English speaking jobs.

MILDA KHURRAM wrote:

hello i am living in belgium2 years no way what u get job whith english,,,,only some were in titres servises u can if u doing that job,,,,more beter job no choise whith english

I don't want to offend you but with that level of written English your job prospects will indeed be very limited..
I think that unless someone has a specific skill set that is in demand over here the best thing to do is forget English speaking jobs as a long term solution and rather focus on learning one of the 2 main languages here (ie. Dutch (Flemish) or French)
Definitely take whatever employment you can get when available but my advice would be to focus on integration into the local society.

This advice stands for native English speakers also, unless you want to live your life in an Ex-Pat enclave where you eat British food,watch British TV and only do activities in English.
If that's the case then you will miss out on a wonderful cultural experience and in my opinion might as well just have stayed at home.
(Sorry for going off on a tangent there :D)

Im moving to Antwerp and was wondering what the process would be. I'm originally from the UK and have as Level 3 NVQ in Children's Care, Learning and Development.
I have worked for 17 years from newborn to young adults which include disasbilities. I'm obviously fluent in English and trying to learn Dutch but don't think it would be up to scratch for the working world just yet.

Few questions if your able to answer

What will I have to do to when I arrive?
Is there any English speaking jobs in the vicinity of Antwerpen?? Childcare or otherwise (restuarant\bar)(Will even consider nanny jobs to start) and I have posted in classifieds
Will I need to trade UK driving license or could I continue to use my UK one??
If I came over with just savings would that be a problem if I didn't get work straight away?

Any information or advice would be grateful or point in the right direction.

Thanks Sheree

yeah same 2 years just my babistting to get me by thankful i have lots of experince only other job i was offered was a cleaning lady and i speak a fair bit of dutch to

[moderated: please post your advert in the Brussels jobs section]

dear sir

i live in Belgium and i have 5 year visa i want to work
        any kind of i have 5 year experience fork lifter in Dubai a       also 6 month fork lifter job in japan and in Belgium i       
        work in quick for the cleaning kichin one year and 6 month
        fruit packing i have auto licence also

Hi rana hamad,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I suggest you to post an advert in the jobs in Brussels section.

Thank you and best of luck

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

thats good

Hasnaa where are you live and what you do thanks for the guide

Hi rana hamad,

Please note that Hasnaa is a member of the Expat.com team and she was there to guide you.

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Indeed well said. Well its possable but english speaking jobs are few and far between your best bet is a transfer with your company they are international school jobs but again very few cleaning jobs but thats about it really and sometimes the irish bars if ur lucky

Ive now been here 3 years also

Hi,

There is a chance for english speakers but most will be in a multinational companies. These companies are normally in big cities like Brussels. But it is wise to enrol for language course because in the normal working environment there will a demand to speak the native language.

I would advise to make a linkedin account and try to market yourself and maybe some headhunters will help.

Good luck!

I would not give people false expectations. Let's get real
Look at the internal issue this country has: Flemish people want the Walloons to speak Dutch and Walloons want the Flemish to speak French... a historical decadent situation..
Look at the Flemish, pretty hard they insist on you to speak Dutch - "je moet Nederlands praten!!!" (Almost forced) but they can not even understand each other, every corner you turn they speak "some dialect thing else"
I am a Computers Engineer and my Dutch levels are useless; I can express my self, read, understand Dutch, listen to the news, TV, radio and follow completely a conversation - of course in proper Dutch, NO DIALECT

Since March 2013 I am struggling to find a Job because in their Job offers mostly they require Native Dutch or French - I think this is sort of a social organized discrimination towards foreign

Anyways; decided to move to Brussels because there are more chances... now I bet they will ask me to speak French...

Basically, back to was told before, somehow in this country we are forced to live in the burble... Let's see what Brussels have to offer.
Suggestions are always welcome.
Cheers
Alex

Indeed very well said

Can I get a job in Belgium without speaking French, Dutch or Nederland's

Read above english jobs r few and far between.

yes of course, thera a lot of requests for peope speaking english, but it is easy to learn dutch there are so many free trainig courses..

Hi everyone!

My husband is moving to Brussels next week, I'm coming with my baby girl in January. In October I'm going to look for a job; I'm a professor of English language and literature and I was wondering can I find a job in any school without knowing French or Dutch? I mean I'm going to learn and brush them as much as possible but I'm really hoping that I can 'get away' with only English for my profession. :)

Are there any English teachers here? I would really like to connect with them.

Not in brussels but I heard international school or gent is looking for teachers might be worth a look. The communit might be a bit tricky with your daughter however.

https://www.britishschool.be/job-opport … ofEnglish/

I am moving to Belgium  early next year 2017, am married to a dutch girl and am from Africa. I would love to learn the Dutch language. could you advice. Thanks

I am an English instructor with more than 10 year teaching experience.

Linc Elensio wrote:

I am moving to Belgium  early next year 2017, am married to a dutch girl and am from Africa. I would love to learn the Dutch language. could you advice. Thanks

Hi Linc,

Welcome to the Forum. :)

The best way to learn is to speak it.  You'll make embarrassing, toe-curling mistakes and sometimes just wish you could die and think that if they're so clever, why can't they just learn your language (at least, that's how it was for me).  Then, one day, it will click, and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

So my advice, speak to your girlfriend in Dutch, she will laugh at you, then correct you and tell you your mistakes; she was taught by her mother, just as she'll teach your kids - she's the expert (and free).

Hope this helps.

Groetjes. :)

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the Jobs in Brussels section. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct