Thai Airways

Greetings,
Have you flew with Thai Airways (TG)?  What are your experience with the airline?

TG made an announcement with Reuters news yesterday.

TG will suspend their flights to Los Angeles (LAX) and Rome from October 25.

TG will cease their operations in USA.

TG has 50 flights that are loosing money or low return.

I was a Gold Card member for 20+ years. They were an award winning airline during that time.

Due to mismanagement and corruption, the airline is now overpriced (20%-40% on most sectors), and services have plummeted. After losing my luggage on 3 consecutive international flights I have stopped flying Thai and use the low cost regional carriers - Air Asia etc for flights in Asia and the Middle Eastern airlines like Emirates, Etihad which have great service and are cheaper than Thai to fly to Europe

Rejoice, we use to fly Thai Airways, but they are always late, and they don't have upgraded premium seats, so now we fly EVA or Japan Airlines. Patrick

My experience with Thai Airways (TG) has always been great. A long while ago, it was among the first ones to have in-flight video on demand (VOD) before other airlines followed suit. It used to be an airline providing good value for money. But today, compared to other airlines' fares, TG's fare is hardly competitive.

Air travel is a brutally competitive industry. Even Singapore Airlines (SG), the alleged best airlines in the world, got many complaints lately due to the drop in its service and in-flight food quality for short-haul flights. I am not surprised that TG has to take actions too, such as cutting unprofitable routes, to restore its financial health.

You can only hope that all those people can find jobs elsewhere or retire early.

Hi,

I always use them and the reason why I choose them :
1- direct flght to BKK from London or Paris ( others do that but not point 2 )
2- change plane over BKK to go to CNX, just transfer zone without leaving the airport, without having to go for ticket, and all my luggage change plane automatically, there are no other companies assuring this service luggage transfer to Chiang Mai from Europe directly to the other plane as the plane between BKK to CNX are mainly some low cost company Nokair, airasia, bangkokair, etc...

And they use the A380 from Paris which is very comfortable with wi-fi at exta price !!

However for domestic flight I will not use them as they are more expensive, and I don't need special requirement.

In UK for example I always used Easyjet to fly to France, I can not complaint about service for 1 hour flight, same than doing Chiang Mai to Bangkok in Airasia for 1 hour flight

But this is valid for any company, if you don't make profit you have to sell some activities, or services, to relocate, to reduce overheads and cost, and find new attractive markets.... but in area like airline company you have to be complaint with regulation about safety....

Earlier this year in the news was : Thailand's airlines face 'significant' safety concerns
Japan and South Korea have decided to block new flights from Thai-registered airlines after safety concerns were raised by an international aviation watchdog

KrabiMan wrote:

I was a Gold Card member for 20+ years. They were an award winning airline during that time.

Due to mismanagement and corruption, the airline is now overpriced (20%-40% on most sectors), and services have plummeted. After losing my luggage on 3 consecutive international flights I have stopped flying Thai and use the low cost regional carriers - Air Asia etc for flights in Asia and the Middle Eastern airlines
like Emirates, Etihad which have great
service and are cheaper than Thai to fly
to Europe

I know and understand your frustrations over lost luggage and that spoils the day.

TG lost her glory many years ago. I used to fly with them but drop them.

I'm with Cathay Pacific and I don't mind transit in HK airport. On return leg, have a short holiday in HK to catch up with food, shopping and friends.

Thanks for your input.

thailand4me wrote:

Rejoice, we use to fly Thai Airways, but they are always late, and they don't have upgraded premium seats, so now we fly EVA or Japan Airlines. Patrick

EVA is the first asan airlines that offer deluxe class seats and price is reasonable.
Perhaps you may like to try Cathay Pacific (CX) as they do have same as EVA.
On return leg, stop over in HK would be nice.

pederlaw wrote:

My experience with Thai Airways (TG) has always been great. A long while ago, it was among the first ones to have in-flight video on demand (VOD) before other airlines followed suit. It used to be an airline providing good value for money. But today, compared to other airlines' fares, TG's fare is hardly competitive.

Air travel is a brutally competitive industry. Even Singapore Airlines (SG),
the alleged best airlines in the world, got
many complaints lately due to the drop
in its service and in-flight food quality for
short-haul flights. I am not surprised that
TG has to take actions too, such as
cutting unprofitable routes, to restore its
financial health.

Thanks for your input
TG drop their standard a lot in food and service. Besides their cabin crew is nose up now. Guess the new generation thinks being an air hostess is something glamorous but they are just waitress only.

thailand4me wrote:

You can only hope that all those people can find jobs elsewhere or retire early.

TG is known for internal conflicts instead of unity and C.......

cthierrymk wrote:

Hi,

I always use them and the reason why I choose them :
1- direct flght to BKK from London or Paris ( others do that but not point 2 )
2- change plane over BKK to go to CNX, just transfer zone without leaving the airport, without having to go for ticket, and all my luggage change plane automatically, there are no other companies assuring this service luggage
transfer to Chiang Mai from Europe
directly to the other plane as the plane
between BKK to CNX are mainly some
low cost company Nokair, airasia,
bangkokair, etc...

And they use the A380 from Paris which
is very comfortable with wi-fi at exta
price !!

However for domestic flight I will not use
them as they are more expensive, and I
don't need special requirement.

In UK for example I always used Easyjet
to fly to France, I can not complaint
about service for 1 hour flight, same
than doing Chiang Mai to Bangkok in
Airasia for 1 hour flight

But this is valid for any company, if you
don't make profit you have to sell some
activities, or services, to relocate, to
reduce overheads and cost, and find
new attractive markets.... but in area like
airline company you have to be
complaint with regulation about safety....

Earlier this year in the news was :
Thailand's airlines face 'significant'
safety concerns

Japan and South Korea have decided to
block new flights from Thai-registered
airlines after safety concerns were
raised by an international aviation
watchdog

Thanks for your input.

I can understand why you chose TG because of switching planes since you're in CM.

If I'm in your shoes, I will not because for long flights I prefer CX for better service and stop over in HK.

On return leg, I can catch up with buddies; indulge on great food that is not available here; shopping and catch up on any new IT stuff.

As to Thai DCA problems, this slag happen some time ago until Red Flag issued; US Aviation gives 65 days to make changes.

They get professional help from Singapore to sort out and now manuals are done. They lack of professional staff on inspections and will recruit foreigners. Guess they are not sleeping anymore as dreamland is over.

Somehow, Im not into budget airlines especially with luggage restriction; changing of flight means pay extra; seats are not reserved.

Sorry I was pampered with conventional airlines always with the freedom of changes if needed as well as luggage; service and other perks.

I used to do lots of regional flights and my life is in a suit case. I only spend 5 days in a month at home as I'm somewhere else. My 5 days at home is not a stretch but 1 night or 2 nights then I'm gone.

I had stopped doing that for many years now as it's very tiring. Thus I know a lot about airlines; hotels; transfers and restaurants.

Only used them twice, but they were very good.

I flew many times with Thai Airways from the mid 1960's but gave up on them 3 years ago when their prices got too much, both domestic and international.
I use Air Asia a lot now as their prices for flights from Australia to Laos are half that of Thai Airways.

Hello,
Yes, I used to fly regularly with Thai Airways on regional flights and I was very satisfied because you could change the flight dates with no extra charge and very good service. I stopped flying with them because I could no longer afford it, Air Asia is a lot cheaper but the service no where on the Thai Airways level.

stumpy wrote:

I flew many times with Thai Airways from the mid 1960's but gave up on them 3 years ago when their prices got too much, both domestic and international.
I use Air Asia a lot now as their prices for flights from Australia to Laos are half that of Thai Airways.

In the 60s or even 70s, budget airlines doesn't exist at all.

Air Asia comes into the market in the
90s after he bought the company for $1.00 plus take over the debts.

You can't compare Air Asia and TG because it's totally different class.

Air Asia is budget with many restrictions but low price.

TG is conventional airline with many options and perks.

If you want to compare Air Asia the do it with Nok or Thai Smile or Lion Air etc

Thanks for your input

TonyST wrote:

Hello,
Yes, I used to fly regularly with Thai Airways on regional flights and I was very satisfied because you could change the flight dates with no extra charge and very good service. I stopped flying with them because I could no longer afford it, Air Asia is a lot cheaper but the service no where on the Thai Airways level.

TG is conventional airline and can make changes of dates or time. There are perks like baggage allowance; food; service etc.

But Air Asia is budget so many restrictions and ticket price is cheap.

If for short flight, budget airlines is fine. But for long flights, then it's different.

If travel on business, not convenient with budget airlines. Besides if you have products etc to carry thus baggage is more.

Normal economy flights is 20kg may not be enough for business trip especially if you are going during winter period with few meetings. You may have at least 2 suits; winter coat and sweater. Then brochures; products samples etc

That is why business people fly business class or first class. They have extra baggage allowance.

Even short flights without hassle of winter clothes but they may travel with the golf bag. They play golf for their business meetings.

Budget airlines doesn't fit in.

Very sorry my knowledge on Budget Airlines is limited.

I flew only once from Bkk to Phuket and back on "one to go" many years ago. Flight delay for nearly 2 hours and I told myself never fly on budget airlines any more.

My knowledge on budget airlines are
1) extra charges for change dates or time of flight.
2) Limited size for hand carry luggage.
3) Pay for check in luggage
4) No assign seat thus you can sit anywhere
5) No food or drinks are served
6) Single aisle plane so it's small plane

Thank GOD that I can afford to fly the conventional plane even on the double deck Boeing class.

Depending on my trip, I may fly bussiness or first class. I have yet to try the deluxe or super economy class.

Due to my knowledge of traveling and flying alone couple with my membership.

I know when it's peak season and the flight to certain city. I book economy and my chances of upgrade to business class is great.

So I got bump up to business class with all the perks but pay economy class ticket.

I got the preference as being a member. I love full flights when travel alone as I always get free upgrade.

I Also think Thai Airways is overpriced, compared to Qatar and Etihad they make no effort to be competitive.