Getting married in Brazil

Can she request a Fiance's Visa on the U.S. with her parents consent?(if you have information about it)

I have been reading these post and not to discourage young love, The realities are that she might be in for an extreme culture shock living in Brazil. Although it sounds romantic to live here maybe she should try it some before she commits. Not much is shown on US television about the realities of life in Brazil, For instance there is no mention of the crime on US television about the instances of robberies and assaults on the street.  Visiting here for 90 days or 180 days on an extended tourist visa might be a good way for her to find out first hand the realities.  This would laso give her time to get a little older your advice William is sound as usual.

Johnc, by marrying a "brazilian girl", a lot of people are looking for a solution to escape from their country because of misery, war, or perscecution. So I believe for them Brazil is a relatively safe country. Actually the most difficult part (and dangerous) would be living with the "Brazilian girl" (and her family) but that's another story ;-)

Yes but she is a citizen of the US so she is not from one of those war torn countries looking for a safe place to move from. He is from Brazil not the other way around so I am saying she could be in for some culture shock moving from the US to Brazil. Not that it is all that bad I moved here from the US to be with my wife. It doesn't matter to me that I moved from the US to Brazil I am adjusting quite well.  But her being as young as she is, doesn't really know anything about the world in fact she probably still lives at home with her parents and probably it would be a double shock to her. Being married and living in Brazil.  On the other hand he could move to the US being married to an American citizen which might be the plan anyway.

I personally think that the culture shock is going to be much greater for her in many ways because she's a young woman.

First she's going to quickly find out that Brazilian men consider women merely as property. they don't respect or value them in the least. Brazilian women are abused and killed by their male partners more often than in almost any other country on earth and nothing gets done about it. That is going to become obvious quite quickly to her, and I'm sure be of great concern.

She's going to find that regardless of her level of education in the USA, women are very discriminated against in the workplace here in Brazil. Women earn only 75% of a male's salary when they do exactly the same job. That's certainly not going to sit well. Her employment options and thus her entire future here are going to be strictly limited. She may even end up feeling like she's a prisoner to boyfriend/husband being completely financially dependent upon him.

I think that the most difficult adaptation for a young woman is going to be trying to get used to a much lower standard of living than she grew up with. We older expats who come hear, for the most part, have a lifetime of wealth building behind us. We have savings, assets and pensions that we bring with us. Those usually are from countries with much stronger currency so we make even more. She is not going to have that and will be automatically thrown into the same situation as the average Brazilian young woman. Kiss goodbye the days spent at the mall shopping for clothes and makeup, kiss goodbye the snacks at fast-food joints in the mall with her girlfriends, looking around her at poverty in this country, etc.

I really don't give the relationship much of a chance at all if she ever does come here. Personally I think she'll change her mind long before that anyway, especially if anybody tells her about the REAL Brazil and she begins thinking with her head and not her young female hormones.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

Hello ,I have submitted all
My documents to Cartorio.After a long process My marriage day was given last friday.I will be officially married on 25 of January 2016.I have extended my stay here just once and i got another 3 months .My 6 months period will be over by 9 of January 2016.So I will be overstaying here for 16 days.The officials saw my passport and didn't bother with the future based overstaying issue.Well any ideas about that ? Will I  have to face some difficulties?I never applied for RNE before.Please also advise me how to get a work permit after marriage.Cheers .

Hello ,I have submitted all
My documents to Cartorio.After a long process My marriage day was given last friday.I will be officially married on 25 of January 2016.I have extended my stay here just once and i got another 3 months .My 6 months period will be over by 9 of January 2016.So I will be overstaying here for 16 days.The officials saw my passport and didn't bother with the future based overstaying issue.Well any ideas about that ? Will I  have to face some difficulties?I never applied for RNE before.Please also advise me how to get a work permit after marriage.Cheers .

No issues at all, the worst case scenario is that they Federal Police might ask you to pay the small overstay fine (R$8.28 per day) when you apply for permanency, but they are OBLIGATED to take your application regardless of the overstay. You'll have no problem obtaining the Carteira de Trabalho once you're married.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Hello James
I appreciate your replies.Finally I got married today in Montes Claros.We want to live in Belo Horizonte .Where am I supposed to go to obtain Cart. De Trabalho? Where should i start my permanent residency process? My wife has been pregnant for 3 months by now.She is Brazilian.One of my foreign friends advised me to start all the process on Brazilian Child .However I 'd prefer to follow your advice instead.Please advise me Which is easier?Should I start all my process based on marriage or Should I wait for my baby to be born?

Not true

I don't need to know you, but I know the system in Canada

You are being ignorant because you had a bad experience with the system. But I believe that the majority of people that have gone through the system would agree that your statement was incorrect on many levels.
If you don't want comments, don't make statements like that

Hi new to Brazil. My girlfriend and I are looking to get married. But having issues with the due process on this because I need to stay down because she's pregnant. We just waiting for documents from Canada but how do I go about getting a time extension for my visa till the documents come or what are next steps in this aspect

Anything helps. Thanks in advance. If anyone uses WhatsApp lemme know

Hi there welcome to a fellow Canadian. You have to to the federal police asap to extend. Go on the website for the federal police and see what's needed before you go there. You will need the application and, fee, etc

Hello all!

Has the Brazilian marriage process changed since the last 2013 post?  I am here in Brazil in the São Paulo Provence and next month we plan on applying for marriage. 

I hear legalize by your consulate's office, through these posts, but it is confusing.  Looking at the various government websites, Brazil is a member of The Hague Convention and The Convention abolished the Requirements of Legalization of Foreign Public Documents.  This prevents Brazil from legalizing other legal documents issued by a country which is party to The Hague Convention.  So the Apostille must be done by the authority of the state or national government in which the document was issued.  So Brazil will no longer legalize any foreign document issued by another country who is a member of The Hague Convention starting August 14, 2016.
http://novayork.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/ … cation.xml

In the US, the state department issues the Apostille for federally issued documents; ie. FBI Criminal Background Check and the Secretary of State Department of the individual 50 States is responsible for documents issued within the state, birth certificates, death certificates, divorce decrees from the court or certificate from the vital stats.

So I believe an Apostille document from the issuing authority of each document will suffice along with a certified Portuguese translation of the birth certificate and divorce decree, correct?

Crash

You are correct. Any translations to Portuguese has to be done by a certified translater which you do in Brazil.

Jim

Thanks Jim!

Hi

I have a question regarding marrying a Brazilian in Brazil.

I have got my Birth Certificate with my name with initial --> JOHN. M (name changed) issued in the year 2012 as I have gone through your posts you have said older certificates are not valid in Brazil.

So I applied for a Birth Certificate in the Indian consulate from Germany as I am living in Germany now. In Germany its a normal rule that first name is always followed by surname, so I got a new Birth Certificate with my name followed by my fathers JOHN MAX (name changed) stating I am son of Max born at XYZ City on 01.01.1900 (Example) and it is made according to the passport number 12345, in this certificate there is nowhere stating my mothers name.

My Passport looks as follows:

Given Name: John
Surname: Max

Does this issue will create some problem in the registry in Brazil.

Now I have 2 Officially issued birth certificate with following names:

1. John .M
2. john Max

and also as a third remedy I have the following document

casamentocivil_declaracao_filiacao_noivo, I have to get a stamp on this declaration in Indian Consulate in Brazil. I can create this Document on my own as per the names in Passport. If I present this declaration do I still need to get apostilled on it? I have asked the Indian Consulate in Sao Paulo they said this is more than enough to proceed with my marriage.

Could you recommend which would be the best solution in order to get through registry office in brazil without having problems?

Thanks in Advance for you help.

getting merriod is very simple,just understand each other if she agree then no  .

All of your documents as far as your name, dates of birth etc have to be the same. Your marriage certificate will also have to be apostilled.

jim

there is going to be alot more than just needing a passport, will face alot of bureaucracy  surrounding brasilian marriage , other things you will need are things such as criminal background check with some places, some places will also require a certificate showing you have never been married in the country ) countries you are from - been to, also you will need to have a brasilian notary do the translation for you, after that you then need to produce the documents translated ( official ) and hope for the best! good luck

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply the other declaration things like you said, I had already created this things using casamentocivil website. My Problem now is just with my name in Birth Certificate as it is with initial and my name in Passport appears without initial. If this would be a problem when facing bureaucracy then I need to prepare some things regarding this.

Thanks again

Most of the time all documents are required to be the same with your name.

Jim

If you are married in US and have gone through the Brazil Embassy to register the marriage which can be use to get an RNE once in Brazil, what advantages or disadvantages are there to go to the cartorio in Brazil to get married again?

Hi, jc1234,

If you register your US marriage with the Brazilian Consulate General responsible for your region in the US, they will record your marriage in their records and give you a "Certidão de Registro de Casamento Consular", to give your marriage legal effect in Brazil.  For a small additional charge, they'll issue you a "2a via", a second original, of this document for your records; I think it's always a good idea to get one.
When you get to Brazil, the Brazilian spouse (you can go together, of course, but the registration is a legal act on the part of the Brazilian spouse; my husband actually took care of this at the Cartório before I joined him in-country) will present the "Certidão Consular" to the Cartório do 1o Ofício in his/her hometown, or in the Federal District, which will issue a "Traslado de Casamento" in about a week.  That's your Brazilian Marriage Certificate, and can be used in obtaining your CRNM (former RNE/CIE).
The advantages of going the Consulate route are that you don't need to provide authenticated copies of documents, as long as you have the originals for the consular official to compare, and you don't have to have any English documents translated.  We also didn't need an apostille for my birth certificate.  Once you have the "Certidão" from the Consulate, my understanding is that registering your marriage at the Cartório is a purely ministerial action:  they are required to accept the "Certidão" at face value, and cannot demand that you resubmit the documents that you submitted to the Consulate General.  There is no downside that I can see.
If you choose to be married in the Cartório, all of your US documents need to have apostilles, and to be translated into Portuguese by a Sworn Translator in Brazil, which involves both money and time.  Some people have reported no trouble with the Cartório, but others have complained of running into extra requirements, so there's a degree of uncertainty.
You can't "get married again" in the Cartório, unless you don't tell them about your "Certidão":  if they know about it, their position will be that you're already married, and they'll want the "Certidão."
If for some reason you want to have a church wedding in Brazil, I don't know of anything that would prevent you from doing that after receiving the "Traslado" from the Cartório.

Hi abthree, thanks for the detailed explanation. I have the certidao from the consulate. But I was told that the visa form and visa the consulate attached to your passport serves as the documents needed to go the federal police to get the RNE and that going to the cartorio is optional?

I was also told that going to cartorio to register our wedding is so I can have certain rights like buying property in Brazil and opening a bank account?

abthree wrote:

Hi, jc1234,

If you register your US marriage with the Brazilian Consulate General responsible for your region in the US, they will record your marriage in their records and give you a "Certidão de Registro de Casamento Consular", to give your marriage legal effect in Brazil.  For a small additional charge, they'll issue you a "2a via", a second original, of this document for your records; I think it's always a good idea to get one.
When you get to Brazil, the Brazilian spouse (you can go together, of course, but the registration is a legal act on the part of the Brazilian spouse; my husband actually took care of this at the Cartório before I joined him in-country) will present the "Certidão Consular" to the Cartório do 1o Ofício in his/her hometown, or in the Federal District, which will issue a "Traslado de Casamento" in about a week.  That's your Brazilian Marriage Certificate, and can be used in obtaining your CRNM (former RNE/CIE).
The advantages of going the Consulate route are that you don't need to provide authenticated copies of documents, as long as you have the originals for the consular official to compare, and you don't have to have any English documents translated.  We also didn't need an apostille for my birth certificate.  Once you have the "Certidão" from the Consulate, my understanding is that registering your marriage at the Cartório is a purely ministerial action:  they are required to accept the "Certidão" at face value, and cannot demand that you resubmit the documents that you submitted to the Consulate General.  There is no downside that I can see.
If you choose to be married in the Cartório, all of your US documents need to have apostilles, and to be translated into Portuguese by a Sworn Translator in Brazil, which involves both money and time.  Some people have reported no trouble with the Cartório, but others have complained of running into extra requirements, so there's a degree of uncertainty.
You can't "get married again" in the Cartório, unless you don't tell them about your "Certidão":  if they know about it, their position will be that you're already married, and they'll want the "Certidão."
If for some reason you want to have a church wedding in Brazil, I don't know of anything that would prevent you from doing that after receiving the "Traslado" from the Cartório.

"I have the certidao from the consulate. But I was told that the visa form and visa the consulate attached to your passport serves as the documents needed to go the federal police to get the RNE."
That used to be true with the old Permanent Visa, the VIPER, but the VIPER was abolished in the 2017 reforms of the Law of Migration.  Now, you're only issued a VITEM, a temporary visa, that allows you into the country in order to go through the Polícia Federal's process for obtaining your CRNM, which replaced the RNE/CIE.  You'll need the documents called out on the PF website, with apostilles and sworn translations.   And you'll need the Traslado de Casamento from the Cartório,  mentioned in my earlier response.

"and that going to the cartorio is optional?"
Not really.  The Polícia Federal will be looking for the Traslado de Casamento from the Cartório.   If all you have is your consular Certidão, they'll probably put your application on hold until you finish registering your marriage.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou … 768424one:https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou … 4408768424

Not sure what you were trying to say with the links -- both of which were the same -- to the site of the Brazilian Consulate General in London.  Brazilian consular rules vary by host country, and Brazil is very picky about using the Consulate responsible for your area, so following the advice of other Consulates can steer you wrong.
In this case, however, the advice of the Consulates in Miami and London with respect to presentation of your Consular Certidão to the Cartório of competent jurisdiction in Brazil is unanimous and clear:  you MUST (the Portuguese says "deverá" -- "must", not "deveria" -- "may") present it and receive your Traslado de Casamento for your marriage to have legal effect in Brazil. 
It appears from the guidance on the Federal Police web page that they will accept the Consular Certidão as proof of your parents' legal names; they have the option of accepting it as proof of your marriage, or of demanding your Traslado.
This is the link for your Consulate, if you are in Miami's consular district:
http://miami.itamaraty.gov.br/pt-br/reg … mento_.xml

abthree wrote:

Not sure what you were trying to say with the links -- both of which were the same -- to the site of the Brazilian Consulate General in London.  Brazilian consular rules vary by host country, and Brazil is very picky about using the Consulate responsible for your area, so following the advice of other Consulates can steer you wrong.
In this case, however, the advice of the Consulates in Miami and London with respect to presentation of your Consular Certidão to the Cartório of competent jurisdiction in Brazil is unanimous and clear:  you MUST (the Portuguese says "deverá" -- "must", not "deveria" -- "may") present it and receive your Traslado de Casamento for your marriage to have legal effect in Brazil. 
It appears from the guidance on the Federal Police web page that they will accept the Consular Certidão as proof of your parents' legal names; they have the option of accepting it as proof of your marriage, or of demanding your Traslado.
This is the link for your Consulate, if you are in Miami's consular district:
http://miami.itamaraty.gov.br/pt-br/reg … mento_.xml

Thanks for the info, I see your point how every consulate of Brazil have various info on this subject, some more detailed than others.

I think the best way to resolve this is to contact the Policia Federal where I will be filing my case probably in Porto Alegre. 

My previous post was asking what the Traslado de Casamento document looks like and the photo link is what mine looks like.

Yep, that's exactly what they look like.  Good luck!  :top:

I have a Brazilian girlfriend of a few years & feeling it's finally time for us to get hitched. Ive been living and working in Sao Paulo for five years now, I am a UK citizen with a 10 year Brazilian residency permit granted because of my work.

I have been through all the duties that the Policia Federal need from me, and they have signed off all of my documents more than 3 times now (two working visas and my recent 10 year residency permit) including my birth certificate, etc.

Are there many beurocratic peculiarities that i will need to be familiar with before getting married as a foreigner here in Brasil? My partner would like to get married in her home town in MG, I have been living in SP for five years, not sure how that effects things?  How difficult do they make it? Will the Policia Federal need to see copies of my documents again does already having a 10 year residency permit RNE Card make the process simpler? What's the additional paperwork like for someone in my situation, i dont have plans to return to the UK soon and I'm hoping to confirm everything here in Brasil, is that possible? Also, is it a costly affair? thanks

Thanks in advance

Jay

alright so you want to get married in Brazil?

i can help you with that legally. I got married in Brazil too and I got my RNM In 2 months for 9 year also

I am waseem i am from pakistan i work in saudi arabia my girl friend is coming to pakistan to get married with me what kind of documents i need to prepare i will go to brazil with her after marriage want,

Since three years we both love each other and we both communicate with each other's family.

What documents should my girlfriend bring with her to Pakistan? So that he would have no problem taking me with him to Brazil

Thanks for the guide

01/16/23 I am waseem i am from pakistan i work in saudi arabia my girl friend is coming to pakistan to get married with me what kind of documents i need to prepare i will go to brazil with her after marriage want,
Since three years we both love each other and we both communicate with each other's family.
What documents should my girlfriend bring with her to Pakistan? So that he would have no problem taking me with him to Brazil
Thanks for the guide
-@Wassem Choudhury

Hi, Waseem,

Unfortunately, the Brazilian Embassies and Consulates no longer publish up-to-date lists of required documents on their websites.  You should write in English, or your fiancée should write in Portuguese, to this email address:

[email protected]

And ask,

1. What documents will  they require from you, a Pakistani citizen and from her, a Brazilian citizen, for the Consulate to register your marriage performed under Pakistani law?
  2. What documents will be required from each of you to apply for a VITEM XI family reunion visa after your marriage is registered at the Consulate?

These two processes will probably take at least a month, so she should plan on spending at least that amount of time in Pakistan, if not more.  I strongly doubt that the Embassy will process either request unless she is present with you:  this is important to remember.

At the very least, you are going to be required to provide your birth certificate, your national ID, a police background clearance from Saudi Arabia, a police background clearance from any other country where you have lived during the past five years, probably a police background clearance from Pakistan, and either a declaration that you have never been married or, if you have been married, your previous marriage certificate and either a divorce decree or a death certificate proving that your previous marriage has legally ended, and of course, your new marriage certificate.  Documents in Arabic should also be in English or bilingual; the Embassy will inform you whether they accept documents in Urdu only, but bilingual documents may be more convenient for you if available. 

Your fiancée will probably have to provide her birth certificate, and certainly have to provide her National ID (RG) and passport.  She will have to provide a similar declaration that she has never been married, or proof of any previous marriage and that it has legally ended.  She will have to make a legal declaration accepting responsibility for your support.  All of her documents in Portuguese will be accepted.

This list is not current or necessarily complete, so PLEASE do not neglect to contact the Embassy for current information.

After the Embassy has registered your marriage, they will allow you to apply for the visa.  They may allow you to file both applications simultaneously, but it will probably be first one, then the other.  When they issue your visa, they should inform you what additional documents you will need -- if any -- to present to the Federal Police once you get to Brazil.  If they do not mention it, be sure to ask.

Congratulations, and best of luck to both of you!

01/16/23 I have a Brazilian girlfriend of a few years & feeling it's finally time for us to get hitched. Ive been living and working in Sao Paulo for five years now, I am a UK citizen with a 10 year Brazilian residency permit granted because of my work.
Jay
-@bloomboy

Hi, Jay,

Please see my response in your other thread.

@JohnC.     Sorry, I plan to go back and read all the posts, but the comment about crime in Brazil stopped me in my tracks.

I lived in MD., 22 years with my Brazilian wife before I made the change to live in Northern Brazil at her house for our retirement. I have heard the crime in Brazil tales before, but for the sake of this young couple I have to say something.

I was encouraged to get the NBC4 app to check the weather when I was living in MD., I also watch the NBC Nightly news on a 1 day delay.

While these Brazil is dangerous stories are floating around, I am getting daily alerts of car jackings, home invasions, homicides, muggings, shootings and more. I also happen to be still connected by email to the neighborhood watch so I also get break in's suspicious people, more car jackings, road rage  and robberies.

But wait there is more as they say on tv. While relaxing in our garden I now know 4 teenagers were murdered in Moscow, Idaho, a 6 year old stabbed his elementary teacher on purpose, several people were killed in the Walmart break room by their manager, mass killings at church's, nightclubs, grocery stores and schools. Oh and I used to live in a wealthy suburb only a few miles from Washington, D.C. on January 6th. I also worked for The Wall St. Journal years ago and attended a company dinner at Windows of The World which used to be at the top of the Twin Towers before 9/11.

I am enjoying my quiet retirement in Brazil. I am sure this romantic couple will also enjoy being here.

Roddie in Retirement🕵🏽

Roddie in Retirement🕵🏽
-@Roddie Simmons

I am in Portland Oregon at least twice a month when I am not in Brazil, mostly in quiet downtown Sao Paulo. It is certainly interesting how the media portrays safety and crime. I love numbers, it is my thing in life, and crime numbers don't really lie, many cities in other countries are much more dangerous than Brazil.

How about this for news headlines out of quiet little Portland Oregon? "Elderly man has part of his face chewed off in Gresham MAX platform attack", https://www.kptv.com/2023/01/03/elderly … m-gresham/

Or this one, "Woman arrested after pushing 3-year-old child onto train tracks, authorities say". https://www.nbc15.com/2022/12/31/woman- … ities-say/

Then again, you could just read, "9 shootings in Portland last weekend highlight ongoing rise in gun violence". 9 shootings in Portland last weekend highlight ongoing rise in gun violence". https://www.opb.org/article/2022/09/01/ … -violence/

@Bardamu I know exactly what you mean, my father married my Brazilian mother when I was about 7. I was always close to my father and I married a Brazilian girl too. First for love, second as a check on helping navigate my fathers connection to a Brazilian girl. In fact my mother came back to Niterói and stayed for over a year. My father commissioned my secret agent wife to come to Brazil (we were living in America then) to bring

her back to America. Now that my father passed in America, my wife volunteered to bring my 96 year old Brazilian mother back to Brazil. We all live here and I definitely know what it's like to be married to a Brazilian Girl.

Roddie In Retirement🕵🏽

@rraypo. That gets a thumbs up. By the way me and my Brazilian wife opened up a Brazilian Coffeehouse (Aqui Brazilian Coffee) in 2005. My only trip to Portland was to be trained in the art of coffee by Belíssimo.

Roddie in Retirement🕵🏽