Current Storm Season

Lets use this one thread to track and discuss the storms as they come up!

And now we have ERIKA to  watch.  Looks like a bigger storm then Danny but no real strength yet.  Currently the track shows her effecting the north coast -  lets hope for some much needed rain.

The remnants of Danny are giving us some rain on the south coast right now.

Yes fingers are crossed for Erika!!!

Bob K

Is there a web site that's good to use to see the storms on the way?

There are several.  Here is the American site http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

I like this one as it has a lot of different pieces of information.  He links to a lot of other sites and places for information: http://spaghettimodels.com/

Mike does a great job on the spaghetti model site.

Bob K

Looks like Erika has shifted a bit and now will be a bit further off the coast giving us less of a chance of rain and what we get will not be what we need. 

Maybe the next one????

Bob K

If she stays on this track you should get some rain but not as much as you may want.   She is packing a lot of water this one. They are expecting 3 to 5 inches in Puerto Rico and in these drought conditions that means a lot of flooding!!! 

You should start getting some rain tomorrow,  fingers crossed.

It should start effecting the north coast are tomorrow afternoon with some showers late in the day.

Bob K

I am taking back part of what I said.... based on this mornings updated track and size I think you will get a lot of rain on the north coast.  She still has not taken that turn north ...... lets watch and see.

Yep latest update from the NHC has it as a direct hit on the Puerto Plata area with 40-45MPH winds and 8 inches or more of rain.  Could be a doozy. Can't believe the first significant storm in eons and I am 8,000 miles away in Bucharest.  Coming home Sunday and hopefully not to  a mess.

Be careful of what you wish for....

Bob K

Oh wow Bob I didn't know you were away!!!!    Those 8 inches are possible but  3 to 5 is expected.  Lets hope  everyone stays safe and the reservoirs fill up.

The entire north and east coast is under a code yellow. You need to be preparing for this storm now!

great info guys about those links.. Thanks !

I use those sites for almost all the info I need.

We are now under a tropical storm warning, we prepared and closed the office and will stay closed tomorrow!  Even on the south coast we are expecting a lot of rain. North and east coast please be careful.

Yep still on track for a direct hit on the north coast. Should arrive late Friday night and NHC forecast is for 5-8 inches of rain and up to a foot.

Take in the patio furniture, make sure you have batteries for your flashlights, and lots of bottled water.  I expect electric to be out for a day or two so if on generator fill up the fuel tanks as well as your car gas tanks.

Stay safe all you all

Bob K

The center should be over Puerto Plata / Sosua area about 8 pm. That means the rain will start hours before. Make sure you are ready.

I am amazed how many people have NO idea a storm is coming! Make sure you tell the people you know, don't assume anyone else knows!

Well Planner batten down your hatches as well.  As of this morning she has shifted a fair piece south and now a direct hit in  your area and not the North Coast though we should get some rain. Most of the rain shield is to the south of the center.

Typical woman ... can't make up her mind :D:D:D

In any event the DR is in for some rain and wind.

Bob K

Yes I have been watching and looks like we are in for it. She is about 150 km ese of us. Currently it's very quiet here, no vehicles of motorcycles, wind gusts and some rain. I will update as I can.

Good luck and stay safe!

Bob K

Its been raining most of last night and on and off today here in Bonao. But nothing major yet.

Lots of rain and wind for the last couple hours. The worst of the storm is on the backside of her.

Trees are bent in half when the wind gusts, lots of debree flying around.

Not "debree"......it is ..debris.  1st. time ever..Gotcha!  I shouldn't talk with my lack of spelling ability. Good luck & be safe. Love ya!

Hahahaha thanks honey. Updates as long as I have batteries and internet.

Actually looks like it is passing south so not much instore for us in the Sosua area.

Bob K

She has continued west, still hasn't turned north!

Total bust for us.  Checking the sites it looks like just over an inch of rain in the last 24 hours. Currently it shows cloudy skies no rain and a 7 MPH wind.  Another no show for us.

However looks like the south coast got lots of rain and wind.

Bob K

That we did. About 3 1/2 inches of rain at my house. Lots of wind but no damage.

Hope all is well for you today Planner.  It was a total bust for us also in St Maarten, including NO RAIN STILL!.. Had some good winds, but only a few sprinkles.  Seems it's been  downgraded to a trough now.

All good here, some trees down, some flooding of low lying areas nothing major.

The country got some much needed rain without huge  damage. Some 10,000 people were evacuated and 900 homes damaged or destroyed apparently. Much less then it could have been!

Still not great.  I really feel for those poor folks flooded out in Dominica.  Glad all is well with you.

I have been watching your updates.   I have friends and family in Puerto Plata, Santo Domingo and Santiago.  Thank you so much.  I'm glad there was only a little damage and hope that those that need rain get it soon. 

Here in Calgary we are battling smoke filled air from BC and from Washington forest fires!   Hoping for rain there too.

Regards,
Debra

Thanks Debra, I have friends in Calgary and have heard about the smoke. Fingers crossed for rain there too.

wow that was dissapointing

Sort of like a Dominican worker.  Says he will be here "tomorrow" and never shows. :D

Bob K

You guys keep laughing.....  one day we will get clobbered by a storm........

ha ha ha  yes Bob.. it is always Manana with them !!   Arnaud is having his tools shipped to Sosua and in regards to time, he works according to the North American standards !