Appointment for carteira de trabalho

Hi guys,

First of all I would really like to thank all the members of this forum who helped me in making my life easier in Brazil. Trust me, with this website, one does not have to take help from any local person. Finally I got my protocol based on marriage and all thanks to this forum.

My next problem is getting carteira de trabalho (CTPS). I have all the documents but when I went to Minstrio de Trabalho near Republica,  I got the appointment date on 10 Jan 2014. I cannot stay without work till then. Can someone please suggest me any other office where I can get an appointment on a near date or if there are any other ways around to get a closer date.

Thanks so much again!!!

What state do you live in? If there is only one MTE in your state you will need to wait. However, I have never heard of the MTE making appointments. It is usually first come first serve - or at least that is how it is in the Amazonas.

http://yoursmiles.org/ksmile/flag6/brazil-flag-waving-smile.gif

Matt V. - Manaus, Amazonas, Brasil
Visit my Personal Blog - brazilbs.blogspot.com

Hi Matt,

I am staying in Sao Paulo and initially I thot its first come first serve but thats not the case in Sao Paulo. The lady at the reception gave me an appointment on 10th Jan and said everything is full before that :-(

Okay. James is more familiar than I am with SP, I am sure he will chime in here and give you some suggestions.

http://yoursmiles.org/ksmile/flag6/brazil-flag-waving-smile.gif

Matt V. - Manaus, Amazonas, Brasil
Visit my Personal Blog - brazilbs.blogspot.com

First of all did you tell them that you are a foreigner at reception? If not they would have just lumped you in with everybody else.

Unfortunately foreigners can only apply for their CTPS at the Regional Superintendency of the MTE. The office on Martins Fontes is the only one in São Paulo. See the link below for other cities in the state if you wish to travel to obtain a CTPS.

http://portal.mte.gov.br/delegacias/sp/campinas/

Hi James,

No I did not tell them that I am a foreigner. Would that make any difference? The lady at reception did see protocol in my passport. Do you think there is some special way out for foreigners?

Also, by Martin Fontes, do you mean the office which is close to Republica?

Thanks,
Mithilesh

You could try just walking right past the reception and go up to the second floor. There is another desk there where foreigners apply. Perhaps even if you are supposed to have an appointment, but don't they'll let you apply anyway. Usually they're not tooooooooooooo busy there.

Hi James,

I just went to office at Rua Montes. From now on u can apply to other offices as well but these people are not even sure on how to take the appointments..someone is telling to take it online and someone is asking to take it through phone..its all messed up.i could not have been less frustrated..

Frustration? In Brazil? Could it be? NEVER!

I assure you, you can not do it online. Further, the phone here is useless. They often use the excuse - we don't take calls, you have to come in in person and ask your questions. My response? Why answer your phone?

When I went it, I was literally directed to an entirely different floor in the building where offices were. There were no people waiting. It definitely was not where the Brazilian citizens go.

Matt-

Unfortunately, this is exactly what happens in a country where public servants all think that they are more important than Almighty God. Worse still in a country where all Brazilians just accept that attitude and do nothing to curb it.

There are no rules that are firm and fast, none that are universal and none that the civil servants don't change on you right in the middle of the game.

Welcome to the brutal reality of Brazil. Bureaucracy wasn't invented here, but Brazilians have turned it into pure SCIENCE.

A little off topic, but I just went to Banco do Brasil and tried withdraw R$1.000 the transaction declined because the machine didn't have money - BUT STILL DEBITED MY ACCOUNT. How does that happen? Now I am out $1,000USD until this situation is fixed because I attempted with two account.

AFFFFFF!

Hi Matt,

Actually no, your account has been debited most likely, but you will eventually get the money back. It can take up to 6 months though, I know because I once went through exactly the same situation.

What you have to do is first of all take the ATM transaction slip back to the branch where the withdrawl was supposed to have been made but wasn't completed. Speak to the branch manager and explain what happened. They are required by law to confirm their machines several times daily so he/she certainly must be aware of your transaction.

You should also contact your home bank informing them of the circumstances of the transaction as well. If you have an e-mail address for them so much the better since you can scan the ATM transaction slip and send it to them as well. Depending on their policy they may immediately refund your money and cancel the transfer to the Brazilian bank branch. Otherwise it will have to go through the full process until you get your money refunded.

I would also recommend that you go to the cartório and get them to make a cópia autenticada of the ATM slip. Don't part with the original even if the manager at Banco do Brasil demands it. Give him/her the certified copy and state firmly that you will only turn over the original once your money has been refunded, regardless of how long that may take.

Cheers,
James

I understand in Sao Paulo they are doing a computer upgrade and thus that is why they are only taking CTPS by appointments untill the upgrade is finished it has been in the news

Oi Pathak,

Did you get your CTPS ?

How long it will take to get CTPS ? 

How much we paid the fees for CTPS ?

PLease explain me asap.

I am also married brasilian and I have my new CIE also. I got an appointment next month 22nd.

Regards
Edward

To Get the CTPS is free provided you have a CPF and present a copy of your CIE and CPF to them. If you don't have a CPF there is a small fee for the it R$5,80 this can be paid at the Post office or Bank of Brazil once you print the form
I have attached a website which can direct you to the website to pay the Fee for a CPF
When I got my CTPS all I did was walk in and it took only a matter of minutes. I then had to return the following day to get my green book
This of course is for Manaus it may be different in other states

see this website for details
http://www.liveinbrazil.org/getting-cpf/

It has a bunch of useful info

Actually the post office and banks don't do the CPF anymore, you have to go directly to the office of the Receita Federal. They give you the CPF number right away and there is no charge at the Receita.

Note: They no longer give out the plastic wallet card anymore, they give you a website where you can print off your own card (I'd recommend that you get it laminated in plastic at a stationery shop). This card provides a website where it can be validated by anyone who should want to do that (highly unlikely that will ever happen though).

Cheers,
James

Actually I do have to say that the information I had for the CPF given previously is a year and a half old and it could have changed since I got mine.  Brazil is wonderful they take something that works and bureaucratize it so information you once had is now out of date,  but it does make sense to centralize it  at the offices of the Receita Federal do Brazil. Since I haven't the need to get one again I am here on permanencia my information may be out of date on this part

Ok wait a minuete....can you apply for your Carteira at any Superintendencia MTE.....not just the one closet to where you registered with the FP?
What happened was I was all set to get mine 3 weeks ago , but when I went to the office for the second time for my now booked appointment , they were shut on strike
I went travelling the next day for 3 weeks and going back in a day or two....when I would have picked it up
but now it's obviously not done and I'm thinking of moving very soon SP state new city and once I'm setteled do the whole register with the FP routine , but I'm trying to hang on to pick up my CIE before moving which should be in a month. Confusing , anyway ....so it's possible for me to do the carteira in a different city

Up until recently expats could only apply for their Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social - CTPS at the Superintendência Regional in their city, or that serves their city if it doesn't have one of its own.

This is in the process of being changed so that expats can apply at any office of the MTE that is connected to CTPSWeb, however not all are on the system yet and like most things here in Brazil the staff at the MTE aren't given information about the new changes, so for the timebeing it is best to go to the Suprintendência Regional of the MTE anyway.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team