Life is all about happness

Look at the trees, look at the birds, look at the clouds, look at the stars… Everything is simply happy. Trees are happy for no reason; they are not going to become presidents and they are not going to become rich. It is simply unbelievable how happy flowers are.

Hello Rtodd and welcome to the forum of Expat.com :)

Since your post had nothing to do with the Netherlands forum where you initially posted, please note that your thread has been moved to a more open forum Expat Cafe - Open discussions.

Forums are countries are meant to exchange information about expatriation from expatriates and to be expatriates.

Please feel free to create other threads and to introduce yourself to the Expat community.

Regards
Kenjee

I like happy,

I don't think trees and flowers have anything resembling feelings, thus cannot actually be happy or sad.

Trees, flowers, clouds, planets, stars etc help a person to be happy or sad.
They have no feelings at all.

beppi wrote:

I don't think trees and flowers have anything resembling feelings, thus cannot actually be happy or sad.

Well, I don't know, Beppi - and Stumpy. Some plants can get very cranky if you don't respect them. We have a bougainvillea beside our carport that goes out of its way to stick a thorn in me when I try to brush past without a greeting. I feel a bit silly talking to it, but if that's what it takes to get by safely - well, anything to keep the peace, I say.

I knew a really cranky rose bush.

Gordon Barlow wrote:
beppi wrote:

Well, I don't know, Beppi - and Stumpy. Some plants can get very cranky if you don't respect them. We have a bougainvillea beside our carport that goes out of its way to stick a thorn in me when I try to brush past without a greeting. I feel a bit silly talking to it, but if that's what it takes to get by safely - well, anything to keep the peace, I say.

Here's an interesting documentary on plants worth watching. In the Mind of Plants
It's an intriguing "root-brain" world of plants that surrounds us.... bit upside down for us, the humans, to fully understand and appreciate within our limited biological time-frame!

I believe in fairies...

senwl wrote:

Here's an interesting documentary on plants worth watching. In the Mind of Plants
It's an intriguing "root-brain" world of plants that surrounds us.... bit upside down for us, the humans, to fully understand and appreciate within our limited biological time-frame!

This from a column I wrote for a blogsite called Expat Focus:
http://www.expatfocus.com/c/aid=1592/co … n-islands/

[Our Poinciana tree] is a late bloomer, who doesn't drop her babies (seed-pods) until she's sure they'll be kept alive by the rains. Trees aren't always as stupid as they look.
My wife and I are both keen on trees. Our Jamaican gardener hates them, because they stop grass from growing. They won't let enough sun through, but we don't care. Trees good, grass bad, we reckon. Our front yard is mostly grass, with a few modest palm trees here and there. The lawn is brown in the dry season, and doesn't need to be mown more than once every couple of months.

We used to water it from the well; nobody likes the sight of a dead lawn. But now we let nature decide whether it should live or die. It comes alive and green again in the rain, having held its breath underground all the while. Grass isn't always as stupid as it looks, either. (Although it doesn't always have the sense not to grow where sheep graze. An intellectual blind-spot, I guess.)

Come on guys - stop spoiling a really nice happy moment by thinking about things.
Relax, enjoy the sun, and lay on the grass - or just smile.

Fred wrote:

Well, if it's all right with the grass... We don't want to hurt its feelings. Shall I have a word with it?

Life is too short to dwell on the negatives, just focus on what makes you happy and puts your mind at peace.

I have developed this habit of chilling at the balcon, watching the sunset. That yellow shade it creates looks so beautiful and I always wonder whether  the sun is going to sleep after torturing us the whole day.

And then the  Moon comes out of nowhere, by the way, Have you ever listened to the myths about that woman& baby stuck inside e moon.the image is  more evident within the Full moon.

Am not really a lover of animals but one time I witnessed 2 street cats hiding from a dog. Wherever it came from. The timid creatures hid under a car n kept peeping to see if it had disappeared and for the first time I was like ' Hide honeys, dont let the enemy catch you'.

Rtodd wrote:

Look at the trees, look at the birds, look at the clouds, look at the stars… Everything is simply happy. Trees are happy for no reason; they are not going to become presidents and they are not going to become rich. It is simply unbelievable how happy flowers are.

I doubt this happiness applies to Desert trees.eish with the bloody heat, scattered.they are more miserable than Cinderella's step sisters after the 'shoe fit saga'. Does pollination even occur?

Gordon Barlow wrote:
Fred wrote:

Well, if it's all right with the grass... We don't want to hurt its feelings. Shall I have a word with it?

Find out here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10dmK7O-KSY

Fred wrote:

Ah, they don't write TV shows like that any more! We were regular watchers in the 1970s when we lived in England, and irregular ones when we left there. A great half-hour's entertainment.

Rtodd wrote:

It is simply unbelievable how happy flowers are.

Absolutely! Flower Power, anyone? = )

Gordon Barlow wrote:
Fred wrote:

Ah, they don't write TV shows like that any more! We were regular watchers in the 1970s when we lived in England, and irregular ones when we left there. A great half-hour's entertainment.

Actually, they were probably total rubbish - but really great rubbish.
I have both series of flowery twats on a hard drive, a lot of "Yes minister" and several other classic moments.
Andy Hamilton made a sidesplittingly funny devil in the radio show, Old harry's game". I have the lot.
I have every Blackadder, even the special. Ball bouncingly funny.
I also have - don't pee in your underwear when you read this - every episode of doctor Who from 2005 series 1 to the end of series 8.

One of my favourite entertainments in the old country was listening to audio books.
As they weren't very popular, you could commonly get them from pound shops, or with massive discounts in book shops.
They're great when you happen to to totally physically zonked, but your brain is still working at normal capacity - and when you're driving.
That's how I still have Old Harry's game, but I have several others.
One of the best is "Barracuda 945", a political novel, and brilliant.
I won't go into the story because it covers very controversial issues, but it's worth a listen any day of the week.
Of course, if I really need to get a smile painted on my ugly face, I just watch 'Don't mess with the Zohan" or "Little Nicky".
Both are disasters as far as the clean underwear club are concerned.

Meet expats all over the world

OR