A GERMAN GIRL IN PUERTO RICO

Hello, I am new here and wanted to introduce myself. We (husband, 14 y/o daughter, 3 dogs, 2 cats, 1 horse) live in Mayagüez. I am German, my husband Puertorican.
I love animals and I adopted some from the streets.  :top:

P.S

Sorry, just saw I postet in the wrong spot !😉😁

Greetings Marion-Olga. That's funny. My wife was born in Mayaguez and I am of German descent. We rescued dogs while we lived there several years ago. We kept one and brought her back to the states with us. We also helped send about 20 of them to the states where they all got adopted. I hope you and your family enjoy Mayaguez and are able to thrive there. Best of luck to you all.

Welcome to the forum and to PR!  How long have you lived in PR?  We all love to hear of experiences of Puerto Rico life.

Your name is not Marita, is it?

Oh woww, you are such good people!! Do you still rescue dogs? There might be some strays in Florida too!?
I don't like Mayagüez too much  ;)  but we have family here and jobs and a nice house and that makes it ok.
Do you speak a little German and where in Germany is your mom (or dad) from?
Have a great day!  :)

Nope, It's Marion.  :D

Thank you!  :D
It will be 8 years in November. I could never imagine that life here would be that different from the life I lived in Germany.

I wanted excitement and that's what I got here, but not always in a positive way.
Got to go to work now, but I will be back!
Have a wonderfull day!

I would imagine life in PR is quite different than Germany.  Happy you found this site and can contribute, as well!  Have a great day :)

Too bad you don't like Mayaguez. It takes a bit of getting used to, but there are some very nice areas there.I like the Plaza. They have some good pizza places and if you get the chance go to Gonzalez Seafood Restaurant. It's right on the water. I'm not a big fan of mofungo but they have a mofungo with chirrasco and mushroom sauce that i love. I'm from central PA in Amish country. Just about everyone there is of German descent. I don't speak German. For some reason nobody spoke it when I was growing up. Both sets of my great grand parents came over from Germany. My great grandfather was a woodcarver and cabinet maker. I made a living for awhile as a woodcarver. I don't know much about my background except that my great grandfather came over here from Frankfurt when he was 9. So he came here in 1879. I'm told by people that are from there that I resemble the people from the Alps area. Just be patient and  and give it time. Just understand that Puerto Rico and Germany are essentially two different universes. Adjust your expectations of how you think people should act and the way things are done. Your husband should be able to help you with that. I personally wasn't able to adjust to the culture and that's the reason I'm no longer there. I don't participate directly with animal rescue here. There are so many rescue organizations and it seems that everyone I meet with a dog owns a rescue. I'll suggest to you like I've done on here many times before, carry a bad of dog food and some water in your car and feed a stray when you can. You can't save them all but you can at least offer a little kindness.

Marion-Olga wrote:

Do you speak a little German and where in Germany is your mom (or dad) from?

I know this wasn't directed at me but I'm still fluent in German although I have a terrible "Rudi Carrell Akzent". Then again I heard from many women in Germany that they like my accent. :)