Life in oman

Hi There.

My husband has been offered a job in oman. it would be two weels on and 5 days off.  we are from south Africa. We have two little girls age 4 and 6. I am currently a full time working mom.i love what I do and have my own business. I have been informed that women are not so open to working in muscat? I am also very concerned about our girls and what life would be like for them with heat and activities and without grandparents and a whole new world. if I would want to bring my nanny with from Zimbabwe would that be a possibility?

I would appreciate any advice and help.
Thanking you

Once you get here, it will be a whole new experience. The first months might be hard but with time it will be a walk over. Your children will cope, atleast mummy and daddy will be there.children adjust quickly to a new setting unlike us adult. Oman is generally a free country that caters for people from different originalities.there are so many fun joints for kid and due to the heat, infrastructures are enclosed. Trust me there are so many wonders here despite e heat, .Once you get here you will see the difference.
There are so many women in job sectors here, may be few omani women perhaps its their wish but you shouldn't worry about it.

Am not sure if you if the family visa includes the nanny. May be your husband should make inquires but still you can apply for her visa as long as you are registered residents with an income of over 600 rials.

So many private and international schools here for your kids

You can always make inquires on this forumn, check through posts for different topics.you will feel at home

you can manage here all what u like when u join
in start need to set up nothing impossible here
in start u feel hard later can be adjust

Of course not.. I have a lot of women colleagues at work and some of them have business on the side.
With regards to the nanny, yes you may apply. But some rules and requirements you need to coordinate with an agency as well as with your respective embassy in muscat.
If you have your kids with you, better to be in the city as it is convenient for schools.
Best of luck!

Oman is one of the most libral places in the gulf.there aren"t so many don'ts like in other gulf countries. Women can freely move around alone nd dont hve to cover their heads.life is a bit slow in Oman. You can work if you get a job.howevet, u can't start a business unless you have an Omani to sponsor you. Your kidd can't enter public schools, bt there are lots of private schools-some are expensive others are not.there is one sri lankan school in wadi kabir which very good nd affordable. You can bring you maid easily but she will come under your sponsorship not company.i am from zimbabwe and i have worked in oman fo 8 yrs. Hope this will help

Oman is a beautiful country u will like it. I have been here for 4 about years now .. I work on a 28 Days On & 28 Off rotation schedule. On off days I am back in South Africa where I stay with my family. I am, however, from Zimbabwe so yes bring along our nanny sister of yours.... she will be ok here esp with the current $:ZAR exchange rate :):)