Your experience of culture shock in Germany

Hi,

Living in a foreign country implies to discover its culture, to learn and master the cultural codes.

How did you deal with that? Share with us your culture shock stories where you experienced a funny or awkward moment in Germany.

What is your advice regarding the don'ts and what would you recommend to avoid any mistake?

Thank you in advance for sharing your stories,

Christine

3 years now That we are living in ex East Germany in Leipzig.
I am French, my husband is English, we used to live abroad a lot and when we came here it was to come back in Europe after Africq.
If I was happy with the beauty of the town and the extraordinary amount of concerts, classic and not classic, I had been very disappointed by a lot of things.
First of all the housing.
Nobody told us that in this part of the world there is from the owner a principe to never give back the caution, lot of time important that you give to them.
Nobody told me that I should have written any little scratch on the wall on the floor , any minuscule stain..because if you don't take picture of it and don't force the agen to write it, then they will charge you and keep your caution to make it new when you live like if it was not here when you took over . So please new people do like they do when you give back the flat, take one hour to inspect cm by cm what you are going to rent and write everything on the paper, ask them to fixe it now or ask them to recognize that you are not responsible for it !,
Then make sur enough understand that once you are in the owner will not fixe anything even unhealthy masrums,sal
We're on the wall, they considered here that since the tow is in the water .,it's totally normal!!! Perhaps they will tell you that you don't ventilate enough or that you don't heat enough. all of this is absolutely illegal and if you go to court you will win, but they try..
So careful whenever you rent something, on ten tenant two have their caution back,, this is an average and this is not fair at all.

Hi, we moved from Canada to Germany in Heidelberg 5 weeks ago.
So far the experience is negative. People are rude, the city we live in is not child friendly ..people dont mind to hit a kid and not say sorry. All cashier are pissed off at all time.

Be aware that its not everywhere you can pay with credit card or even bank card. Most of the store take cash only. They are closed on sundays and if you need to arrange something administrative you need to take a day off to go. It's awful.

I am going back to Canada in January, I am not willing to take this rudeness anymore. The last 10 years we have been living in the Netherlands and I havent lived something like this.

Catcha56 wrote:

Nobody told us that in this part of the world there is from the owner a principe to never give back the caution, lot of time important that you give to them.

I assume you are talking about rental deposits here ("Kaution" in German) - the English word "caution" has a different meaning!
The rules are very tenant-friendly here and you will definitely get your deposit back, unless the landlord can prove the damage is caused by you and wasn't present before your move in (Yes, HE has to prove, not you!). Also, normal wear and tear is included in the rent (by law!) and cannot be deducted from the deposit.
Of course there are unreasonable landlords (as in every country), but you will get your rights if you pursue them!

Catcha56 wrote:

Then make sur enough understand that once you are in the owner will not fixe anything even unhealthy masrums,sal
We're on the wall, they considered here that since the tow is in the water .,it's totally normal!!! Perhaps they will tell you that you don't ventilate enough or that you don't heat enough. all of this is absolutely illegal.

Your sentences are very difficult to understand. I assume you are here talking about mold on the walls, which is common in badly built (mostly old) flats in winter. The landlord can, in a well-written tenancy contract, put the burden on you for avoiding this by extensive ventilation and heating. Get your contract checked by a lawyer (e.g. at a Mieterverein - tenants' association) whether there is such a clause and if it is valid. Please also note that in most cases the mold is harmless (just unsightly) and requires just a (fairly cheap) spraying with Chlorine and painting over when you move out to make it invisible again.

And a last remark: If you are unhappy with your landlord, you should just move. As you correctly said, 90% of them are very reasonable, so your chances are good that things will improve then!

StephCan wrote:

Hi, we moved from Canada to Germany in Heidelberg 5 weeks ago.
So far the experience is negative. People are rude, the city we live in is not child friendly ..people dont mind to hit a kid and not say sorry. All cashier are pissed off at all time.

Be aware that its not everywhere you can pay with credit card or even bank card. Most of the store take cash only. They are closed on sundays and if you need to arrange something administrative you need to take a day off to go. It's awful.

I am going back to Canada in January, I am not willing to take this rudeness anymore. The last 10 years we have been living in the Netherlands and I havent lived something like this.

It sound like you are (after the initial "honeymoon" phase) now in the first (and deepest) depression phase of your culture shock. Please note that neither of these phases tell much about the host country, but lots about your mental state. Read up on culture shock (a good start is the Wikipedia entry, which I co-authored) and be assured that Germany isn't as bad as it now appears through your currently grey-tinted glasses.

The rudeness it is something widespread in Germany though. Coming from German-speaking Switzerland I thought the culture would be somehow similar but no, it isn't !  I had quite a few experiences with German colleagues in the past and thought I had just been unlucky but the reality is that rudeness is so ingrained that they are not even aware of it! It is everywhere. I am sure it is cultural and it reminds me what I have experienced in some countries in Eastern Europe.  You need to be prepared or you will be shocked/appalled but it. Bear in mind that Germans do not realise how rude they are.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Please post in english only on this english speaking forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi, I am writing again because I have not at all mentioned my opinions of Germany and the people. I have lived here on and off for 30 years, and do understand now the German way of behaving and thinking? I have met some very rude people and unfriendly ones. Germans tend to be so direct it almost hurts. They seldom say thankyou and have been brought up in this way so they no no different. I do really miss the politeness of British and am always glad to be in the UK for holidays and find in the supermarket the people are very helpful. Unfortunately, the UK is so expensive now that we cannot afford to go back, although we would be much happier with the general atmosphere.  We do not have many friends here and it seems everybody is out for themselves. One has more money for spending on extras, here, and not so poor as in the UK. We have it harder in the UK with the council tax, and bills are very high, as well as rents. Buying a house here is also cheaper than in the UK.  We certainly can afford more things here, and find that a big plus. If one does not know much German, I think they could have a hard time, because the people are not interested in helping.

I am currently going on 3 weeks in Berlin setting up operations for my company with our first office in EU. I found out the following differences very quickly.

1. Theft: Unfortunately this is from experience, make sure you always put your phone/wallet in a bag never leave it on the table or in the open... I had someone ask for money with a paper(hand written), long story short they put it on the table over my wallet/phone with one hand and grabbed my stuff with the other. Gone before I knew what had happened. If you only speak English you have to go to the police station to make the report. I recommend doing this in the case that whomever stole your items of value don't commit a crime with your credentials on them.

2. Transportation: I prefer getting around the Berlin way, public transportation is awesome, I used the app BVG in unison with Google Maps. This helped me get familiar with the area and how to get where I needed to go. If you own a car gas is pricey and you will have to pretty much pay for ANYWHERE you park. I recommend public transpiration if you can.

3. Amazon: Amazon is great for getting everything you need other than food. Although, keep in mind that if you come from anywhere other than Berlin they will mark your account as suspected fraud and you need to call Amazon.de to clear it up.

4. Food: Food is great you can find pretty much all you need at any local store plus or minus some of the things you would expect for spices back in the US.

5. People: People are people you should expect to adjust to their standards and culture, be sure you understand, especially in the work environment you are open to change. The last thing you want is for them to think it's your way(American Way) or the highway.

Having been living in Hamburg for over a year now, I believe that the German people are fairly direct sometimes but mostly out of practicality rahter than to be rude. I have experienced quite much of a polite communication on the street or at public places. So in general it is probably a matter of consequences how they will behave.

One thing is true, though, one shall be carefull with (all) contracts, especially rental ones.

Hi! Living in Germany for a year now. First 3 months was in Oldenburg where I got my first job just after a week moving to the country. My employer was very nice, knowing I'm having a huge cultural adjustment, he helped me with basic German words and some things you should or should not do. Found a small apartment with a very nice landlady, and school just walking distance from our house. The only person who was really rude to me was my colleague (coz I changed everything in our workplace according to the kitchen standards thay they didn't follow), other than that, everything was super! Then we moved to Heilbronn, found a massive house above our landlord and he never asked for the advance payment. Everyweek we are having bbq with them, and they are the one who takes care of our dog haha! Found a job here, everyone was nice but then you know, every workplace someone will be an a**. But eventually i quit and just built up our own business.

I am living in a village, where everything is quiet and everyone knows everyone. It's like a one big family here, everyone is helping one another. I think we just got really lucky!

It's hard, really hard to adjust. But then, if you keep on putting yourself down, and be grumpy all the time. Then you will think always negative. That happened to me, i thought everything, everyone is stupid and I hated them so much because they can't understand me and I can't understand them. But once you got used to it, learn the language, it's easy.

** I notice it's all negative about this topic, I just want to share some positive story!!  ;)

Just going Grocery Shopping was different than the US.

How to go Grocery Shopping in Germany in 25 Easy Steps

Gather up all of your bottles that need to be returned. Yes, they still do that!
Make sure you have a 1-Euro coin with you.
Make sure you have your shopping bags with you. You are tired of paying for plastic grocery bags.
Go to the supermarket.
Put your bottles in the automatic bottle returner machine.
Gather any bottles that the machine rejects. Put them back in the car.
Take your 1-Euro coin to get a shopping cart. The carts are connected together and you put in a 1-Euro to free a cart.
Take your bottle return receipt into the store with you.
Go shopping.
Marvel at why half of the "American Section" is Mexican food...but they don't have re-fried beans.
Go to check out.
Hopefully you have cash or your "EC" debit card with you.
Watch the checkout person scan your items at record speed. You have to bag yourself.
Feel proud if you can almost bag as fast as the checkout person.
Ignore stares as you bag the few last items and get your money out.
Put your food in the trunk of your car.
Smack your head when you realize you forgot to turn in your bottle return receipt.
Return your cart to the cart shack and get your Euro back.
Put your Euro in a special place in your purse so you don't spend it.
Stop by the recycling center to get rid of the wine bottle that the bottle return machine rejected.
Look back and forth between the green bottle bin and the brown bottle bin when you realize you have a yellow bottle.
Decide it's a green bottle and who cares because no one's watching.
Go home.
Unpack your groceries.
Try to figure out how to fit the frozen items in the little tiny freezer.
(http://ger-seygirl.blogspot.mx/2009/03/ … rmany.html)

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : off topic
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Funny to read some of the observations here. Like that many stores only take cash and no cards - simply untrue; maybe a garage to repair your car might not take even an EC card but virtually no retail vendor outside a small village doesn't take some kind of card unless maybe it's for a purchase for just a euro or two.

As for hitting kids - it's strictly forbidden in public in Germany - not just for someone else's' kids but also for your own as well!  Worse than rudeness can be the fake friendliness. It has lightened up over the years but one is expected to announce oneself going into many a German business with a loud good-day or respond in kind if the owner addresses you. Yet they often don't offer good service, it's more like a challenge that you have any reason to be in their place.

The criticism from Bopper about taking deposit bottles back is rather ridiculous. Yes, German is the world's leader in recycling and that's good so. Deposits on bottles and cans have really helped keep them off of the streets or end up landing in dumps. Anyone who can't deal with it needs to rethink their own attitudes – sorry but those are rich white girl problems. Also, unlike in America, sales taxes are always included in the price so you know exactly what you have to pay. Advantage Germany.

Other than the shops at some gas stations, stores are generally closed on Sundays but the USA is about the only country I've seen where one can go to a big supermarket 24/7. 30 years ago stores close during the week at 6 or 6.30 pm and usually opened just half a day on Saturdays. Now some shops can stay open until 10 pm but few have actually found it profitable to do so. Some supermarkets like Rewe City are open till midnight, so one can say that the shopping hours have greatly liberalized in Germany over the years.

Public transportation benefits greatly outweigh the shopping limits say USA vs. Germany. Even the best American systems pale in comparison. A couple of years ago I was in Ft. Worth and wanted to go to Dallas on the commuter train - and was happy that one even existed. Unfortunately it was Sunday and it didn't run - inconceivable in Europe.
I have rarely seen a German supermarket that had a specific American section, they usually have foreign specialties which might be organized under Asian, Indian and Mexican. Thankfully, one can now find some Mexican style products; although the variety is lacking one didn't see much of anything a couple of decades ago but any store with a foreign food section in Stuttgart has refried beans – if you really want to pay 4 times what you would to just take simple red beans. But what else should be American? One can readily find hamburgers, frozen pizzas, peanut butter, hotdogs and even more types of similar sausages, corn on the cob when in season… It's all available – just not necessarily marketed as American. If you want American style bread instead of German – which has the best varieties in the world, then you buy what the Germans call toast since they only toast such stuff. Chocolate, beer, bakery items, cheese… Germany has many much better offerings than America. 

For many Americans, I imagine the housing situation is rather different in Germany. People live more densely in cities and much more often in apartments than in free standing houses. One needs to be informed of both their rights and obligations as renters. In America, apartment complexes are almost exclusively owned by one company. In Germany there are often many apartments in a given building owned by various owners - similar to a condominium form of ownership. Thus, the renters of your apartment might have bought that place as an investment and have no experience in property management. There are laws about conditions but sometimes they are hard to enforce as the legal system in Germany, unlike the clichés, is slow and inefficient. Big apartment complexes with one owner are generally managed with some level of professionalism – unless they have been bought up by investors looking to upgrade a place and make a killing. Then they are notorious for ignoring defects and actively harassing people out so they can get around the rent increase laws.

TominStuttgart wrote:

Yes, German is the world's leader in recycling and that's good so.

Tom, you are already starting to talk in Denglish: "das ist gut so."
Sign that you have been in Germany too long?!?

@boostability, theft is not so common in Germany but of course it does happen and is most likely in big cities if you are careless. But this is not something to be shocked about nor characteristic of Germany in general. Ordering from Amazon does not have to be done from Berlin. Any Amazon account might double check orders from a strange IP address, thus if you live in Berlin and then login from elsewhere then it looks suspicious. And if you live in Hamburg but login from an IP address known to be in Berlin it would also raise a red flag.

Well,im from philippines and moving on september to NRW this coming september...But to study german language in BERLIN as my husband work there too.Anyway about this culture shock in germany....i will be expecting that....Because everywhere in the world we like to go we encounter different people,different attitude and different  culture for sure...because all of the people living if they are american,european countries,asian countries etc.,some are quit,nasty/rude,too open or too direct that will hurts us....But i'm 100 % sure some also nice and very good people,

I know also its not easy to adjust.. especially if we don't know so much about their language,,,i think first thing we should do is '' WIR LERNEN DEUTSCH '' ...next is head down and politely using ''SIE'' to show more respect...and the best is THE POWER OF SMILE AND BE FRIENDLY ... then i think if we do this we win....if it does  not work then better  not think so much...its their problem...just smile if you hear something that will hurts us then ''In and Out''

And hopefully i get friends there,as in friends real friends....Im a little bit nervous because i've never been there before so i have to learn a lot not only language,people,place,weather,shops where we can buy lesser price and many many more to learn... i like to say good luck to myself hehehe...

Hiiii, 1 year ago I was having slightly difficulties in "moving" myself from Indonesia into Germany. As much as I have been teaching my students in facing cultural schocks whenever they were going or moving to a country within English spoken, I never ever prepared myself with the differencies here.

My first mistakes was showing a friendly gesture toward an elderly lady, our best friend's mother that I just met. I was putting my hand on her shoulder (she was sick on the bed), while introducing myself. And.....beeeep, first mistake, she was upset, because I just realised she is no touchy feely person and she is not very shy in saying that. My profusely apologies were accepted, alhamdulillah thanks to God. Then next time when I met new people, I was putting myself a bit distance, and.....beeep, second mistakes, they said to my husband that I was too tense that in the end made them uneasy with me (they thought I was uncomfortabe with them). Then I had another Cultural Class 101 with my husband lol, thats what I needed since I wasnt paying attention to his wordings before I moved. And since then I only try to be a mirror for every new person that I meet. Except when they are grumpy or not nice without any reasons than I will always just be me, a friendly soul from Indonesia.

Although there are 2 things that I can say very important in here that are soooooo different with my culture; in here You arent supposed to smile to just anybody that having eye's contatct with us, for they might think we mock them (I got that snapped before  :blink:  ) and when we see someone needs our help, better offer the help to them but not directly give the help (I got ano snapped also hihihi). It might be related to the pride of the people here.

In all, trying to adapt and be Yourself are my key to live in harmony here, for German people are a bit cold in the first time but once they warm, they will stick on You like an old great pals.

yups, I often get problem too in collecting my groceries, while the other shoppers are waiting in line (pssst sometimes they are patient though mostly I see unfriendly customers face hihihi) so I choose to shop for my groceries early morning.

hallo!! Ohhh i never expecting that too,,,,that it might happen when you smile to them even we dont intend anything,,,,im sure it was very hard for you then because at first,second and third time and got everytime a mistake,,,,.honestly im also scared because all is new for me then there...but first i have to observe there all,,how all there work out...but also happy coz i know my husband will always be there for me to teach me new things...he know my life here in philippines and im sure he know what i have to learn....

Yes, for me with my traditional culture of Indonesian, it was quite a shock in the beginning. But like i wrote, the German people do seem cold and reserved in the 1st glance, but in the end it is not about the culture but more about the person itself. My husband and his family are Germany but somehow we dont have any difficulties in getting along well  :D
Soooo, good luck for Your new experience here, Berlin is more international than other Cities seeing its the capital city, so English is not an alien language there. But in case You have any questions or other things, just drop Your message on my inbox...have a nice day.

For us, moving to Germany from the US, we did experience a culture shock in that we arrived on a Sunday, and could not find anything open. So, we thought we would go shopping after we arrived home from work. By the time we got home and to the grocery, it was almost 7:30pm and within 30 minutes, everyone was motioning for us to leave the store.

So, we got to experience one cultural aspect of Sundays and after 8pm being quiet times.

In our 3 years here now though, we have gotten used to this! :)

WorldThruOurEyes.com

Ahem. On reading that long list.  I just marvel at how some individuals in the human genome can experience a seemingly simple everyday task and then ..................................................................  turn it into the most complex set imaginable (for themselves).

Karen Kavett have made a humorous depiction on how a every day interface like youtube can become a challenge : - karenkavett.com/blogp/youtubeflowchart_final_big.jpg

or, the simple act of choosing a font (by douglas wood) :
- mrdouglaswood.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/soyouneedatypeface.jpg

Maybe we should stop once in a while and re-look our own habits or simply reminisce why people around us seems pretty au-fait with why things are the way the are.

I am malaysian who have  live in germany last 2 years,  i admitted that your experience is same like mine...luckily i live there only a year..and i am happy come back home now.

Hello

I have come from the UK and have been living in Germany for about 6 months now. I find most of the comments and experiences on these post comical to say the least. Where ever you go, who ever you go with, what ever you see, it helps to prepare with some basic research!

In this digital age - information is much more readily available than say 20 years ago - so the fact that shops are not open on Sunday, for example, should not come as a shock to people.

In this day and age it is oh so easy to stereotype people (rude, arrogant, etc etc). I prefer to initially give people the benefit of the doubt and just try to interact. If they act like an a** then thats their problem and move on - its no excuse to label the whole population based on interaction with a few individuals.

To date my experiences in Germany have been positive - but a common theme, from many many posts that I have read, is for you to learn the language. Only good can come out of that.. :)

Anyway - have a nice day.

It is amazing to read all your experiences and views. I agree on a lot of stuffs too. A few of my observations, however, applies not only to the german culture but on the western culture in general.

One significant cultural difference I observed when I moved to Germany in 2012 is how they address people. In my country, any person older than you should be addressed with 'ate/kuya', sir/maam, tita/tito' respectively. If you address someone older than you with his first name only(without his permission) then you are labelled as disrespectful. When you address a teacher it should be 'Maam/Sir Müller' and a doctor should be 'Dr. MÜller' regardless of how long you've been working with each other.

Here in Germany, the kids call me or anybody in first name basis. I worked as an aupair and the kids just address me so and I am also to call my hostparents in their first names.
Now a working nurse in a german hospital, I am caught offguard that some nurses just call the doctors by their first names too!

Second difference is the worship of the sun and tanned skin. On my first trip to DM, I was amazed at the variety of tanning lotions and creams on sale. It is funny because in the Philippines, most drogeries sell whitening lotions and creams because the lighter your skincolor is, the beautiful you are to the public. While a lot (if not most of them) of Germans spend a lot of time under the sun and some even in Solariums, there are also a considerable number of fortunate Filipinos who spend money on whitening injections or treatments. And yes, we do use umbrellas to protect us from the sun and no, not all of us wear bikinis at the beach!

Third difference is this attitude of the Germans to be DIRECT and FIRM on things. Sometimes, there are no handling allowed on anything. The law is law, the price is the price, the required documents should be complied exactly as described. The Germans don't have second thoughts on telling you their opinion on your work, etc.

Fourth, the german language. Working in the health sector wherein COMMUNICATION is the A and O, it has been hard from the beginning. While most of them are patient and understanding about your shortcomings and even helpful to assist you express yourself, it cannot be avoided that they'd snap at you once things has to be done swiftly and you're swallowing a vital information that they need.

Anyway, I'm enjoying my time here in Germany. Best regards to everyone!

I have already written a mail on this topic. Now I want to write a new one because my situation has now changed. I am going to move back to a town where we lived before, between 2006 and 2008.  This town is called Waltershausen, which is not far from Erfurt. We have moved round a lot in Germany, but this one place is still in my heart, and I was then sorry to leave, being due to not finding an appartment, after selling our house at the time.
Since my husband died last November, I am very lonely and unhappy.  I have a lot of friends there, also with contact on Facebook. The people in this town are very friendly and kind. After receiving a bereavement card signed by 12 people that remembered us, I decided to visit the town again, between the years.  I had a lovely time and have even been offered a nice flat at a reasonable rent in the centre of the town, I can also do my music again,  as their are a lot of musicians there, and have already been asked to join them in a band. I was in a kind of a clique at the time, and this clique still exists today, naturally the people are all older. I am very happy for this new chance, as after having lost my husband, it gives me a new perspective and I will not be so alone. There are also more shops there now than before, and everything is within walking distance to all facilities and shops.  I am happy that I have had this positive experience, and they are all looking forward to me moving back.  Waltershausen is also a very lively town with some 12.000 inhabitants. Here in the Eifel it is very boring for me, and one must have a car to get around, and also the people seem to just live for themselves. I am very glad that I have this positive chance to change my life.

I have experienced almost everything mentioned above in the year that I've been living in Germany.  I feel that it's very normal to be negative and that is due to the cultural shock.  I do feel that someone with a warm, bubbly,  happy, smilling and helpful personality will definitely need more time to learn and adapt to the German culture.  But given some time I think I might just enjoy Germany.

Language is important, you don't have to be super fluent but if you try and if you can mention that your German is not so good(in German) then you will have a much pleasant experience.

The German culture is really something that needs time to get use to. Like my sister in law said " let Germany grow onto you" with anything that grows, patience and time is required

The only difficulty I am battling with is depression, which I think is due to lack of Vitamin D (South African lovely Sun)
So yes at the moment I am very sad and will be very negative and withdrawn and upset but I know I should not take it out on the German culture or people.

Let me know if other African Expats are experiencing this

Thanks

You have this country down to a science. Congratulations.

TominStuttgart:

My post was from my blog from an American audience...in my state we used to return bottles, but have not for years....we do glass recycling instead.

Also when I lived in Germany it was in Erlangen, which used to have an American Army base nearby...so they had "American" sections in their supermarkets (Rewe, Edeka, etc)

bopper wrote:

TominStuttgart:

My post was from my blog from an American audience...in my state we used to return bottles, but have not for years....we do glass recycling instead.
...so they had "American" sections in their supermarkets (Rewe, Edeka, etc)

So Tom, out of curiousity : when u say : used to return bottles,..., *but* do glass recycling *instead*, it created an explosion of cognitive disonant messages in my mind and since every 1000kg of recycled glass saves 300 kg CO2, it could mean any of the following (some tongue in the cheek):

a) there are no glass bottles in the US anymore. Hence glass bottle recycling is not necessary.
b) Recycling is defined differently in the US - and is limited to actions that includes breaking stuff into smaller pieces.
c) recycling of "private company" glass is not necessary for bottles, you simply wash whatever the previous user did with it (petrol, cyanide, roundup, brake fluid). A well known softdrink brand can hence wash such bottle 7000 times. The distinctive taste thus improves, with milky surface bottles.
d) it's customary to have a glass melting pot in the average US home to recycle bottles yourself.
e) The natural regressive bottle colour lifecycle (clear, yellow, green, brown) of multiple glass recycling actions is not applied in the US, simply add colourant.
f) Bottles are indisposable components for landfill and its's against a county law from 1822 to recycle it.

PS. With American you didn 't mean to include Canada or South America, but basically the US (or does it hold true in the rest also?). This term can be confusing for an international audience.

The grocery shopping, specifically having groceries checked out is an experience in itself. Forget customer service, everything is thrown either in your cart or stays on the band and then it is up to you to quickly remove your items. The check out lady is not taking a break to wait till you are done and starts checking the next customer.
The other one is that most German people do not know how to stand in line. Everyone rushes in one pile to get on bus or train.

Great useful advice.  In some stores they have a parking garage associated with the grocery store and other stores, then you need to have the cashier stamp your ticket, then before you go out to your car, they have a machine into which your put your ticket (just in case you forgot to have it stamped, you will owe s few coins).  Take your ticket in the car and you will need it again when driving out.

Can't emphasize enough when living in a foreign country, learn the language and get proficient, your stay will be so much more enjoyable and the locals will respect you and many times include you.

I do agree with your remarks. I find this as well. Also Germans are very bad at saying Thank you.
But inspite of these small problems, they are a great race and I do have many friends here.

christiana1945 wrote:

The grocery shopping, specifically having groceries checked out is an experience in itself. Forget customer service, everything is thrown either in your cart or stays on the band and then it is up to you to quickly remove your items. The check out lady is not taking a break to wait till you are done and starts checking the next customer.
The other one is that most German people do not know how to stand in line. Everyone rushes in one pile to get on bus or train.

The short text above is a very typical example of culture shock (not just in Germany):
While in a culture shock, one gets worked up about minor details or differences between the host country and what one was used to elsewhere.
But in the end, such complaints achieve no change on the part of the locals, but a wedge between them and oneself and, as a result, one's own loneliness, feeling of displacement and unhappiness.
A better approach is a non-judgemental and tolerant noticing of the differences and dealing with them accordingly: It's just a fact that shopping is not the best way to excert a smile out of a German - and bus-entering stampedes have entertainment value to any spectator.
It depends on your attitude whether Germany (or anywhere else, for that matter) is a great place or a hellhole!

beppi wrote:
christiana1945 wrote:

The grocery shopping....

I, for one,  appreciate the speed at which the lines advance, hence it is quite natural that the checkout also happens efficiently. So from my perspective this can be also seen as something positive. It's a question of perspective afterall.

Are you familiar with an on-line tool called GlobeSmart? Check it out. It shows you what your preferred working style is and you can compare to others plus lots of good tips.

Bennhold wrote:

Are you familiar with an on-line tool called GlobeSmart? Check it out. It shows you what your preferred working style is and you can compare to others plus lots of good tips.

Thx. Bennhold. From the dimensions, used by Globesmart --> it looks like Globesmart is based on the reference work from from culture guru Geert Hofstede called "cultures in organisations" - university publication excerpt software of the mind

I still have 1st edition book- it's quite useful to explain how cultures influence peoples thinking.
I'm not sure how much Globesmart costs but the book is an academic reference at most universities for MBA's - So looking at the online version, it definitely more colourful and aesthically pleasing than the black and white print.

One of the most shocking things for a Brit is the fact that Germans do have a sense of humour and do laugh... something no Brit is bought up to expect.
Then you find the efficiency is no better than in the UK (trains can be several hours late), and the engineering is often worse (just look at those electrical sockets, nothing at all to recommend them!)

Audi drivers have massive chips on their shoulders (try overtaking a big Audi in a little Opel Corsa.... see how angry they get, probably because they spent a lot on a Skoda with the wrong badge).  BMW drivers own the roads... all of them. Merc drivers tend to be reasonable sensibly. Everyone else is a tiny minority who best manage by being nice to each other and ignoring the chips and road owners,

I think first time to a sauna was a culture shock of biblical proportions.

Hello hditchman,
I do find your article very true. My husband, who unfortunately died last November, and also British, said the same things as you said about drivers in bigger and smaller cars. It must be a German trait. I am now moving back to East Germany, where I prefer to live. Was there before for 2 years and find the people friendlier and more open and all love British 60`s and 70`s music. If you`re a musician that`s the place to be. Waltershausen.