo and also have a lot at Playa Lagarto. I'm planning to drive over one day this week and have a look. I'll let you know and take a few pictures.

Hello Joan Marie,
I'm in a conversation with an agent regarding land in Playa Lagarto.
I red the thread and curios regarding current situation.
How many free lots remain now?
Have you got a latest photo from Playa Lagarto? Can you share them?
Thank you in advance.
Peter

I'm traveling today - will send tomorrow.  Would you like to give me your email address?

Thank you Joan Marie

I've got more questions can I write you?

Of course.

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For own security measures, please do not share email address on the forum, you could use our private message system

Hello,  Joan Marie.
I have a lot D61, face 3 at Playa Lagarto .
I'm wondering if you are able to give me a some of idea of what is going on there. 
I bought a lot on 2013 and still have no title for the lot.
Thank you.

If you want to send me an email, I'll give you as much detail as I have and some pictures.

Reason : For own security measures, please do not share email address on the forum.

Hello D L Toronto,
I just read your post and noticed you identified your LOT as D61 in phase 4 which didn't make any sense to me!  Who did you purchase your LOT through?  Our LOT is C55 in Phase 3, which is just in front of LOT C58 that is next to your LOT!  I have now visited the development twice and although I didn't see the LOT marker for your LOT I did for the other LOTS around ours and they all had C on them!  That said, I have heard that area of the development referred to as Phase 3/4, so you just need someone on site to visually confirm your LOT marker for you.

You also mentioned you do not have a title yet!  Do have a copy of the Purchase and Sales Agreement and a Original Cadastral Plan (Fully stamped with original registration fee receipts from the Bank of Costa Rica),  that identifies your LOT on the plan?  Also, please be aware that all the development/ LOTS are incorporated (NOT FREEHOLD), so you should have received a Quata Certificate, etc, in your name.  Please note, there are several people on this blog who should be able to clarify these point for your better than I.

Hello, Burnebob.
Thank you for responding to my posting.
Yes, I did purchase a LOT D61 on Fhase 3 from Recap Investment on July 2014. I"m having only a Reservation agreement,residential condo lot sales contract and condominium management and construction regulation.  Which was signed by me only.  I have nothing else you was mentioned.(Cadastral  Plan, Quata certificate,etc.) Nothing that can be  stamped with original registration fee receipts from Bank of CR.
Thanks again for your help.
All the best, DL

Hello DL,
Clearly if you have actually purchased LOT D61 then you should have full evidence of that!  I would suggest you talk directly to Recap Investments who I am sure will send you all the relevant documentation.  I didn't realise that LOT was earmarked for condominiums, so I will be calling them also, to find out more!

Hello, Burnebob

Thank you so much.
DL

"Understanding Properties in Condominium"

In the U.S. and Canada, condominium refers to residences in multi-tenant buildings. In Costa Rica, the Condominium Law benefits developers responsible for building many types of properties, including single-family homes, finished lot projects, and condos. The law allows developers to regulate the development with By-Laws that can be registered in the National Registry to the individual lot, home or condo. The By-Laws outline the restrictions and benefits placed on individuals who purchase these properties and as well possibly the property itself. This is still fee simple ownership, but properties "en condominium" come with additional restrictions that are generally intended to protect the integrity of the development's physical ambiance. If you are considering purchasing a property that is “en condominium”, read the by-laws before you buy or have a professional do so for you:

Note, not the same as a 'condominium' as in multiple dwellings.

Read more here

On Monday Aug 31st, on AMCOSTARICA was an article relating to the 'condominium' and HOA as it sometimes operates here

hello, i am building a villa in phase 2 are you currently on site? thanks

MR MARKO wrote:

hello, i am building a villa in phase 2 are you currently on site? thanks

is anyone currently on site that could take a few photos and send them to me?

If I were you I would ask the contractor to do it because this time of year not many people are around

Mr Marko, We live here, on phase 1 !   Write me your e-mail address in a private message, and let me know what lot you want us to take pictures of.

Hello ERMAC,
Our house in PLED is almoust finished and we are planning to come to CR for a month. As I see you guys live in phase 1 for a while. I have a few questions:
- do you have an insurance for you property ?
- how is the internet service in PLED?
- where do you go for groceries shopping? To Santa Cruze or there are any shops closer?
- do ypu rent a car? If yes, do you rent in Liberia or somwhere else?
- did you furnished your hose by yourself or you used PLED to supply furniture?

Thanks

Hello Roy,
We did take insurance with INS for our house.  Price is according to what your house and content are worthed.
We used a "smarf key" type for our internet as it seems to be the best option for us as we live here.  Since you are only coming fot a month, I would suggest you use an unblock cell phone, get an ICE KOLBI phone/internet prepaid card and use internet that way. Local phone calls are pretty cheap and internet runs at about ~15.00$ USD a month.  When we first got here, we spent about 9000.00 colónes per month for phone/internet.  The reception is pretty good.
For grocery, it depend what we need.  We try to go to the Saturday's market in Santa Cruz.  There is also quite a few special grocery store there, but sometimes we like to go to Mega Super in Tamarindo for the meat as we feel there is more choices.  But to be fair, Santa Cruz has tons of meat shop.  There is a smaller grocery store in 27 de Abril.  That would be the closest one.
We now bought a vehicle but before we did, we always rented in Liberia.  There is more choice and it is very convenient. Make sure it is a 4x4 !!!
As for our furniture, we shipped ours from home.  Would I recommand PLED to supply it ?  Not sure.  I am certain you could save $$ by doing it yourself. But it might be more convenient to you if PLED does it.  Your call.  We brought a bunch of kitchen stuff from home with us in the plane.  We are glad we did !
If you have more specific questions, you can ask in private message if you wish !  Looking forward to meeting you !
Marie-Claude

Thanks a lot Marie-Claude for the usefull information.

Hello Marie-Claude,
I hope everything is going well for you at PLED, not easy being one of the first to move in!  As a fellow  lot owner (Phase3-C55) I really appreciate you taking the time to help and advice your future neighbors, "thank you". 

In your reply to Roy_F you suggested using an unlocked cell phone and phone card.  I currently have an iPhone 4 that works perfectly well so I thought I would upgrade to a iPhone 6 here in the USA and use the 4 for Costa Rica. Will I need to change the sim-card when I arrive?  If so, is there a shop near you or Liberia airport that can do that for me?  We normally stay in Tamarindo when we visit PLED.

Many Thanks Bob.

Hello Bob !

That is exactly what I have, an Iphone 4.  Got a sim card in Tamarindo.  There is a little office downtown where you can get it.  They will even install it for you and make sure it works ! You can get it done at many different places, as they are all over.  There is a big office in Santa Cruz also !  I was recommanded ICE KOLBI and so far so good.  Even here, in Lagarto, the signal is good.  Mind you I have the 3G cellular data/internet on it.  It is not the fastest, but it works perfect for here !

And I do not mind all the questions.  My husband and I are both retired so we have plenty of time in our hands to spare.  And by the way, we love it here. 
Marie-Claude

Hello Marie-Claude,
Thank you for the information, sounds like a good communications solution!

My wife and I are really happy to hear how much you are enjoying your new life in CR as we know first hand that relocating to a new country has its challenges.  We moved to the US from the UK fifteen years ago and didn't have to learn a new language!

We plan to make our third visit to PLED next April with the objective of getting the design process started and hope to get the opportunity to meet up with fellow expats, so I will keep you posted early next year. 

Best Regards Bob.

Looking forward to meeting you ! You can come visit our home if you wish as the design is quite different than the other house on site.

Hello Marie-Claude,
Thank you, we look forward to that, I am very interest in the steel frame construction you used!  I will be interested hear the pros and cons after you have lived in your new home awhile.  If don't mind sharing some photos, *

Many Thanks Bob.

Reason : For own security measures, please do not share email address on the forum, you could use our private message system for that.

Hello Joan,
I see you are from Calgary as we are. How do you fly to Liberia? via Toronto or via US?
Thanks

Generally United Airlines via Houston. They mostly have the best schedules.  I have sometimes flown on Air Canada through Toronto but that is often a longer layover.

I'm not sure if you are aware but Westjer has just begun a direct flight to Liberia. I think it actually starts November or December and will run at least during high season. I've booked a trip on January in Westjet. They will fly 4 days (I think) a week and it will be a night flight.

Does any one know of someone who is looking for a lot in the development

I will check with friends. How big and what is the lot number/phase?

Phase 1 lot 89 or 56 1.25 acres. Thank you. I am heading there in February.

Make sure you stop by, rocketman58 !

Thanks, I will be there in April and plan to take a friend to visit PLED, so will make sure he gets to see your lots!  I will get back to you if he is interested,

Regards Bob.

Thanks Bob appreciate it just so you know lot 56 is my preferred lot to bid on lot 89 is the one I am most motivated to sell. 89 is somewhat negotiable 56 is firm at the current lot prices at the time.