Information about Tamarin for new expats please

Hi everyone,

My French husband, French/English daughters (age nearly 9 and nearly 3) and English me are moving to Tamarin at the end of October. We are a bilingual and bicultural family, having lived in France and London.

We have got a place at Telfair primary school for our eldest daughter and a place at Tiny Tots for our youngest, but neither of those will start until January 2016. So I have some questions if anyone can help:

* Can anyone recommend places to entertain kids and meet other families between November and January? (We are very sociable and friendly!) Any activities I should know about or places to go so we don't all go crazy waiting for school to start?!
* We will be moving to Tamarin, can anyone recommend areas that are good to live in or ones to avoid? Especially near to Telfair and Tiny Tots.
* Does anyone have children at Telfair or Tiny Tots?

Thanks everyone - we look forward to joining you all in Mauritius very soon :-)
Sophie

Firstly congratulations on the move to Ile Maurice!

You have plenty of time before the children go to school, so some things to do (in no order of importance, most have FB pages or can be browsed) is Casela Nature Park, La Vanille Reserve, Cavalia Pony Club, flic en flac beach, la preneuse beach, Pamemousse Botanical Gardens, L'Adventure Du Sucre, Riverland Sports Club has lots for your 9 year old, not so much for your 3yo.. Aquarium, curious corner of chamarel will be good fun, 7 colored earths (also in chamarel), if in your budget, hotels offer local residents cheaper rates for overnight stays and day stays. Gros Cailloux, there are some touristy plantation houses like Eureka Maison, Labourdinnais house, st aubin.... Rochester waterfall, bagatelle mall if you're hot, don't spend too much time at Caudan Waterfront. I could keep going :)

Around Tamarin, you can live around communities such as Domaine De Mont Calme, or around Black Rock, further south of Taamrin you can live in communities around La Plantation Marguery, or independently you can live close to the beach, or further up the hills.

My boy is 4 yo and is at Tiny Tots. A nice school, the classes are either French or English and learning is often blended. Ratios of teachers and helpers to kids is quite good. It appears a little small from a space point of view, but they use the space well.. My boy loves it lots of activities..Not to stray you from your decision, but did you look at a school called Paul et Virginie?

Hope some of the info helps, I haven't really scratched the surface!

Thank you so much for this really helpful answer!

That's really great re activities - do you know if there are any kids clubs or holiday activities for either age kids? I'm a bit worried they may be sick of their parents (and vice versa!) with so much time without other kids!!

Do you have anything to say re the communities either for or against? We have lived in all sorts of places - apartments, houses, gated community, cities, villages etc and are quite open, but don't really know the pros and cons of community vs independent living in Tamarin. Any tips or your opinion? (We really like to mix with our neighbours, and some of our best friends are former neighbours.)

Thanks for your view on Tiny Tots, that sounds great for our youngest. We did look at Ecole Paul et Virginie, but having had our eldest in the French system in France and then in the British system in the UK, we have decided we would rather go with the British system. However I am curious to know why you asked.....in case there is something I have missed!

Thank so much again, that is all really helpful!

Hi,

In terms of gated community versus independent we ended up choosing gated community. It had nothing to do with security (gated here isn't like gated in SA, for example) we were in an independent house when we first moved here and felt quite isolated in Flic en Flac. We know lots of people inside our residential community, but just as many out of it also.

Someone else may have to revert back on the holiday programmes but inside and outside schools; my children are only 4 and 2. Most schools run a revised holiday schedule, include Tiny Tots, but on skeleton staff.

I forgot to add the choice of sailing, fishing, kitesurfing and catamaran companies in the West on the original post, my children although young, love the catamarans. Good all year around.

Thank you so much again, that is all really helpful :-)

Hello, in relation to accommodation in Tamarin, I would bear in mind the weather. It gets very hot there; I'd say it's one of the hottest places on the island, and so in summer that's pretty hot. I'd look for somewhere with good natural shade and ventilation or make sure you have air conditioning. Best of luck.

Thanks! Having lived on the French Riviera for 12 years, including in the heat of the city centre of Nice we decided that air conditioning would be on the top of our list ;-)

Hi and Welcome,
Tamarin in Black River is a good place for Expats especially with children, there is always some activity going on somewhere for children or get togethers with other mums.

Your life here with the children will be spent 95% of the time outside, at home or on the beach, your weekends will also be the same.

It is a very friendly place not just with the expats but the local people are very friendly and welcoming too.

And yes this part of the Island is supposed to be the hottest and with less wind than say the East Coast, but our homes are prepared for it with Air Con and shaded outside terraces.

Air Con yes priority, also maybe a pool and good sized outside entertaining space.

Most mums drive their kids to school or use the school buses - up to you, but nothing is too far away on this Island :)

Regarding Gated Communities, for safety wise there is no reason to live in one of these, the Island is one of the Safest in the World with mainly Petty crime. Lots of people live outside of these and live within Residential area's that contain a mixture of Expats and Locals. I heard that the Government is maybe thinking of stopping any new Gated Communities being built - I think they were built originally for the South African Expats, most of our friends are from SA and they have told us they would not consider living anywhere else as this is what they have been used too although quite a few have now moved out and have said they love it that you can leave your windows and doors open during the daytime while you are at home :)  It really is a case of living where you would prefer too - Personal Safety is not an issue here.

Good luck :)

There are several 'children' play areas at the shopping malls such as Cascavelle and Trianon and Tamarin. Very often children as usual will mix with other children and the parents get to meet each other as a result of this.
One thing close on the west coast at Black river is the national park which has several walks from the park centre the road at the end of Black River gets you there.  One thing is that the walks are very much in the shade of trees especially on a hot day and can make a contrast from being on the BEACH

Thank you so much lesjar and Rosiewestie, this is all very helpful and exciting :-) We can't wait to get there!

HI Sophie,

We are a Belgian couple with an almost 3 year old child and moved from South Africa to Mauritius 2 months ago.
We are also staying in Tamarin and really likes it here as you have everything (shops, restaurants, schools, beach etc)
My daughter is also at Tiny Tots and absolutely loves it there.
You really don't have to live in a gated community here as it is absolutely safe.
Regarding activities for your children you can also have a look at Tamarin Arts Center. They do organize creative activities for children.
My daughter absolutely loves the beach and could stay there the whole day ;-)
Cavalia also organizes a lot of pony activities but only takes children from 3 years old.

Once you are here we could organize play dates with our daughters ;-)

Good luck with the move!

Sophie

Hi Sophie,

I moved here with my Mauritian husband early last year having lived in the UK and Paris. We don't have chilldren but concerning your questions about places to live, we are in La Mivoie which is the part of Tamarin closest to La Preneuse beach. We don't have the beautiful view we would have if we lived higher up the mountain, but it's very convenient for walking to shops, beach etc. Where you live here will depend a lot on your budget; houses in gated residences tend to be huge and more expensive than the other houses.

Thank you for the recent messages - I'm about to go on holiday so will look at this in a couple of weeks :-)

Hi Foifke80,

Thank you so much for your message, it was very helpful, and I would love a playdate with our nearly 3 year olds once we arrive :-) We are arriving the 31st October, although we may be in Black River or Flic en Flac for the first few weeks in holiday rental, just while we look for our long-term rental. How did you manage your accommodation when you first moved out?

I look forward to meeting you in Mauritius soon!
Sophie

Hi anthollis,

Thanks for your message - any tips on places to avoid in Tamarin? For whatever reason.... Also how did you find your accommodation? We are currently looking at places on lexpressproperty.com, any other tips?

Our budget is up to a maximum of 40,000 Rs. per month and we are looking for a 4 or 5 bedroom house, with air conditioning, a pool and hopefully not too far from Telfair and Tiny Tots! We hope that is feasible.

Thanks again for your help,
Sophie

Hi Sophie,

My husband visited a few places before my daughter and I arrived. He took contact with an agent he found on lexpressproperty. Perhaps it will be easier once you re on site. I think the properties are a bit more expensive Tamarin and Blackriver side then Flic en Flac?
Yes would be nice to meet you and the little one!
Cheers,
Sophie (Foifke 80)

We found our house on lexpressproperty through an agency called Status Mark. I'd also recommend joining some Facebook groups, there's one called west coast property. I don't think there's really anywhere in Tamarin to avoid.

Hi Sophie (Foifke 80),

I'm getting the impression that places are more expensive in Tamarin than Flic en Flac - I wonder why.....

I think we'll need to go down the holiday rental route for the first month then hunt for somewhere more long term once we arrive.

Thanks again!
Sophie

That's really helpful, thanks anthills - I've just asked to join that group now.

Hi This is Ronel and we have moved here from South Africa within the last month. We used a agent from Parklane properties. Her name is Joelle and her no is 52577075  - email joelle at parklane.mu.

I was in the estate industry in South Africa and must confess she is very professional. She would easily help you find a property and give you info regarding  schools and children activities. She was honest and listened to our needs.

I have been house hunting for 6 months before coming to Mauritius and she was the only agent who returned my calls and mails considering I sent mails to approximately 10 agents while house hunting.

Joelle does not rush you either. She showed us houses in various price ranges and areas and left us to decide which is best according to our needs.

You could try to rent a property directly from owners but I would not advise it. If you knew the areas well perhaps then. Otherwise stick to an agent as they will assist you if owners of property to not keep to contract principals eg. repairs, maintenance etc.

Tamarin is a great area to live in and the people are very friendly. There are various shops in the area where you will find all your basic groceries.

We stayed in Flic en Flac for a week while house hunting, but it is not an area to stay in if you are planning to stay long-term. Lots of foreigners who come and go. Children will have more stability in Tamarin. We did not like Flic and Flac as a family. It is very tourist orientated. Flic en Flac has a Spar and Cascavelle shopping centre, but Tamarin has Shoprite, Londay Way, Food Lovers Market and much more.

Flic en Flac is very touristy with lots of hotels on the beach and a lot of holiday rentals. However, its a cul de sac; there's one road in and out of the place so is often busy. There's also a limited choice of supermarkets etc. tamarin on the other hand, is on a main road. It has 2 main supermarkets and a couple of smaller food shops, as well as banks, restaurants, petrol station....it may be more expensive but I think it's definitely worth the extra.

Hi Ronel,

That is so helpful, thank you very much, I have just emailed Joelle.

Sophie

Thank you anthills - I got the impression that Flic en Flac was more touristy and Tamarin more families / longer stay, so this is a relief to know :-)