Horses

Does anyone on this forum have experience with horses in Puerto Rico? Owning, riding, friends there with horses, etc..
I'm just trying to get a better feel for the horse situation in Puerto Rico.
I lease a horse here in Minnesota and wondering how easy it would be to find a horse to ride there and for a reasonable price.

Really can't tell you much about horses I can say along route 3 in Luquillo I see horseback riding offered and I see stables . I don't know if that's helpful but I tried

In the Rincon areas a bunch of people ride - and I'm not talking about Paso Fino Gait (numerous people do that, sometimes I see a whole family of 10 people out trotting). Go to Facebook, look up Cynthia Calvin (lives in Rincon) and message her - she is a horse fanatic and probably knows a lot about horses and horse riding in PR.

Horses are all over the island...people even ride them down the street. Also there are a lot of Stray Horses just wandering around the island. You can find boarding stables even in the Metro area in San Juan. You definitely should not have a problem finding a horse to ride!

If you want something fancy, try a "Paso Fino" trained horse. You may like them.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paso_Fino

ReyP wrote:

If you want something fancy, try a "Paso Fino" trained horse. You may like them.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paso_Fino

I've grown up with quarter horses, but I am intrigued by Paso Finos! Their gait looks really neat and fun. I would love to try riding one.

victorlglass wrote:

In the Rincon areas a bunch of people ride - and I'm not talking about Paso Fino Gait (numerous people do that, sometimes I see a whole family of 10 people out trotting). Go to Facebook, look up Cynthia Calvin (lives in Rincon) and message her - she is a horse fanatic and probably knows a lot about horses and horse riding in PR.

Thank you! I sent her a friend request and sent her a message - hopefully she'll notice :)

Don't know where you will end up landing here in PR, but if it is on the east coast near me, there is an equestrian center here in Palmas del Mar.  There is a horse show this Saturday the 29th.  Also, near where I lived in Arroyo on the south coast, I often saw horses on the beach and there is a nearby stable that a friend of mine checked out, just in case he brought his horses to PR.  All in all, it is more common for the common man to own horses here.  Paso Finos are the standard breed. They were originally from Spain and share the same ancestor named Dulce Suenos, which I hope you have tonight (it means Sweet Dreams).
Frogrock

frogrock wrote:

There is a horse show this Saturday the 29th.  Frogrock

Frogrock, If you get a moment, let us know about the Horse Show.  We'd love to go.  Haven't seen anything about it anywhere.

Look at this page on Facebook: Palmas Ecuestre "Dressage"

Thanks!

is there a stable close to Aguadilla? I would like to horse riding on a regular base.. I just found http://www.tropicaltrailrides.com/ and that is not really what I am looking for!

Pfirsich wrote:

is there a stable close to Aguadilla? I would like to horse riding on a regular base.. I just found http://www.tropicaltrailrides.com/ and that is not really what I am looking for!

I am wondering too for the future. There is Pintos R US in Rincon which is a trail ride type place from what I can see online. I did contact Cynthia, per someone's advice in post above, and she lives in Rincon and is involved in animal rescue and specifically a horse rescue program. It sounds like there aren't any actual stables near the area. I too could only come up with Tropical Trail Rides and then Pintos R US based on online searches. I figure once I move down there I will perhaps volunteer and get involved with the horse rescue. Here in Minnesota, I lease a horse but it doesn't sound like there are similar opportunities in Puerto Rico. If it doesn't prove too expensive perhaps I can get a horse or 2 to keep at home..if I find a property large enough. Who knows...

It's a pity there are no stables in the area. I asked Tropical Trail rides if they could provide me with more information but they never answered me..
If I should know more I will let you know ;)

Pfirsich wrote:

It's a pity there are no stables in the area. I asked Tropical Trail rides if they could provide me with more information but they never answered me..
If I should know more I will let you know ;)

I emailed them like 2 months ago and they never emailed me back. Perhaps I should have called instead. Leme know if u find out anything.

We own a horse since almost 8 years. We have her in our garden around the house, she is like a big dog. We live close to the beach in Mayagüez and that's where we ride her. Having a horse in the backyard is cheap and the horse would be really happy to get a good home, since a lot horses don't have a good home here.

Marion-Olga wrote:

We own a horse since almost 8 years. We have her in our garden around the house, she is like a big dog. We live close to the beach in Mayagüez and that's where we ride her. Having a horse in the backyard is cheap and the horse would be really happy to get a good home, since a lot horses don't have a good home here.

Once I move in I will have space for a horse, but probably will not get one if they are like dogs, mines jump on me, and sit on my lap, can you imagine how flat I would be if the horse sits on my lap?

Hahaha you are so funny!  :lol:
She is like a horse because follows me everywhere I go, comes running when I come home and comes when you call her name.
She would love to live in the house with us and made it on the balcony twice.
But she doesn't jump on my lap!  :D

on my first drive up the narrow mountain road on a dark Saturday night I encountered literally hundreds of people riding horses bareback on the road. I spent years in Texas and never saw that. It was raining a little and it was very hard to see the riders. I was reminded of the Amish back home, who always had a triangle reflector on the back of their buggy. I don't know where you would stick one of those on a horse, but If I were riding I would wear a reflective vest or something.
I think it is great! Just slow down and be wary of them. It is quite acceptable. The drivers all patiently slow and wait. watch for a horse being skittish. I may even get myself a horse, but not ride bareback. I could not stay on without at least stirrups..

You can only ride on the streets and public beaches here so most of the people ride their horses in the streets to ride from one pub to another to get drunk. Riding a horse drunken in the night without reflectors is dangerous for everyone and it should not be allowed!