Spousal visa for Filipina wife to the United States

Hello. I would like to ask anyone who has actually gone through a spousal visa how long it takes AND did you avail yourself of the non-immigrant visa for your wife at the same time you sent in the spousal visa?

We have been married six years and consider the Philippines our home, but I am so bored that I want to do back to the US to work part time and do volunteer work.  I do not mind waiting any length of time for the spousal visa because we live here, but my wife wants to go to the US now and wants to go as soon as possible. She wants to get to work too.

So, question ONE, did you go through a spousal visa to the US

question TWO, if you filled the spousal visa to the US, did you also apply for the non-immigrant visa to get to the US soon and wait for the disposition of the spousal visa there???

Thank you all very much.

Don
Ormoc, Leyte

Did the spousal visa 20 years ago from the USA, it took 11 months.  Right after I applied I received a letter saying they would start the process in 6 months.  My wife in the Philippines had the additional problem of getting clearance from Hong Kong since she worked there more than two years.  She sent her fingerprints to Hong Kong and was informed 4 weeks later that they were smudged, please send another set.  I have  heard recently it has taken twice as long, about 20 months.  Getting a green card, SS# and state picture ID only took a few weeks after arrival .  You will have to show proof of support.

We did it march of 2013 and she got her visa may 2014.  Spousal visa takes a while.

However, since you live in PH woth your wife you can apply for through the US embassy in manila which will be faster as it skips some of the steps done in the usa.  I think its called a consular spousal visa.

Once you file a spousal thats entered in the national visa center database.  Of you file for a tourist visa they will know you have a pending immigrant visa and will deny any non immigrant visa from what i hear.

If you need more help theres visajourney.com
Also theres an fb page called asawa world that is filled with knowledgeable people that have gone thru the fiancee or spousal visa and are very helpful.

Two years ago I applied for Direct Counselor Filing (DCF) as I lived there for two years (6 months required).  It took me 21 days to get my wife a visa from the date I filed.  That is the fastest easiest way to go.

Tim Potter Texas

Moderated by Stéphanie 8 years ago
Reason : No link to your own blog on the forum please

Tim - I understand under certain circumstances the 6 months can be waved.  Any insight on that one?  Also what is my income requirement?  Thank you - Steve

I have no idea how or what is required to circumvent the 6 month requirement.  It seemed black and white and I have seen no exceptions to the rule.  You must be 125% above the property level based on each legal dependent you have.

timpotte wrote:

I have no idea how or what is required to circumvent the 6 month requirement.  It seemed black and white and I have seen no exceptions to the rule.  You must be 125% above the property level based on each legal dependent you have.

I think he means poverty level.