Can a native English person teach in Vietnam with just a TESL Cert?

Hi,

I am originally from the UK and currently live and work in Sydney. I absolutely fell in love with Vietnam a couple of years ago during my travels before settling in Sydney. I am thinking of heading over to Hanoi for approx. 6 - 12 months and would love to teach English....the only problem is I do not hold a degree. I have seen an online and in class 140 hour TESL Cert. course that I am interested in doing but wondered whether I would struggle to find teaching English work without a degree?

Any advice you can give me will be much appreciated.  :)

I'm pretty sure, that's enough.

I have a similar problem. I got my degree in 1978, but I haven't seen my diploma for many years (probably lost).  My alma mater informed me several years ago that it doesn't maintain records that are older than 25 years (mine would have been purged around '03-04), therefore I have no means of confirming my degree.  Is there a workaround for this? I am thinking about moving to HCMC w/in the next 12-18 months to work as a musician, but will probably teach English on the side, or teach music.  Will this be an issue?

maybe you can proof it with your past job contracts.

I have been a self-employed working musician for over thirty years, never kept detailed records...

Thanks NoPinky for your response appreciate it; I hope others are able to offer a little more advice too

Leezal wrote:

Hi,

I am originally from the UK and currently live and work in Sydney. I absolutely fell in love with Vietnam a couple of years ago during my travels before settling in Sydney. I am thinking of heading over to Hanoi for approx. 6 - 12 months and would love to teach English....the only problem is I do not hold a degree. I have seen an online and in class 140 hour TESL Cert. course that I am interested in doing but wondered whether I would struggle to find teaching English work without a degree?

Any advice you can give me will be much appreciated.  :)

It's OK that you don't have a degree. You even don't need a TESL Cert to work as an English teacher in Ha Noi if you are experienced. Of course how much you are paid depends on how good your teaching is.