Crime in amman - how safe?

is there a no go area?
anyone experienced any violence or burglary?

Jordan - with thanking for God- the most safe country in region ...

we go every where in any time .. no any problem

The only crime is the high price of imports. But as far as safety, I sleep with my doors open.

i heard bad things about zarqa and wehdat. I experienced 2 attacks and one burglary. I lived in russayfa place called jabal alshomali. umm some man in the bus followed me and sexually harrassed me. in wehdat, no one told me it was not a very safe place so i got this weird van drive to wehdat from madaba. I was walking around it was late at night 10;sh or so. big purse anyhow, things got weird. so i decided to take a taxi, a man helped me out. only to run back get in my taxi and anyhow it was a big argument between me him and the taxi driver. i got out. the man followed and attacked me, grabbed my arms not fun at all. In my apartment building in Dhahayat alrashid, i opened the door, to what i thought to be a class mate, it was some random man trying to sell something i dont know, i told him i didnt speak arabic, and anyhow he walkd in my apartment, i was semi asleep so it was my mistake and his evil intentions Well the man ended up harrasing me . stuggled over my phone to call police, ran away with my phone. nice phone.

shirazi,
you mentioned on the forum you dont speak arabic and you walk around by yourself and people may easilly mistake you for a native.
You sound like someone who has difficulty understanding the people and the culture and may contribute towards confusing matters in communication ? ;-)  ...and possibly doing the wrong thing at the wrong time and not being firm in what you are expressing (e.g. a trader walks into your flat).
sorry man...just saying not sure how seriously to take you inorder to take your points.

being independant is different. you dont kno wmy situation to accurately makek a conclusion. my main point was yes things can go wrong. there is violence. there is theft. its not completely safe. common sense. there can not be a completely safe country. JOrdan is an example. and i dont care if people get the wrong impression, that doesnt give anyone theh right to come attack me and take my phone or nearly break my arm.

one more thing, im confusing cultureand people? this sounds like you are excusing the guys who attacked me. like its perfectly fine that som eone felt like he could hamr me just because he thought wrong of me. you are the problem in jordan. and there are many policemen that are ignorant enough to think like you.It is never ok to let some one hurt somebody else because they thought wrong. It would be worse if i mentioned what the police captain told me about it. some people are plain stupid and should be shoveling dirt, and not working with the police. AND i did not say i dont speak arabic.

shirazi wrote:

i heard bad things about zarqa and wehdat. I experienced 2 attacks and one burglary. I lived in russayfa place called jabal alshomali. umm some man in the bus followed me and sexually harrassed me. in wehdat, no one told me it was not a very safe place so i got this weird van drive to wehdat from madaba. I was walking around it was late at night 10;sh or so. big purse anyhow, things got weird. so i decided to take a taxi, a man helped me out. only to run back get in my taxi and anyhow it was a big argument between me him and the taxi driver. i got out. the man followed and attacked me, grabbed my arms not fun at all. In my apartment building in Dhahayat alrashid, i opened the door, to what i thought to be a class mate, it was some random man trying to sell something i dont know, i told him i didnt speak arabic, and anyhow he walkd in my apartment, i was semi asleep so it was my mistake and his evil intentions Well the man ended up harrasing me . stuggled over my phone to call police, ran away with my phone. nice phone.

It says in your profile that you are living in the US at the moment, I'm assuming that you have lived in Jordan for some time, maybe during a certain period of collage also.

Anyways as for your post, yep it is completely true, since there are some places in Jordan which are experiencing extreme poverty and crowdedness, in such you will find a slightly higher crime rate and immorality. You haven't experienced any life threatening situation thank god looks like it's mostly sexual harassments :)

I don't think that anybody is trying to falsely deceive regarding the situation in Jordan, when they say its 100% safe it's not accurate they are just describing who it is for them, but there forgetting the fact that they have lived there all of their lives and know where to go and where they shouldn't near , I'm very well built guy you might even say I'm humongous (191cm/90Kgs) though  there are some places at certain times of the day/night that i wouldn't want to be like you I might also get in trouble.

But what they are trying to say that its about 95% safe and the law enforcement responsibility is very high, what some has mentioned is true I also used to keep my house doors open at night.

in Amman at the old city center (wasat il balad), where it is most unconventional you will see the tourists walking around with their butts half naked without being bothered by the crowd maybe more than a glance and even a stare but nothing more ;

but if your a foreigner coming to Amman you will find that you can move freely in most parts of Jordan 24 hrs a day, you will find most of the people to cooperative and helpful but my advice is if your ever in Jordan on business or pleasure try to socialize with a native from you environment at work or at the university and ask him about the where's and the what's before roaming on your own.

As for you shirazi, can you please share with us some of the good parts during your experience in Jordan? Where the people of any help and have you ever needed to contact the law enforcement and what was your impression?

______

on a nother note, What I said about the ladies in Amman, I'm really missing that stuff; here at most you get a glimpse of the heel, or a bit of the arm and that's as far as it goes for a sexual encounter
Know I'm not complaining or anything KSA after all is a conservative country and i would like to stay as it is.  Im just saying :D:D:D

caised wrote:

The only crime is the high price of imports. But as far as safety, I sleep with my doors open.

hahahaha, spoken as a true Jordanian.. tried any MANSAF yet ?

Im saying crime is possible. and it sdhouldnt be ignored. I love jordan i went back in 10months and i am dying to go back. But yes people need to know where not to go ,because i didnt know! and i ended in places that were not safe. But defintely I can say that you will not get shot at a 7/11 like its possible and it happens in the USA. Jordan is fun, its nice, it has good and bad, i love the super jhot summers! i love waking up and seeing the hills with the white houses! i learned to love the white buildings though i wish it was more colorful! I think a tourist and a local perspective will help tourists to enjoy their visit in JOrdan. We see two different things. Hopefully i will be back this summer! ALl of you must visit me ;)

Hello members,

Some posts in this thread have been moved to a private forum for analysis. At first glance, it can be clearly notice that this thread have been miles off-topic :/

Now, let's kindly stick to the initial topic please.

Regards

thats a very good thing about jordan..the crime rate is zero...but you do hear of crazy stories some times about some one shooting his sister or something..but honestly its a very safe place..i think thats the only good thing i can say about jordan

♥ ♫ ♣ ☀ wrote:
caised wrote:

hahahaha, spoken as a true Jordanian.. tried any MANSAF yet ?

Haha....Ive been eating mensaf since I was in the crib :)

My apartment was robbed last year during the holy month of Ramadan, and everything (books, electronics, jewelry, irreplaceable things) was stolen. The house was destroyed, broken plates, smashed windows, etc. I was informed by the police that burglaries are becoming much more common, especially targeting foreigners. Although I live a modest lifestyle and was only gone for an hour, someone must have been watching to see exactly when I come and go from my house.

Additionally, I have two friends that have been violently raped in Amman, once by a taxi driver and once by a janitor in her company at night. Both times, they faced a lot of challenges from the police (questions such as "why were you out of the house late at night?") and the perpetrators were never brought to justice.

These are two considerations for you when it comes to safety in Amman. I hope that you do stay safe and all is well during your time here. Inshallah khair!

ohmy god i hope they are fine. I thought it was just me but I had such a difficult time with the police when i filed a report! Ladies please be careful with taxi drivers, take their information license number and everythign you can! make sure you k now where you are. I will not give details of what happened to me but I went to the police station in Marka i think MArka shomaliya. There they talked to me. wanted me to tell what happened in Arabic when i said i didnt speak enbough to do so.
They said they would take me to the family court/station and have a woman talk to me and a translater, however i was given a male translater who was weak in English and told me that he spoke better chinese or soemthing than english
They did not havea femal officer there.
They asked me if i said NO and actually meant yes.
they asked me what  I was wearing and if it was something like i wore that day with my boobs popping out ( I wore a tank tonp covered my chest with a scarf)
They had me look at pictures and asked me how i could nto remember if they man tried to kiss me (as i liked it)
They made me feel like it was my fault
They also said I looked like Iraqi/kurd/Iranian and that JOrdanians do not like these people, making it seem like it was expected for these people to be attacked in JOrdan

Finally I want to say is that maybe i do look like that and the people there were racists but its one case out of many. Be careful, use your common sense! and i hope you get honest police men to help you if anything happens ! god forbid!! AVOID the police station at MARKA. PLease stop saying jordan has 0 crime.. Lets get real. its not crime infested but crime does exist, look around people are starving, living in bad conditions, and there is sexual harassment WORDS c ount as well.

Hi there, I have been searching good or bad things about Amman Jordan and got a chance to see few posts on crime in Jordan. We are soon moving to Amman due to my hubby's job there. I am very much interested to know all good and bad about living in Jordan. Challenges including kids education and placed to visit and all. I will appreciate if some one guide me.

The same thing Happened to me too,My House robbed last year and all Precious stuffs missing,and no further action is taken and i'm sure the Crook is somewhere around and looking for another Victim....

In General, Amman is very safe, but I recommend that you stick with the the Western side of the City. It's high scale and safer.

I spent last two years in Jordan and felt totally comfortable whereever I went, but as with any place you need to use common sense and pay attention to your surroundings.  Evil can pop up anywhere!

My husband is from Amman. In Sahab. But we are living in Dubai. And he said crimes happens in Jordan everyday. Drugs, rape, murder. It happens as evils are everywhere. Even in the holiest place criminals will have an intention to do crimes. For me, individuals must take our own responsibility to keep us safe. Things could go wrong anywhere. So always be careful especially if you are a woman.

When people say it's 100 or 95% save I don't know where they get these figures from? If one did not experience any negative cases then he/she should say so, but not 100% save! If you go to the police they would never tell one its 100% , so where from do certain smarty pants get these figures? Do they have eyes all around the country at the same time, getting daily updated police reports?

taxi drivers are the biggest crooks in Amman.

I've never NOT felt safe in Jordan. And, my windows sometimes rattle from my close proximity to Syria! Driving is the most dangerous. What saves most injuries, is that there is so much traffic, mostly only "fender benders". The worst accidents occur on the open road / highway.

If you are foreign, many people are anxious to make a few bucks off you. You just need to shop around, and know your prices. Before going anywhere with a taxi, ask for the fee amount upfront (unless they have a meter).

Jordan in generally is safe, what happened in the streets daily could be happened in any area or rich country in the world...

here some experiences:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 66#2752709

Correct. You shouldn't be blame for others crime. But you should take extra precautions in the future. May God bless u.

Amman is one of the safest cities in the meddle east, you can go any place you want any time you want
Foreigners are so welcome in Amman

I am really shocked to read some of the reviews. I live in Jordan since 2 years, and I can tell that I always felt safer than any European capital, as a women I can go outside at anytime of night. Now come on people ! use your common sense, when I hear people talking about marka and such places what the hell you go doing there alone ? in any poor area around the world you can get harassed and also, this is an Arab country with a muslim majority and even christians here are conservative, so try do dress and behave modestly as a way of respecting the local culture . You canno't guarantee that 100% of people are angles, so try not to attract troubles to yourself. Amman is just fine ...

I have lived here nearly two years as well and I don't feel it is unsafe.  Of course I don't ever go anywhere much alone.  As a woman you might hear some inappropriate comments and stares sometimes, but it's mostly just annoying rather than threatening. I have pretty much zero worry staying alone at my house or anything like that.  Like anywhere just know your surroundings and it's always better to go somewhere with a friend anyways!

The default position in any society is the dominant race. If you're white and a woman, then there will be a significant number of Arab men, maybe even in your own family, let alone strangers on the street, who automatically regard you as a whore, and therefore fair game to prey on. It's just one reality of being part of a minority race.