Need advise on salary

Hi Forum members,

I am in the middle of an ongoing discussion with a Telecom Company for moving to Manama, Bahrain. I have done my  Engineering and have 3 years of experience. I am not offered any salary since the discussion is still on, but I do not want give them a number/figure that the company cannot match basis my experience and skills compared to their requirements. I am single(25), and would love to relocate but confused on the average salaries for people with around 3 years of experience.
One more problem that I might face is that the company would compare my current salary in India and would offer 2 x X or 3 x X if X is INR current salary. But since the expenses in India are pretty lesser as compared to that in Bahrain, I doubt I can manage in less than 4 x X (INR) annually( Is it practical to ask for it?).
I really want to save some good money there if I am relocating, atleast 500-600 BHD /month(I hope that's not a big numner, need inputs). Reading different blogs and reviews, I suppose I can manage my expenses well in 700-800 BHD /month which would include rent, food, travel and misc expenses. So I really need help so as to what approximately to ask for to the company as a first offer(considering my 3 years of experience). The company is a good telecom company, and I fit in their requirement pretty well. 
Will 1500BHD /month be ok to ask for with rent to be paid my me or can I ask more.(I dont want to piss off the company by giving a very high number)

You can ask whatever you feel is feasible for you.....if it doesn't suit them I am sure they will counteroffer, if they accept straightaway then you've probably asked for too little, so you are best off over estimating and giving them a figure slightly higher than what you think suitable. That way if they don't accept you can come down or they will offer you less which will bring you down closer to what you actually wanted.

Hi,

as Ocefemjc mentioned, you can ask and they will counter offer if it does not suit them. But as far as i know the market 1500BHD is a bit on the higher side, i would say 700-900BHD with family status, medical and schooling, but it may depend on the company.

Good luck

T&R

Hi Ocfemjc,

Thanks for the update. Eventually either me or the HR has to speak a number. I am just trying to throw the ball in their court but i dont know if it will work. My point is just that if I am relocating from one country to another, there must be a lucrative offer to do so. There are several other factors which the HR wont account, like the GDP growth of Bahrain and the dependency of economy on crude oil whose prices have been falling affecting the gulf countries adversely(though Bahrain is not a major exporter of oil, some part of GDP and economy still depends on it).
So, i dont exactly know but if I can save atleast 600-700BHD at my level of experience, I would be happy to relocate.

Hi logicalindian,

Thank for the reply. I was actually referring to one of salary surveys i got on on the internet- http://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary-su … e=1&job=51
But i suppose this is on a very higher side. My aim is just to save a decent amount. As you told, if living costs would probably be lesser than 700BHD/month, Should I ask between 1200-1500BHD/month for my target saings?

Thanks much!

hi,

many organisations do not go with global standards here since Bahrain is a very small country and the size of the business is not that large. You can ask anything you want and then the company will reply back with their offer. I am not discouraging you here but what range of salary you have mentioned would be on a higher side compared to the years of experience you have.

Good luck!

T&R

Which telecom company you are being offered a job? Can i know a name if u dn't mind. I am also telecom engineer and i also got shortlisted for bahrain. Doc Process is ongoing.

I would advise doing a quick estimate of how much you would spend in a month to see if you salary matches this. A website that I found to be very helpful is:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ci … ity=Manama

It is only a guide but it should allow you to roughly work out how much living costs will be, I would multiply the amount you work out by 1.3 to be on the safe side. I hope this helps :)

I feel you must make it to bahrain for any reasonable offer in excess of 1000bd and especially if it is atleast 2X of your indian pay. The reasons are: you are young and unmarried, tax free salary, benefits of an NRI status ( say--9% interest pa on bank deposits tax free and other benefits)Bahrain allows for local transfer between jobs after some time.

I have come here as a physician nearly 10 yrs back for 2X of my indian income , married with small kid !! I have realised that income growth in bahrain is reasonably good, changed job here, and having an added benefit of the depreciating indian rupee.

(when i came here 1 Bahraini dinar: 99 rupee to 120 rupee
9 yrs later: 170+ rupee.)

There are generally 2 mistakes you can do with regards to Bahrain
--one is to come here
--second is to go back
!!!

Take the plunge.

Welcome to Bahrain

As Dr. Sunil mentioned, I'd also encourage you to factor in tax savings when comparing your Indian remuneration with the salary being offered here. At present, you may be paying 25 to 30% of your salary as taxes.