Women in Lagos- Victoria Island

HI:
I am looking to move to Victoria Island Lagos, and I would like to know the level of safety for women living in the area?
Also, do you recommend me hiring a driver upon my arrival?

kiyahlee,
the level of safety is quite good. the only time i have felt unsafe in the last month is on the roads, as any fast lane changing etc sparks a lot of road rage in all my company drivers. You don't want to be in the drivers seat in a fender bender in lagos, so everyone uses a driver and you should also use one. Plus the road fines have increased so the best option is if your company provides a car and a driver.
Amit

Hi Kiya

Welcome to Lagos,

VI is one of the best place to live in lagos, not much issues  in relation to the safety as such. Till you follow the basic life styles and  do not explore the city too much.

Ofcourse driving in Lagos is a tedious job, so it is always better to hire a driver. Incase of any issue please feel free to write me at [email protected]

(moderated: off topic)

Hi Kiyahlee,
I am from South Africa and have been living in Lagos for a year. It is not safe for a lady to be around Nigeria alone especialy at night. I would advise you to have company when you go out. There are very few hospitals and emergency services like ambulances are not reliable. If you go out and get hurt, it would be better if you have someone who would take care of you and fight for your survival. I locals don't care about their own people and even less about foreigners. You must employ a driver and bets is to get a driver from a reference of another expats driver. Very few people in Nigeria have a valid legitimate license and you will have a lot of problems with insurance claims if your vehicle is involved in an accident if the driver;s license is false.

Hope this info helps.

Chris

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Hi,
I would advise you to get a driver, not just from a safety point of view but Lagos is a sprawling city that can be difficult to navigate around. 

Lagos has a bad reputation (perhaps unfairly) and like any big city you have to be sensible when it comes to going out, especially at night. The city does have a lot to offer so don't let it's reputation put you off.

Sarah

Yur fears will rest when u had arrived, a little cautions is applied will make u stay in lagos lovely and pleasant. Yu are welcome in advance.

Hi,
have u moved to Lagos? what's yur experience been safety-wise

Hi, how r U?

I can guide you lil bit as am based in ABUJA but i been lagos for two three times. Some area of LAGOS are safe but you can't move freely like in ABUJA and some areas are very serious so, hope your company give u safe and sound accomodation in secured area.

TC and Have a nice flight..
[email protected] for more detail and info..

Hi,

I'm Tinuke.  Victoria Island (VI) is relatively safe.  You would need a driver as you are new to the environ but ensure your work or friend finds you one.  Someone they can vouch for.

I live on the Island so gis-a-holla if you need to talk. 

Cheers

Yeah! Victoria island is exceptionally ok for you to reside in. You will surely love it there.

[Moderated: off topic]

You her well come to ,let me say something on concise on victorial island is a well place to live for human security is well ok in the axis

[Moderated: no free ads]

Hi sunday adebayo,

Please note that this thread is a bit old :)

Feel free to participate and share your information on the Lagos Forum please :)

Thank you

Maximilien

hi amit

this is rishi from mauritius , coming to lagos victoria island where we gonna have west africa roadshow minsters from mauritius and nigeria. the exhibition gonna held for two days in eko hotels & suits. do u know the palce is it ok there...

regards

rishi

Hello,

Victoria Island(popularly known as VI) is VERY safe for women in general. VI is where most of the Embassies in Nigeria are located so the level of safety is high, we have the police, air force, navy and army all operating there................as for a driver, I wont advise you get one yourself upon arrival. its best to go thru an agency or your company.

VI is super safe and costly to live in.................but very safe........take care

Hi aries04

Maximilien wrote:

Hi sunday adebayo,

Please note that this thread is a bit old :)

Feel free to participate and share your information on the Lagos Forum please :)

Thank you

Maximilien

:)

Hello, I am also considering a job offer on Victoria Island, and wanted to get a sense of life on the island. Are stores, restaurants,etc, within walking distance? I have read many of the posts regarding safety. My take on safety is that, something bad can happen anywhere, but I wanted to get a pulse with regards to everyone's level of comfort. I look forward to hearing from the group..

You are right on any place can be bad.
It takes a few months to stand up to the locals and you will get injuries if you take it too far.
Essentially as an ex pat you will find it more polite than Boston. Though less sensible.
Biggest hassle comes from police until you learn to deal with them well.
If you practice the lingo a little beforehand and keep smiling or looking angry (never scared) you will get by.

Thanks for your response. I am looking forward to it.

There are some good hotel,restaurant,club,beach and hospital in V.I and V.I is 1 of the best area you can live in Nigeria because most of Nigeria Billionaire, Politician and Big company are there.
you can send me a mail on thekingaruku at yahoo dot com for more info........Cheers!

Hi I live here  in Lagos ( 2 years now ) and we can skype if you have any questions , write me an email at [email protected] and I ll help as I can , Michelle

victoria island is very safe! 95 percent, u have d police and military move around ,its safe

stores, malls, and every other place is located close by< trackable

Hi , I guess you didn't realize this thread is quite old??

I m still in Lagos and can help ...

Despite the challenges I drove around Lagos daily to give my driver a break.
Women are notoriously bad employers for drivers. Unfair and demanding.
I got arrested twice.
Many drive drunk though it is illegal.
Driving is not more hectic than other big cities and you adapt.
Police are thieves.
Locals will respect you car and your wishes if you offer to pay money.
Always carry money about $100 worth hidden in the car.
Get a drivers licence at a cost of between $5k and $10k.
Get 2 drivers and engage each for 50 hours a week and pay Naira 75,000 + 25, 000 tips per month, each.

Lol Hi Les Pat i find it so interesting when you said police are thieves you have to carry so much money in your car well that's not good at all. i don't know how much drivers are paid but it all depends on what negotiation you have with your driver. and as for the police i do agree and want more only if you encourage it so sorry about your experience.