Anyone in Fortaleza

Hey.. Anyone in Fortaleza?  I am here for a couple of months on a trial basis. Let me know if any expats around..

Regards

Kaltrina

Hi Kaltrinia,
Not too much expats in Forteleza. Generally all are in mixt couple and are there for years so there not anymore "expats". Actually there is not any company which could offer "expat contract" in Fortaleza (I am currious which company offered a job here. A NGO?) All expats here created their businesses. A lot of restaurants and pousadas owners. Not that much in Fortaleza actually but on the Ceara coast. Expats from Italy, Spain, France, Portugal (not much actually), Germans, Netherland  and Scandinavia. No much British. Certainly much more on the Ceara coast, doing their dream job: kitesurf teacher for a few hundreds reals a months.
"Tenho saudade da City e Balham"...I am londoner too, a little.
Welcome in Fortaleza

How is Fortaleza so far? :)

Go to Recife, it's beautiful as well!!

Hi,

Thank you for replying, yes I have realised that.. not much here. My company has a base here in Fortaleza. You lived in Balham, London?

Thank You

Kaltrina

Hi Katrina,

I'm from Rio and have a place in Fortaleza for 17 years already. In the meantime, I lived abroad for almost 6 years and since my return back in 2013 I was expecting to meet expats to keep the connection with foreign people, etc. Even if so happens, I have no idea where larger groups of expats eventually meet (events like lunch, dinner, beer, etc). Seems like this blog is quite helpful on daily issues (see also...), but we had no time or focus to develop a solid community. I also checked the MeetUp website and the only available group is called 'Poliglotas' who meet every couple of weeks. It's a language-learning oriented group, but I could not identify any expat among them (but mostly brazilians like me). Anyway, if you feel bored by hanging around only with with people from work, let us know here. Who knows what may happen if we setup something?

Welcome to Fortaleza!! The city is adorable and I hope you're having a good time!

Hi Kaltrina,
Yes I lived in Balham and worked in the City.
There is no an "expat community" in Fortaleza. As I explained earlier, foreigners are general in mixt couple and don't feel the need to meet other oreigners. Then all new arrivants are scrutunized by people (Brasílians and foreigners) before being accepted. Certainly for security reasons but also you need to be part of the "club". Foreigners are considered to be in middle/high class and work, go out in same places and frequent same sport clubs. Fortaleza is a big city but it feels "provincial" for me. After 4 years in Fortaleza, I start to meet people I know in all places where I go...never happen to me in Paris or London.
Only proper "expat community" is South Korean", a bit outside Fortaleza; working on the new port and industry project of Pecém.
I went to the "clube poliglota Fortaleza", you can find the group on Facebook. As said Roalmeida, there are not much foreigners. I went a few times to keep practizing english, speak french and meet some people. If you a native english or speak good englih, you will be the star of the day. There is also an " english speaking club Fortaleza". Same thing, Brasiliana certainly woukd benefit more of it but very nice too.
Last thing,keep basic security mesure as written by James on the top of this forum. The best areas seem safe in Fortaleza but it would be really naïve to think they are really safe. I have been assaulted 4 weeks ago...Writting this post in the physio waiting room where I am doing re-education for my broken wrist....